Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Networking Question

Networking Question

Stuart Adair

I have 1 computer running XP and another running ME and I want to connect
them together so that the ME machine can access the internet.

The XP machine is the main one with the broadband modem attached and has a
network card already installed.

Am I right in saying that I need to get a network card for the ME machine
and then a length of network cable to plug both together and then run the
network wizard on the XP machine ?

I have had all sorts of advice before with people telling me I need routers
and hubs - Its just confused the hell out of me !!!

Stuart

Wizard

Your best bet is a router (they are cheap and easy to set up) and you
will need a NIC for the other machine, what ever you do OR put a second
NIC in the XP machine and use connection sharing (which is limited).

1 Router + 1 NIC
or 2 NIC's

Stuart Adair wrote:

> I have 1 computer running XP and another running ME and I want to connect
> them together so that the ME machine can access the internet.
>
> The XP machine is the main one with the broadband modem attached and has a
> network card already installed.
>
> Am I right in saying that I need to get a network card for the ME machine
> and then a length of network cable to plug both together and then run the
> network wizard on the XP machine ?
>
> I have had all sorts of advice before with people telling me I need routers
> and hubs - Its just confused the hell out of me !!!
>
> Stuart

Jim Berwick

"Stuart Adair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ckm9ac$njq$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have had all sorts of advice before with people telling me I need
> routers and hubs - Its just confused the hell out of me !!!

The easiest way is to take the modem off the XP machine, connect it to a
router ($40 to $70), connect the router to the XP machine, get a NIC for
the ME machine and connect the router to it. If you are dead set on
sharing the connection on the XP machine, you will need:

An unused NIC in the XP machine (to connect to the ME machine).
1 crossover cable to reach between the two computers
1 NIC for the ME machine

To setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or Routing and Remote access
services on the XP machine. A router is definitely easier.

Dan Abrey

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Stuart Adair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:ckm9ac$njq$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have had all sorts of advice before with people telling me I need
> > routers and hubs - Its just confused the hell out of me !!!
> >

> The easiest way is to take the modem off the XP machine, connect it to a
> router ($40 to $70), connect the router to the XP machine, get a NIC for
> the ME machine and connect the router to it. If you are dead set on
> sharing the connection on the XP machine, you will need:
>
> An unused NIC in the XP machine (to connect to the ME machine).
> 1 crossover cable to reach between the two computers
> 1 NIC for the ME machine
>
> To setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or Routing and Remote access
> services on the XP machine. A router is definitely easier.

Another obvious bonus with the router is that the host XP machine will not
have to be connected to allow the ME machine to connect.

dennis

Might want to check to see if your modem already has a router integrated in
it. If that is the case you will want to get a switch instead of a router.
I've come across several dsl modems that include routers, not sure about
cable modems.