Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Dual Network Cards On Server Into two switches

Dual Network Cards On Server Into two switches

Amy L.

I have a server that I would like to use two intel nic's in and have
one card go to one switch (4506) and the other card go to the other
switch (4506). The network cards in the server will be teamed (i.e.
one IP address across both nic's).

Is there any switch based configuration that is done in this
configuration? I ask this because it appears as if the intel cards
can be set to do spanning tree.

Any advice?

Thanks
Amy.

shope

"Amy L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a server that I would like to use two intel nic's in and have
> one card go to one switch (4506) and the other card go to the other
> switch (4506). The network cards in the server will be teamed (i.e.
> one IP address across both nic's).

i have built several nets using multiple links to servers - but i do the
network plumbing not all that complicated server stuff....

you need to be careful as there and lots of different ways to implement this
and they have different side effects on throughput, resilience and alter the
network requirements.

I suggest you look for a white paper @ Intel (or possibly the driver
writer - some of these arrangements use server drivers rather than NIC
teaming drivers) which describes what you are trying to achieve and work
from that.

stuff below assumes you only want IP access to the server

> Is there any switch based configuration that is done in this
> configuration?

You want the 2 server NICs to appear in the same subnet. Try to make sure
that a network fault cant "split" this subnet into 2 pieces, or when it does
you lose access to the server in various exotic ways that are difficult to
debug.

I ask this because it appears as if the intel cards
> can be set to do spanning tree.

This means the server is bridging between the NICs - you dont want that as
it will reduce throughput rather than increase it.

you want the 2 NICs to act as a single IP interface, and no other
protocols - not bridging and not spanning tree.

--
Regards

scott enwright

Amy,

I've had a quick look at Intels site and located the relevant document you
should read. The URL is
http://support.intel.com/support/net...rver/index.htm

The document indicates that there six methods that you can configure adpater
teaming (two or more adpaters working together). These include:

a.. Adapter Fault Tolerance (AFT) - provides automatic redundancy for your
server's network connection. If the primary adapter fails, the secondary
adapter takes over. Adapter Fault Tolerance supports two to eight adapters
per team. This teaming mode works with any hub or switch, and all team
members must be connected to the same device.

b.. Switch Fault Tolerance (SFT) - provides a failover relationship
between two adapters when each adapter is connected to a separate switch.
Switch Fault Tolerance supports two adapters per team. Spanning Tree
Protocol (STP) must be enabled when you create a team in SFT mode. SFT is
only available on computers running Windows NT* 4.0, Windows* XP, and
Windows 2000. This teaming mode works with any switch.

c.. Adaptive Load Balancing (ALB) - provides load balancing of transmit
traffic and adapter fault tolerance. In Windows operating systems, you can
also enable or disable receive load balancing (RLB) in ALB teams. This
teaming mode works with any switch.

d.. FEC*/Link Aggregation/802.3ad: static mode - provides increased
transmission and reception throughput in a team of two to eight adapters
operating at 100 Mbps. This mode also includes adapter fault tolerance and
load balancing (only routed protocols). This teaming mode requires a switch
with Intel's Link Aggregation or Cisco's FEC capability.

e.. GEC/Link Aggregation/802.3ad: static mode - is the gigabit extension
of the FEC/Link Aggregation/802.3ad: static mode. All team members must
operate at gigabit speeds.

f.. IEEE 802.3ad: dynamic mode - creates one or more teams using dynamic
Link Aggregation with mixed-speed adapters. Like the static Link Aggregation
modes, Dynamic 802.3ad teams increase transmission and reception throughput
and provide fault tolerance. This teaming mode requires a switch that fully
supports the IEEE 802.3ad standard.

Goodluck,

Scott.

"Amy L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a server that I would like to use two intel nic's in and have
> one card go to one switch (4506) and the other card go to the other
> switch (4506). The network cards in the server will be teamed (i.e.
> one IP address across both nic's).
>
> Is there any switch based configuration that is done in this
> configuration? I ask this because it appears as if the intel cards
> can be set to do spanning tree.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks
> Amy.

Amy L.

Thanks Scott,

This was exactly what I was looking for.

Amy,