Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What Virus Scanner?

What Virus Scanner?

Peter Maurice Cram

I'll be soon be buying another anti-virus program and I would like to know
which one is best.
I've always used Norton's products, but Norton slows my computer down too
much. I had to install 1.5 Gigs of memory in my computer so that I can play
certain games while Norton Security ran in the background. Yes, I know I can
disable the anti-virus program to obtain better performance, but I have a
constant connection to the internet, and wouldn't feel safe doing that.
So would anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of internet security
I should be looking for?

Thanks

Peter Maurice Cram

"Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'll be soon be buying another anti-virus program and I would like to
> know which one is best.
> I've always used Norton's products, but Norton slows my computer down too
> much. I had to install 1.5 Gigs of memory in my computer so that I can
> play certain games while Norton Security ran in the background. Yes, I
> know I can disable the anti-virus program to obtain better performance,
> but I have a constant connection to the internet, and wouldn't feel safe
> doing that.
> So would anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of internet
> security I should be looking for?
>
> Thanks

Never mind! I've been checking to see whats posted on this newsgroup and
I've seen that (What virus scanner) question has already been asked. I like
the idea of free but, really, is a free program (like AVG) going to a
better job of securing a computer from viruses than a purchased one?

Thor

> "Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I'll be soon be buying another anti-virus program and I would like to
>> know which one is best.
>> I've always used Norton's products, but Norton slows my computer down
>> too much. I had to install 1.5 Gigs of memory in my computer so that I
>> can play certain games while Norton Security ran in the background. Yes,
>> I know I can disable the anti-virus program to obtain better performance,
>> but I have a constant connection to the internet, and wouldn't feel safe
>> doing that.
>> So would anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of internet
>> security I should be looking for?
>>
>> Thanks

> Never mind! I've been checking to see whats posted on this newsgroup
> and I've seen that (What virus scanner) question has already been asked. I
> like the idea of free but, really, is a free program (like AVG) going
> to a better job of securing a computer from viruses than a purchased one?

There is no evidence that they aren't just as good in terms of detection.

dan

maybe the same, but now better

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> I'll be soon be buying another anti-virus program and I would like to
>>> know which one is best.
>>> I've always used Norton's products, but Norton slows my computer down
>>> too much. I had to install 1.5 Gigs of memory in my computer so that I
>>> can play certain games while Norton Security ran in the background. Yes,
>>> I know I can disable the anti-virus program to obtain better
>>> performance, but I have a constant connection to the internet, and
>>> wouldn't feel safe doing that.
>>> So would anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of internet
>>> security I should be looking for?
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> Never mind! I've been checking to see whats posted on this newsgroup
>> and I've seen that (What virus scanner) question has already been asked.
>> I like the idea of free but, really, is a free program (like AVG)
>> going to a better job of securing a computer from viruses than a
>> purchased one?

> There is no evidence that they aren't just as good in terms of detection.

Tsun Szu

I can vouch for AVG. The free edition is just as good as a purchased one. I
had the same problem with Norton....it really steals the processing power.
Just make sure you do updates at least once a week.

"Peter Maurice Cram" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'll be soon be buying another anti-virus program and I would like to

know
> which one is best.
> I've always used Norton's products, but Norton slows my computer down

too
> much. I had to install 1.5 Gigs of memory in my computer so that I can

play
> certain games while Norton Security ran in the background. Yes, I know I

can
> disable the anti-virus program to obtain better performance, but I have a
> constant connection to the internet, and wouldn't feel safe doing that.
> So would anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of internet

security
> I should be looking for?
>
> Thanks

Thor

"Tsun Szu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:417129be$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I can vouch for AVG. The free edition is just as good as a purchased one. I
> had the same problem with Norton....it really steals the processing power.
> Just make sure you do updates at least once a week.

the only disagreeable issue I saw with AVG when I tried it quite some time
ago, was that the automatic updater feature required the user to set an
update schedule. That was fine for people with broadband connections and who
have their computers on all the time, or are always on during the scheduled
update time, but for people who use their machines infequently, and on
dialup connections, it was difficult to get reliable automatic updating from
AVG, because the chances were that the computer wasn't up and running when
it was supposed to check for updates. Perhaps they have improved this
feature, I don't know. But that was the one flaw in the program that kept me
from recommending it to customers. Most home users who do not leave their
computers and internet connection on 24/7, require an AV program that
periodically checks whether there is an active internet connection and
checks for updates whenever that connection is live, rather than only on a
fixed schedule. Norton, for all it's bloatware warts seems to do this fairly
well, but so does the free Avast! antivirus.