Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > security

security

Robert Clark

As a relatively new computer user, my concern is identify theft. I have
taken precautions against piracy while accessing the Internet by using
firewall software. My question - for more advanced users- is there a risk
posed when a computer is taken into a shop for repairs that some
unscrupulous "technoid" could access important personal financial
information (such as PIN #s or passwords) that has been used "on line"? If
so...how can that risk be eliminated? If it is a simply stupid question,
just let me know.

Ken Dennis

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:47:15 -0700, Robert Clark wrote:

> As a relatively new computer user, my concern is identify theft. I have
> taken precautions against piracy while accessing the Internet by using
> firewall software. My question - for more advanced users- is there a risk
> posed when a computer is taken into a shop for repairs that some
> unscrupulous "technoid" could access important personal financial
> information (such as PIN #s or passwords) that has been used "on line"? If
> so...how can that risk be eliminated? If it is a simply stupid question,
> just let me know.

Robert,

Being a bit paranoid is probably a good thing, however it can cause a lot
of undue stress. If you take your computer to a store for repairs, then
yes the person would have access to anything that is stored on that PC.
That said, when you login to on-line banking and other such facilities you
typically are using SSL or Secure Socket Layer. I would hope that your
passwords and user names are not sent as clear text.

Good practice would dictate not to keep documents on your PC that you
wouldn't want anyone to read if they were to gain access to your PC by
some means, or by the evil technoid Backup your data to CD or diskette
if you are really concerned. It's a good idea to clear out your Internet
history and cache files in your web browser on a regular basis. Run
spyware detection softwares such as Spybot or Ad-Aware.

As far as the evil technoid part. Well I suppose if they really wanted to
screw with the clients they could install a key logger on the PC before
returning it to the user and have to e-mail or send the data to whatever
location, but I would *hope* that doesn't happen very often if at all.
Anything you can do to take a proactive step towards privacy and security
is probably a good thing.

Cheers,

--
Ken Dennis
http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net:8089/

Era

Ken Dennis wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:47:15 -0700, Robert Clark wrote:
>

>>As a relatively new computer user, my concern is identify theft. I have
>>taken precautions against piracy while accessing the Internet by using
>>firewall software. My question - for more advanced users- is there a risk
>>posed when a computer is taken into a shop for repairs that some
>>unscrupulous "technoid" could access important personal financial
>>information (such as PIN #s or passwords) that has been used "on line"? If
>>so...how can that risk be eliminated? If it is a simply stupid question,
>>just let me know.

> Robert,
>
> Being a bit paranoid is probably a good thing, however it can cause a lot
> of undue stress. If you take your computer to a store for repairs, then
> yes the person would have access to anything that is stored on that PC.
> That said, when you login to on-line banking and other such facilities you
> typically are using SSL or Secure Socket Layer. I would hope that your
> passwords and user names are not sent as clear text.
>
> Good practice would dictate not to keep documents on your PC that you
> wouldn't want anyone to read if they were to gain access to your PC by
> some means, or by the evil technoid Backup your data to CD or diskette
> if you are really concerned. It's a good idea to clear out your Internet
> history and cache files in your web browser on a regular basis. Run
> spyware detection softwares such as Spybot or Ad-Aware.
>
> As far as the evil technoid part. Well I suppose if they really wanted to
> screw with the clients they could install a key logger on the PC before
> returning it to the user and have to e-mail or send the data to whatever
> location, but I would *hope* that doesn't happen very often if at all.

Is there some ways to check this? Any applications that does it or does
Spybot/Virus buster etc... check these sorts of snooping?

> Anything you can do to take a proactive step towards privacy and security
> is probably a good thing.
>
> Cheers,

Ken Dennis

> Is there some ways to check this? Any applications that does it or does
> Spybot/Virus buster etc... check these sorts of snooping?

Honestly I haven't really come across this problem, I just threw it out
there as a "possibility". I've seen a few key logger programs that
parents have installed to spy on their children's internet activity and
most of them are designed to be pretty hidden, so the person doesn't know
they are being watched. Often they are installed in to the System
directory of the operating system to try and blend in, and may not show up
in the running programs either. I would hazard to guess that some
antivirus software or spyware type application is 'probably' on the look
out for these things, but I'm not really sure. Again I am sure 'most'
stores wouldn't risk tainting their reputation by doing something like
this, I just threw it out there as a possibility.

--
Ken Dennis
http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net:8089/

xphelpgroup@yahoo.co.uk

There are quite a few areas that can be tackled to secure your pc. As there
is so many from Online banking security and phishing scams that can be
prevented by a few clicks i know a website which shows you step by step
instruction with free competition,freeware downloads,free technical support
in all areas including the new sp2 among many many many more stuff..and YES
it is free all the time every time... To go there the address is
www.xphelpgroup.co.uk and also they have a group aswell which you sign up
for for free too...this realy is the one place you should at least pop in
and see as it is very well worth it......All the best Gazzajosh
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

Wizard

> There are quite a few areas that can be tackled to secure your pc. As
> there is so many from Online banking security and phishing scams that
> can be prevented by a few clicks i know a website which shows you
> step by step instruction with free competition,freeware
> downloads,free technical support in all areas including the new sp2
> among many many many more stuff

Ok, you know a website. Do you know a ****ing full stop, you illiterate ****
on a stick?

xphelpgroup@yahoo.co.uk