Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > where is my com3 ?

where is my com3 ?

TPG NEWS

I have reformatted my P3 using XP Pro.
Everything is working well (sound, graphics, programs, office, printer and
so on.)
Everything except the PCI modem. Each time I try to install it, the PCI
modem is not found and the only available port is com1 and I need to call it
com3 (Thats what it was before the reformat.)
I have downloaded new drivers, all do not help find the PCI modem.
The modem is an ESS ES2838S.
In device driver the only ports found are LPT and COM1

How do I find COM3 ?

TPG NEWS

"TPG NEWS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4169efe7$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have reformatted my P3 using XP Pro.
> Everything is working well (sound, graphics, programs, office, printer and
> so on.)
> Everything except the PCI modem. Each time I try to install it, the PCI
> modem is not found and the only available port is com1 and I need to call
> it com3 (Thats what it was before the reformat.)
> I have downloaded new drivers, all do not help find the PCI modem.
> The modem is an ESS ES2838S.
> In device driver the only ports found are LPT and COM1

I seem to have now solved my problem. I removed the internal modem,
completely deleted all setup for it, switched off and then back on. Checked
to see that all drivers were removed, then switched off, put the PCI modem
back in, re-booted and now XP Pro found the device and installed it
correctly.

Jim Berwick

"TPG NEWS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4169efe7$(E-Mail Removed):

> How do I find COM3 ?

You don't need to find COM3 to install the modem. Should you correctly
install the modem, both physically and software wise, the appropriate COM
port should appear automatically.

Com3 in registry ellis_jay Computer Support 12 09-23-2007 10:25 PM
no COM3 Alho Computer Support 5 02-03-2006 11:27 PM
can perl write to a usb port com3 device?? Brainwave Surfer Perl Misc 0 09-03-2003 08:11 PM

Advertisments