Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > ASRock K7S8XE+ RAM?

ASRock K7S8XE+ RAM?

Jess Fertudei

Hello.

I have an ASRock K7S8XE+ . The first piece of RAM I had in it was bad and
when the vendor returned it, it was not 8 chip, but rather 16. At a glance
it seems to run fine. I am wondering, though, about running it with my other
chip.

Will I have problems on this board if I run a PC2700 Crucial 64X64 16 chip
double sided 512M chip along with a PC2700 K-Byte (Avant) 8 chip single
sided 256M?

I'm guessing I need to run the 512 in the first slot if I can... if it's not
gonna work out, would memtest86 v3.1 catch any issues if I boot to that
first (both chips have tested OK alone... don't wan't to waste hours testing
if I don't need to).

Most thoughts appreciated.

Plato

Jess Fertudei wrote:

> I'm guessing I need to run the 512 in the first slot if I can... if it's not
> gonna work out, would memtest86 v3.1 catch any issues if I boot to that
> first (both chips have tested OK alone... don't wan't to waste hours testing
> if I don't need to).

ram testers test ram. They dont test if one stick can sleep with another
stick.

Jess Fertudei

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:4176103a$0$44913$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jess Fertudei wrote:
> >
> > I'm guessing I need to run the 512 in the first slot if I can... if it's

not
> > gonna work out, would memtest86 v3.1 catch any issues if I boot to that
> > first (both chips have tested OK alone... don't wan't to waste hours

testing
> > if I don't need to).

> ram testers test ram. They dont test if one stick can sleep with another
> stick.

Thanks... that's what I kind of figured. They both run OK on their own...
I'll just have to stick them in there and see what happens.

By the way... what is it that I need to edit in my 98SE partition to get it
to run OK with the 512 or 768 Megs? I don't use it a lot, but I do from time
to time and it now runs slower than heck. XP seems very happy witht the new
board and doubled RAM.