Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Athlon XP vs. Pentium IV

Athlon XP vs. Pentium IV

Bradley Hayward

Is there an enormous difference between the Athlon XP and Pentium IV
processors? I use my current computer mostly for the internet (no
gaming) and photo editing. I just received an iPod and have to buy new
(I should have long ago, anyway)...but I don't want to go with the
cheaper Athlon if it won't work smoothly for my purposes.

Matt Pascoe

Athlon

"Bradley Hayward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CJzcd.10203$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Is there an enormous difference between the Athlon XP and Pentium IV
> processors? I use my current computer mostly for the internet (no gaming)
> and photo editing. I just received an iPod and have to buy new (I should
> have long ago, anyway)...but I don't want to go with the cheaper Athlon if
> it won't work smoothly for my purposes.

David

I just got an Athlon 64, which is a bit faster than the Athlon XP. It
is a 3200+ in an HP Pavilion. It will be able to run the new 64 bit
OS's. AAMOF, 64 bit XP is available now via download for early adopters!

Various benchmarking program tests give the nod to the 64 sometimes, and
occasionally to the P4's. Overall, I think the 64 is a great value.

I'm not sure if the speed difference is "enormous".

David

Bradley Hayward wrote:

> Is there an enormous difference between the Athlon XP and Pentium IV
> processors? I use my current computer mostly for the internet (no
> gaming) and photo editing. I just received an iPod and have to buy new
> (I should have long ago, anyway)...but I don't want to go with the
> cheaper Athlon if it won't work smoothly for my purposes.

Jim Berwick

Bradley Hayward <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:CJzcd.10203
$(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there an enormous difference between the Athlon XP and Pentium IV
> processors? I use my current computer mostly for the internet (no
> gaming) and photo editing. I just received an iPod and have to buy new
> (I should have long ago, anyway)...but I don't want to go with the
> cheaper Athlon if it won't work smoothly for my purposes.

An Athlon XP xxxx+ generally holds up well against a P4 x.xGhz chip, and is
usually cheaper. For net and photo editing (mild photo editing at least),
you'll be fine with either. Get whatever gives you the most for the least
money.