Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > One More DSL Question

One More DSL Question

Roy@home.NOT

Got set up with DSL and wireless router. Now ... Should I be looking
at a firewall. This is a home set up with 2 computers.

Thanks

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Chet

If the router doesn't have integral firewall you need firewall software in
both computers.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got set up with DSL and wireless router. Now ... Should I be looking
> at a firewall. This is a home set up with 2 computers.
>
> Thanks
>
> Roy - Carpe Noctem

James Baber

To Roy:

Most definitely!!!

Anyone accessing the internet via an always on interface like DSL, ISDN, or
CABLE should always use a firewall.

Some access point routers and hubs have integral hardware firewalls (some
Linksys models), Windows XP contains a limited software firewall. and there is
at least 1 good free software firewall (Zone Alarm).

The Zone Alarm product has 1 feature I particularly like, it will not allow your
computer to call over the internet from any internal program without your
specific approval (one time or ongoing option). What this stops is anyone that
finds a way into your computer via some new technic, still cannot download your
data (passwords, financial info. programs you paid for, whatever) or to use your
computer in a denial of service attack on a 3rd party or even as source of porn
for him.

--

Jim Baber

(see my 10kW grid tied solar system at "www.baber.org")

1350 W Mesa Ave.
Fresno CA, 93711
(559) 435-9068
(559) 905-2204 cell

Email (E-Mail Removed)

derek / nul

Roy,

You need to know whether your router is using NAT?
If it is you don't need a firewall on the pc's.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:42:48 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Got set up with DSL and wireless router. Now ... Should I be looking
>at a firewall. This is a home set up with 2 computers.
>
>Thanks
>
>Roy - Carpe Noctem

James Baber

derek / nul wrote:

> Roy,
>
> You need to know whether your router is using NAT?
> If it is you don't need a firewall on the pc's.

Response to Roy's comment from Jim Baber:

What is NAT?

I've been in the hardware and software business since 1957, and although I
started messing with PCs in 1975 with an IMSAI 8080, that particular
abbreviation doesn't ring a bell for me. Lord knows it may be valid, but its
not common.

I am sure that someone who has asked a reasonable, but inexperienced
question about firewalls doesn't know what you are talking about. Give newbies
help, don't blow smoke at them.

--

Jim Baber

(see my 10kW grid tied solar system at "www.baber.org")

1350 W Mesa Ave.
Fresno CA, 93711
(559) 435-9068
(559) 905-2204 cell

Email (E-Mail Removed)

Thagor

James Baber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> derek / nul wrote:
>
>> Roy,
>>
>> You need to know whether your router is using NAT?
>> If it is you don't need a firewall on the pc's.
>>

> Response to Roy's comment from Jim Baber:
>
> What is NAT?
>
> I've been in the hardware and software business since 1957, and
> although I
> started messing with PCs in 1975 with an IMSAI 8080, that particular
> abbreviation doesn't ring a bell for me. Lord knows it may be valid,
> but its not common.
>
> I am sure that someone who has asked a reasonable, but
> inexperienced
> question about firewalls doesn't know what you are talking about.
> Give newbies help, don't blow smoke at them.
>>
>> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 18:42:48 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>Got set up with DSL and wireless router. Now ... Should I be looking
>>>at a firewall. This is a home set up with 2 computers.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Roy - Carpe Noctem

Ever heard of Google?

How Network Address Translation Works
by Jeff Tyson
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm

Roy@home.NOT

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:46:56 GMT, James Baber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>derek / nul wrote:
>
>> Roy,
>>
>> You need to know whether your router is using NAT?
>> If it is you don't need a firewall on the pc's.
>>

>Response to Roy's comment from Jim Baber:
>
>What is NAT?

No prob, dude. The box the router came in says it has SPI.

Jim Berwick

James Baber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:QWlcd.379161$mD.298350@attbi_s02:

> What is NAT?

Network Address Translation. It basically does this:
Net request comes in from internet network, say, IP address 192.168.0.10.
Removes 192.167.0.10 from src IP on packet, puts in the public address of
the router. Sends packet out, when the reply comes back it takes it's
address out of the destination, puts 192.168.0.10 back and sends it back to
the internet network to the right computer.

NAT is not really a firewall. At best, it can be called a poor man's
firewall. However, for the average person, it is more then enough.

Jim Berwick

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> No prob, dude. The box the router came in says it has SPI.

SPI would be Stateful Packet Inspection, which means the router is not just
doing NAT, and it has an actual firewall built in. You're all set, Roy.

Roy@home.NOT

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 07:04:04 +0000, Jim Berwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>SPI would be Stateful Packet Inspection, which means the router is not just
>doing NAT, and it has an actual firewall built in. You're all set, Roy.

YEP. Got NAT with SPI. I'm AOK.

Funny story. My router comes with a 100 page on-line manual, but no
Quick Start, nor a chapter called "Simple Home Setup".

So, I cranked up the install program and carefully wrote down all my
entries as I went through the install. Then I went upstairs to the
GF's computer and looked at the software for her wireless card.

Curiously ... not one of the labels matched. The item my manufacturer
calls a "lion", her manufacturer calls a "tiger", etc. Thought I
correctly second guessed all the labels and put the right information,
but couldn't get it to work.

So, I called a friend who walked me through the entries. When we got
to the 128 bit passcode, he said to look for a 26 character/numeric
code. I said "I'm looking right at it, and it has 22 characters. In
fact, the box isn't big enough for 26 characters. Just room for 22."

"Aha!" Said my friend.

Roy - Carpe Noctem