Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > forcing dismounts in Windows XP

forcing dismounts in Windows XP

yawnmoth

i have a USB hard drive, and when i want to unplug it to plug it into
another computer, i almost always get an error saying that the
harddrive is still in use when i try to "safely remove hardware".
since all the applications i opened stuff with it are closed, i'd like
to be able to just force a dismount, but i'm not really sure how to do
that, either.

any ideas? thanks

HF

Whilst USB hotplugs why not just switch off to remove it.
"yawnmoth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> i have a USB hard drive, and when i want to unplug it to plug it into
> another computer, i almost always get an error saying that the
> harddrive is still in use when i try to "safely remove hardware".
> since all the applications i opened stuff with it are closed, i'd like
> to be able to just force a dismount, but i'm not really sure how to do
> that, either.
>
> any ideas? thanks

---

Thor

As long as write caching is disabled (as it normally is disabled by default
for removable devices), and you know that there no drive access activity
occurring, then just unplug the USB cable. I always try to stop the device
first with the normal procedure, but when you get that message, (and it
happens alot it seems) despite knowing that there is nothing going on at the
time, you can just unplug the USB cable. I have found that sometimes it
helps to wait a minute or two after your last activity involving the
removable device before trying to stop it via the "safely remove hardware"
option. Sometimes it takes windowsXP a bit to acknowledge that nothing is
happening on that drive.