Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Win XP SP2

Win XP SP2

Mr. Mxyzptlk

What's the story on WinXP SP2 these days? Is it ok to install yet?

I was going to bite the bullet and install it yesterday, but it told me
to back up my "system" first, so I canceled out. What exactly
constitutes my "system"? It's a 120-gig hard drive. What am I supposed
to do?

Is there some folder I can just copy temporarily into another computer?
I have four PCs networked. Or is their warning to back up my "system"
just some Microsuck PMA?

Most of the Google hits on this are from Microsuck itself, and as far as
they're concerned everything is just fine and getting better. But
there's an awful scary story at

http://www.crn.com/sections/breaking...cleId=23905071

I don't need them kinds of problems. On the other hand, this GDIPlus
bug has me scared to death to even open an email these days.

-confused in Arid-zona

Thor

You don't *have* to install SP2 to get the latest security updates. You can
download the individual critical patches, and still be up-to-date
security-wise. So, you really should ask yourself, whether you really want
the new features in SP2 (Windows Firewall, Security Center, etc.). That
aside, if you want to install SP2, take a few precautions first.

Do a very thorough spyware scan on your computer. Try Adaware, and Spybot.
Use both, rather than rely on just one. Clean up your windows temp folder,
(usually in C:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temp, and make
sure you have hidden files visible) and disable as many background apps as
possible using MSconfig, then reboot. You don't want a million potentially
conflicting things running in the background when this big fat puppy
installs.

Read (and in some cases you should really print) the following MSKB articles
before installing SP2. If you have a problem, they may bail you out. Good to
have them handy in case of disaster (unbootable computer).

http://support.microsoft.com/default...r=WindowsXPsp2
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;875355 This one
print!!

SP2 features info. Check this over and decide if you want SP2.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...n/xpsp2ff.mspx

"Mr. Mxyzptlk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's the story on WinXP SP2 these days? Is it ok to install yet?
>
> I was going to bite the bullet and install it yesterday, but it told me
> to back up my "system" first, so I canceled out. What exactly
> constitutes my "system"? It's a 120-gig hard drive. What am I supposed
> to do?
>
> Is there some folder I can just copy temporarily into another computer?
> I have four PCs networked. Or is their warning to back up my "system"
> just some Microsuck PMA?
>
> Most of the Google hits on this are from Microsuck itself, and as far as
> they're concerned everything is just fine and getting better. But
> there's an awful scary story at
>
> http://www.crn.com/sections/breaking...cleId=23905071
>
> I don't need them kinds of problems. On the other hand, this GDIPlus
> bug has me scared to death to even open an email these days.
>
> -confused in Arid-zona

Lloyd Jones

Don't mention SP2 to thor, they've had words and wants a divorce.

LJ

The Ancient One

"Lloyd Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't mention SP2 to thor, they've had words and wants a divorce.
>
> LJ

Do you ever contribute anything to this group?
Thor has for years, when you've earned the respect he has, then you will
have the right to comment.

Lloyd Jones

He's a big head.

LJ

Lloyd Jones

And I have to the "right" to say whatever I want.

LJ

The Ancient One

"Lloyd Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And I have to the "right" to say whatever I want.
>
> LJ

And I have the right to point out when you're wrong, which is almost
everytime you post.

Lloyd Jones

And I have the right to point out when you have your tongue stick up thors
ass.

LJ

The Ancient One

"Lloyd Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And I have the right to point out when you have your tongue stick up thors
> ass.
>
> LJ

And you, as usual, have nothing intelligent to say. You are a troll.

Plato

http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#1