Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Really weird IE problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Really weird IE problem

 
 
Raven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004
I have been having this problem for a few days now and my ISP says the
problem is not resulting from their end, so I turn to you all for help!
First, the specs..... I am running an Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53) with WinXP
Home SP1, with all other updates and NOT SP2. I have 1 Gb of Ram, 2 HDD (80
Primary, 120 Secondary) a DVD-RW and DVD-Rom and Floppy that has never
seemed to work right. I hope this is all the system specs that you'll need.
My problem is that when I access the internet (Cable connection) it will
always work.....for a short period of time. At some point (unknown when or
how long it takes) I will no longer be able to access any webpages. The
only error that I get is the "Cannot display page" error.
My ISP Tech Support had me unplug my modem and restart the computer then
plug the modem back in. This will get everything going again, but sure
enough, a few minutes later I will have nothing. Now, the strange thing is
that the whole time my modem is showing proper connection and the ISP sees
it as acting normal at a great connection speed. When he tries to ping me,
he cannot. There is no firewall whatsoever on my computer, and there are no
routers. When I try to ping any other site or IP, I get nothing. Usually
if I ping my ISP, I will get a response, just like if I go to my bank's
website, I will for some reason be able to view that, but nothing else. \
I have run Ad-Aware and Spybot and cleared out whatever was in those
(not much). My antivirus is up to date and I did a scan that came up with
nothing. I have Norton SystemWorks, so I did some other tests and
everything was fine. I have double and triple checked that there is no
firewall, and there is none. I have made sure that I have all the Windows
Updates and IE updates.
I have also installed Mozilla and received the same type of problem,
without importing settings. I am at a loss as to why this happens. When
the service does go down, it stay down until I unplug and restart. The
funny thing is that I usually am able to send and receive mail and newsgroup
posts, usually.
My modem is also fairly new, so I have sorta ruled that out as an issue.
Even the Tech Support said it must be something with IE, but after calling
Microsoft, they told me to either pay $35 or log onto their site, as to
which I laughed at. Nothing has changed on the computer, this just all of a
sudden started.
Thanks a lot in advanced for taking the time to read this and for
anything anyone might be able to input.


--
Raven~
"Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me
Real mail - Barnett underscore David at Comcast dot Net


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004

"Raven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been having this problem for a few days now and my ISP says the
> problem is not resulting from their end, so I turn to you all for help!
> First, the specs..... I am running an Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53) with
> WinXP
> Home SP1, with all other updates and NOT SP2. I have 1 Gb of Ram, 2 HDD
> (80
> Primary, 120 Secondary) a DVD-RW and DVD-Rom and Floppy that has never
> seemed to work right. I hope this is all the system specs that you'll
> need.
> My problem is that when I access the internet (Cable connection) it
> will
> always work.....for a short period of time. At some point (unknown when
> or
> how long it takes) I will no longer be able to access any webpages. The
> only error that I get is the "Cannot display page" error.
> My ISP Tech Support had me unplug my modem and restart the computer
> then
> plug the modem back in. This will get everything going again, but sure
> enough, a few minutes later I will have nothing. Now, the strange thing
> is
> that the whole time my modem is showing proper connection and the ISP sees
> it as acting normal at a great connection speed. When he tries to ping
> me,
> he cannot. There is no firewall whatsoever on my computer, and there are
> no
> routers. When I try to ping any other site or IP, I get nothing. Usually
> if I ping my ISP, I will get a response, just like if I go to my bank's
> website, I will for some reason be able to view that, but nothing else. \
> I have run Ad-Aware and Spybot and cleared out whatever was in those
> (not much). My antivirus is up to date and I did a scan that came up with
> nothing. I have Norton SystemWorks, so I did some other tests and
> everything was fine. I have double and triple checked that there is no
> firewall, and there is none. I have made sure that I have all the Windows
> Updates and IE updates.
> I have also installed Mozilla and received the same type of problem,
> without importing settings. I am at a loss as to why this happens. When
> the service does go down, it stay down until I unplug and restart. The
> funny thing is that I usually am able to send and receive mail and
> newsgroup
> posts, usually.
> My modem is also fairly new, so I have sorta ruled that out as an
> issue.
> Even the Tech Support said it must be something with IE, but after calling
> Microsoft, they told me to either pay $35 or log onto their site, as to
> which I laughed at. Nothing has changed on the computer, this just all of
> a
> sudden started.
> Thanks a lot in advanced for taking the time to read this and for
> anything anyone might be able to input.
>
>
> --
> Raven~
> "Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me
> Real mail - Barnett underscore David at Comcast dot Net


One thing to try, when you lose internet connectivity, see if you can renew
the IP address from the cable modem by opening a command prompt window, and
typing "ipconfig /renew" and press enter and see if it grabs an IP address
right away. If it does, see if you get your internet connectivity restored.
If it hangs there forever doing nothing, then it probably has network
communication problem with the cable modem. Also check the device manager
and open the properties for your network card (or USB controllers if your
cable mdoem connects via USB) and disable power management for those
devices.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Internet Traveler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004
I had similar symptoms, blamed the ISP, turned out replacing the network
card ($15) cured it.


"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Raven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have been having this problem for a few days now and my ISP says the
>> problem is not resulting from their end, so I turn to you all for help!
>> First, the specs..... I am running an Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53) with
>> WinXP
>> Home SP1, with all other updates and NOT SP2. I have 1 Gb of Ram, 2 HDD
>> (80
>> Primary, 120 Secondary) a DVD-RW and DVD-Rom and Floppy that has never
>> seemed to work right. I hope this is all the system specs that you'll
>> need.
>> My problem is that when I access the internet (Cable connection) it
>> will
>> always work.....for a short period of time. At some point (unknown when
>> or
>> how long it takes) I will no longer be able to access any webpages. The
>> only error that I get is the "Cannot display page" error.
>> My ISP Tech Support had me unplug my modem and restart the computer
>> then
>> plug the modem back in. This will get everything going again, but sure
>> enough, a few minutes later I will have nothing. Now, the strange thing
>> is
>> that the whole time my modem is showing proper connection and the ISP
>> sees
>> it as acting normal at a great connection speed. When he tries to ping
>> me,
>> he cannot. There is no firewall whatsoever on my computer, and there are
>> no
>> routers. When I try to ping any other site or IP, I get nothing.
>> Usually
>> if I ping my ISP, I will get a response, just like if I go to my bank's
>> website, I will for some reason be able to view that, but nothing else.
>> \
>> I have run Ad-Aware and Spybot and cleared out whatever was in those
>> (not much). My antivirus is up to date and I did a scan that came up
>> with
>> nothing. I have Norton SystemWorks, so I did some other tests and
>> everything was fine. I have double and triple checked that there is no
>> firewall, and there is none. I have made sure that I have all the
>> Windows
>> Updates and IE updates.
>> I have also installed Mozilla and received the same type of problem,
>> without importing settings. I am at a loss as to why this happens. When
>> the service does go down, it stay down until I unplug and restart. The
>> funny thing is that I usually am able to send and receive mail and
>> newsgroup
>> posts, usually.
>> My modem is also fairly new, so I have sorta ruled that out as an
>> issue.
>> Even the Tech Support said it must be something with IE, but after
>> calling
>> Microsoft, they told me to either pay $35 or log onto their site, as to
>> which I laughed at. Nothing has changed on the computer, this just all
>> of a
>> sudden started.
>> Thanks a lot in advanced for taking the time to read this and for
>> anything anyone might be able to input.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Raven~
>> "Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me
>> Real mail - Barnett underscore David at Comcast dot Net

>
> One thing to try, when you lose internet connectivity, see if you can
> renew the IP address from the cable modem by opening a command prompt
> window, and typing "ipconfig /renew" and press enter and see if it grabs
> an IP address right away. If it does, see if you get your internet
> connectivity restored. If it hangs there forever doing nothing, then it
> probably has network communication problem with the cable modem. Also
> check the device manager and open the properties for your network card (or
> USB controllers if your cable mdoem connects via USB) and disable power
> management for those devices.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Raven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004
> I had similar symptoms, blamed the ISP, turned out replacing the network
> card ($15) cured it.
>


Thanks for the idea, but I'm using USB for my connection, so I wonder if I
should replace those or the cable? I did try what Thor had to say:


> > One thing to try, when you lose internet connectivity, see if you can
> > renew the IP address from the cable modem by opening a command prompt
> > window, and typing "ipconfig /renew" and press enter and see if it grabs
> > an IP address right away.


It did seem to work, as far as letting me access the internet, but it got
the same IP. I did a release after the renew and then re-did the renew
(wow, I just confused myself) and it still grabbed the same one, but again
it worked....so it has me wondering.....


Will I have to do this all the time, like evry 10 minutes when my internet
decides to take a nap?


--
Raven~
"Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me
Real mail - Barnett underscore David at Comcast dot Net




 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Mandell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004

"Raven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been having this problem for a few days now and my ISP says the
> problem is not resulting from their end, so I turn to you all for help!
> First, the specs..... I am running an Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53) with
> WinXP
> Home SP1, with all other updates and NOT SP2. I have 1 Gb of Ram, 2 HDD
> (80
> Primary, 120 Secondary) a DVD-RW and DVD-Rom and Floppy that has never
> seemed to work right. I hope this is all the system specs that you'll
> need.
> My problem is that when I access the internet (Cable connection) it
> will
> always work.....for a short period of time. At some point (unknown when
> or
> how long it takes) I will no longer be able to access any webpages. The
> only error that I get is the "Cannot display page" error.
> My ISP Tech Support had me unplug my modem and restart the computer
> then
> plug the modem back in. This will get everything going again, but sure
> enough, a few minutes later I will have nothing. Now, the strange thing
> is
> that the whole time my modem is showing proper connection and the ISP sees
> it as acting normal at a great connection speed. When he tries to ping
> me,
> he cannot. There is no firewall whatsoever on my computer, and there are
> no
> routers. When I try to ping any other site or IP, I get nothing. Usually
> if I ping my ISP, I will get a response, just like if I go to my bank's
> website, I will for some reason be able to view that, but nothing else. \
> I have run Ad-Aware and Spybot and cleared out whatever was in those
> (not much). My antivirus is up to date and I did a scan that came up with
> nothing. I have Norton SystemWorks, so I did some other tests and
> everything was fine. I have double and triple checked that there is no
> firewall, and there is none. I have made sure that I have all the Windows
> Updates and IE updates.
> I have also installed Mozilla and received the same type of problem,
> without importing settings. I am at a loss as to why this happens. When
> the service does go down, it stay down until I unplug and restart. The
> funny thing is that I usually am able to send and receive mail and
> newsgroup
> posts, usually.
> My modem is also fairly new, so I have sorta ruled that out as an
> issue.
> Even the Tech Support said it must be something with IE, but after calling
> Microsoft, they told me to either pay $35 or log onto their site, as to
> which I laughed at. Nothing has changed on the computer, this just all of
> a
> sudden started.
> Thanks a lot in advanced for taking the time to read this and for
> anything anyone might be able to input.

Try the command "ipconfig /flushdns" which will flush out the DNS cache.
Then follow it with "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" as you did
before.

Something that worked for me(at least with one website) was to go to Windows
Explorer and delete the Temp files, then reboot.
>
>
> --
> Raven~
> "Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me
> Real mail - Barnett underscore David at Comcast dot Net
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004

"Raven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I had similar symptoms, blamed the ISP, turned out replacing the network
>> card ($15) cured it.
>>

>
> Thanks for the idea, but I'm using USB for my connection, so I wonder if I
> should replace those or the cable? I did try what Thor had to say:
>
>
>> > One thing to try, when you lose internet connectivity, see if you can
>> > renew the IP address from the cable modem by opening a command prompt
>> > window, and typing "ipconfig /renew" and press enter and see if it
>> > grabs
>> > an IP address right away.

>
> It did seem to work, as far as letting me access the internet, but it got
> the same IP. I did a release after the renew and then re-did the renew
> (wow, I just confused myself) and it still grabbed the same one, but
> again
> it worked....so it has me wondering.....
>
>
> Will I have to do this all the time, like evry 10 minutes when my internet
> decides to take a nap?


Obviously, not. You shouldn't have to. Did you disable all the power
management options on the USB controllers too, as I suggested? Also, since
you are using USB, it may matter what chipset you have on that motherboard.
If it is VIA, those are known to be problematic with USB in general. Also to
a lesser extent SIS controllers can also be problematic. Nvidia, and Intel
are the only motherboard chipsets I trust fully for reliable USB operation.
For USB add-in controller cards, I use NEC chipsets exclusively. If you have
a VIA chipset on that board (you can easily check by looking at the USB
controller properties in the device manager) you may want to switch to a
network cable connection if your cable modem has that option, and you have a
network card. Also try updating your motherboard chipset drivers. Or, try
getting a Belkin USB 2.0 card. They use NEC chipsets on their cards. At
least the last time I checked they still do.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Raven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004

> Obviously, not. You shouldn't have to. Did you disable all the power
> management options on the USB controllers too, as I suggested?


I had forgotten, but I did go back in and check and they were all disabled.

>Also, since
> you are using USB, it may matter what chipset you have on that

motherboard.

I have the NVidia Nforce2

I haven't seemed to have this problem since last night, so hopefully that's
all it was, what you told me to check. Thanks for your help, I do
appreciate it.

I have one more question though, in my Device Manager, I see something
called "VSO Devices" and underneath that is what is called a Patin Couffin
Engine. I have never seen this before and I haven't added anything new to
the system at all. Do you know what this might be? Thanks again


--
Raven~
"Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me
Real mail - Barnett underscore David at Comcast dot Net


 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004

"Raven" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Obviously, not. You shouldn't have to. Did you disable all the power
>> management options on the USB controllers too, as I suggested?

>
> I had forgotten, but I did go back in and check and they were all
> disabled.
>
>>Also, since
>> you are using USB, it may matter what chipset you have on that

> motherboard.
>
> I have the NVidia Nforce2
>
> I haven't seemed to have this problem since last night, so hopefully
> that's
> all it was, what you told me to check. Thanks for your help, I do
> appreciate it.


no problem. Happy to help. Hopefully it will continue working. If it fails
to, then you may wont to consider trying a regular ethernet connection to
your cable modem rather than using USB, if your cable modem supports that
option. Most seem to offer ethernet as well when they have a USB connection.

>
> I have one more question though, in my Device Manager, I see something
> called "VSO Devices" and underneath that is what is called a Patin Couffin
> Engine. I have never seen this before and I haven't added anything new to
> the system at all. Do you know what this might be? Thanks again
>


I believe that is part of the "blind write" CD burning program. Do you have
that program installed by some chance?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004
Raven wrote:
>
> > I had similar symptoms, blamed the ISP, turned out replacing the network
> > card ($15) cured it.

>
> Thanks for the idea, but I'm using USB for my connection, so I wonder if I
> should replace those or the cable? I did try what Thor had to say:


If you are losing connections and call the cable company and tell them
you have a usb nic then they come in with a few internal pci nics which
generally solves disconnection problems.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Raven
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2004

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:417157f9$1$52112$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> If you are losing connections and call the cable company and tell them
> you have a usb nic then they come in with a few internal pci nics which
> generally solves disconnection problems.


As far as losing the connection, the cable company said that because my
modem is always showing that it is on and running fine than the problem is
with IE. Even when I can't access the internet, the modem still looks as if
it has been running fine, which I though was weird. Now, I do have a NIC
installed, maybe I should try that instead of USB, you think? Thanks for
the help


--
Raven~
"Insert good quote here" --Someone Smarter Than Me
Real mail - Barnett underscore David at Comcast dot Net


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie with a weird technical problem (@ least I think it's weird) will Ruby 6 12-27-2006 04:46 PM
Thumbnail creation problem. really weird. hilz Java 6 09-20-2004 07:46 PM
A really weird problem Scribner Computer Support 13 08-16-2004 08:19 PM
Really weird browser problem... Grimtooth Computer Support 5 10-03-2003 07:35 PM
[Q] really WEIRD asp problem (XP, IIS, IE 6) holgeradelmann ASP General 2 08-21-2003 10:20 PM



Advertisments