Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Win Me wrongly reporting hard disk size and ram ??

Win Me wrongly reporting hard disk size and ram ??

jole

hi
i'm fixing a friends computer..he asked me to reinstall Windows Millenium
and start from scratch..i was able to do this, although recently he just
told me that windows is now (after the reinstall) reporting the hard disk
size to be only 2 Gigs, instead of 20 Gigs, and he's running out of space as
a result of this.. what must i do to fix this problem, so that win ME
reports disk space correctly??

also, even before i reinstalled windows, and now after the reinstall too, i
noticed that when the pc boots up, on the first black screen, it reports the
RAM to be only 32 megabytes, even though under windows it reports it to be
128 MB..how much RAM there really is my friend can't say...

the main problem though is the hard disk, as my friend is running out of
space..the 128 MB reported by WIn ME isn't too much of a problem..his pc may
in fact have 128 MB of ram..

thank u all

Ken Dennis

> the main problem though is the hard disk, as my friend is running out of
> space..the 128 MB reported by WIn ME isn't too much of a problem..his pc may
> in fact have 128 MB of ram..
>

> thank u all

If you only have 2GB, you probably have it formatted as fat16.. if you
boot from cd you should be able to delete all the partitions and create a
new one in fat32.. or get a copy copy of fdisk and partition and format
then boot off diskette, go to cdrom and run setup... as for the ram, are
you sure that 32mb isnt the video card telling you how much ram it has?

Cheers,

--

Ken Dennis
http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net:8089/

dan

get him XP. me is the worst ever. better off w/ 95
"Ken Dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

>> the main problem though is the hard disk, as my friend is running out of
>> space..the 128 MB reported by WIn ME isn't too much of a problem..his pc
>> may
>> in fact have 128 MB of ram..
>>

>> thank u all

> If you only have 2GB, you probably have it formatted as fat16.. if you
> boot from cd you should be able to delete all the partitions and create a
> new one in fat32.. or get a copy copy of fdisk and partition and format
> then boot off diskette, go to cdrom and run setup... as for the ram, are
> you sure that 32mb isnt the video card telling you how much ram it has?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
>
> Ken Dennis
> http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net:8089/

jole

hi

i'll be going over there tonight to try and fix the problem..when i did the
reinstall, i used the default settings in the setup program of WIn ME..from
your response below, it sounds as though the file system has been formatted
as FAT16 (this must have been the default setup setting)...i'll try another
reinstall, but this time i'll use the advanced version of setup..hopefully
then I'll be able to select what filesystem is used..

you're probasbly right..i think that 32 MB ram is the video ram...

many thanks
Jole

"Ken Dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> > the main problem though is the hard disk, as my friend is running out of
> > space..the 128 MB reported by WIn ME isn't too much of a problem..his pc

may
> > in fact have 128 MB of ram..
> >

> > thank u all

> If you only have 2GB, you probably have it formatted as fat16.. if you
> boot from cd you should be able to delete all the partitions and create a
> new one in fat32.. or get a copy copy of fdisk and partition and format
> then boot off diskette, go to cdrom and run setup... as for the ram, are
> you sure that 32mb isnt the video card telling you how much ram it has?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
>
> Ken Dennis
> http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net:8089/

jole

hi all

i haven't yet gone to my friends house, but i just wanted to know, how can i
tell whether it is fat16 or fat 32 (ie the filesystem)?..i got him on the
phone to do a right click ->properties-> then he told me that the
filesystem was reported as only FAT (16 or 32 was not known).

thx

"jole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RsJbd.26179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
>
> i'll be going over there tonight to try and fix the problem..when i did

the
> reinstall, i used the default settings in the setup program of WIn

ME..from
> your response below, it sounds as though the file system has been

formatted
> as FAT16 (this must have been the default setup setting)...i'll try

another
> reinstall, but this time i'll use the advanced version of setup..hopefully
> then I'll be able to select what filesystem is used..
>
> you're probasbly right..i think that 32 MB ram is the video ram...
>
> many thanks
> Jole
>

> "Ken Dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > > the main problem though is the hard disk, as my friend is running out

of
> > > space..the 128 MB reported by WIn ME isn't too much of a problem..his

pc
> may
> > > in fact have 128 MB of ram..
> > >

> > > thank u all

> > If you only have 2GB, you probably have it formatted as fat16.. if you
> > boot from cd you should be able to delete all the partitions and create

> > new one in fat32.. or get a copy copy of fdisk and partition and format
> > then boot off diskette, go to cdrom and run setup... as for the ram,

are
> > you sure that 32mb isnt the video card telling you how much ram it has?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ken Dennis
> > http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net:8089/

Wizard

"Fat" = Fat16
"fat32" = fat32

jole wrote:

> hi all
>
> i haven't yet gone to my friends house, but i just wanted to know, how can i
> tell whether it is fat16 or fat 32 (ie the filesystem)?..i got him on the
> phone to do a right click ->properties-> then he told me that the
> filesystem was reported as only FAT (16 or 32 was not known).
>
> thx
>
> "jole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RsJbd.26179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hi
> >
> > i'll be going over there tonight to try and fix the problem..when i did

> the
> > reinstall, i used the default settings in the setup program of WIn

> ME..from
> > your response below, it sounds as though the file system has been

> formatted
> > as FAT16 (this must have been the default setup setting)...i'll try

> another
> > reinstall, but this time i'll use the advanced version of setup..hopefully
> > then I'll be able to select what filesystem is used..
> >
> > you're probasbly right..i think that 32 MB ram is the video ram...
> >
> > many thanks
> > Jole
> >

> > "Ken Dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...

> of

> pc
> > may

> > > If you only have 2GB, you probably have it formatted as fat16.. if you
> > > boot from cd you should be able to delete all the partitions and create

> > > new one in fat32.. or get a copy copy of fdisk and partition and format
> > > then boot off diskette, go to cdrom and run setup... as for the ram,

> are
> > > you sure that 32mb isnt the video card telling you how much ram it has?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Ken Dennis
> > > http://KenDennis-RSS.homeip.net:8089/

jole

thank you for that..my friend's filesystem must be FAT16 then..Hopefully the
Win ME install program will have an advanced install version that allows me
to pick fat32 as the filesystem..let me know otherwise..last time i
installed Win ME, i used the default recommended install version..this seems
to only install fat16 on it...hopefully will work now, when i true the
advanced install version..

thanks again.

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Fat" = Fat16
> "fat32" = fat32
>
> jole wrote:
> >
> > hi all
> >
> > i haven't yet gone to my friends house, but i just wanted to know, how

can i
> > tell whether it is fat16 or fat 32 (ie the filesystem)?..i got him on

the
> > phone to do a right click ->properties-> then he told me that the
> > filesystem was reported as only FAT (16 or 32 was not known).
> >
> > thx
> >
> > "jole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:RsJbd.26179$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > hi
> > >
> > > i'll be going over there tonight to try and fix the problem..when i

did
> > the
> > > reinstall, i used the default settings in the setup program of WIn

> > ME..from
> > > your response below, it sounds as though the file system has been

> > formatted
> > > as FAT16 (this must have been the default setup setting)...i'll try

> > another
> > > reinstall, but this time i'll use the advanced version of

setup..hopefully
> > > then I'll be able to select what filesystem is used..
> > >
> > > you're probasbly right..i think that 32 MB ram is the video ram...
> > >
> > > many thanks
> > > Jole
> > >

> > > "Ken Dennis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news(E-Mail Removed)...

out
> > of

problem..his
> > pc
> > > may

you

create

format

ram,
> > are

has?

Thor

"jole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R24cd.27609$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thank you for that..my friend's filesystem must be FAT16 then..Hopefully
> the
> Win ME install program will have an advanced install version that allows
> me
> to pick fat32 as the filesystem..let me know otherwise..last time i
> installed Win ME, i used the default recommended install version..this
> seems
> to only install fat16 on it...hopefully will work now, when i true the
> advanced install version..

you can simply create a WinME startup disk, (or download one from
www.bootdisk.com ) , boot your system to the startup floppy, and run
"FDISK", making sure to answer "yes" to whether you want to enable "large
disk support". That choice is the point where it is determined whether you
will have FAT16 or FAT32. From that point, delete all the partitions, and
create a new partition using all the available space on the disk. Make the
partition active, and then shutdown and reboot when instructed to by the
FDISK program. Boot up to the startup disk again, and this time type "format
c:" and it will format the drive. Then boot to your Windows setup CD and
install windows.

You need to reformat the drive as FAT32. If it is FAT16 now and you just
reinstall, it will still be FAT16.

Chris

"jole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R24cd.27609$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thank you for that..my friend's filesystem must be FAT16 then..Hopefully

the
> Win ME install program will have an advanced install version that allows

me
> to pick fat32 as the filesystem..let me know otherwise..last time i
> installed Win ME, i used the default recommended install version..this

seems
> to only install fat16 on it...hopefully will work now, when i true the
> advanced install version..
>
> thanks again.
>

> "Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Fat" = Fat16
> > "fat32" = fat32
> >
> > jole wrote:
> > >
> > > hi all
> > >
> > > i haven't yet gone to my friends house, but i just wanted to know, how

> can i
> > > tell whether it is fat16 or fat 32 (ie the filesystem)?..i got him on

> the
> > > phone to do a right click ->properties-> then he told me that the
> > > filesystem was reported as only FAT (16 or 32 was not known).
> > >
> > > thx
> > >
> > > "jole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:RsJbd.26179$(E-Mail Removed)...

> did
> > > the
> > > ME..from
> > > formatted
> > > another

> setup..hopefully

running
> out
> > > of

> problem..his
> > > pc

if
> you

> create

> format

> ram,
> > > are

> has?

jole

hi all
it's strange to me that the Win Me setup hasn't got the capability to
utilize a fat32 filesystem...oh well, i'll just have to do what you
suggested (use fdisk from the boot disk).

thanks