Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to print photos

How to print photos

John

Hello

I just need some advice on how to print photos. I just got this Epson
printer but I've never done photos before.

In order to print what software should I open the photos in, and how
do I get the photos to print on photo paper that is 6x4"/10x15cms, if
the photo size is bigger or smaller than that? Is there an option you
can select to make it fit? I wouldn't want it to leave white gaps or
go over the edge of the paper and make an inky mess. Also, how do you
know which way to put the paper in? landscape or portrait? And will
the printer automatically sense where the paper is when its feeding
through? Or do I have to make sure it's right at the side of the
printer tray at the back?

I am just repairing a photo for my sister that had a crack along it.
I am copying/cloning bits of her face above or below the crack and
putting on top so you can't tell it was ever there in the first place.
I should have it finish tomorrow night then I'll be ready to test the
photo in the printer.

Thanks for your help

John (newbie photo printer)

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I just need some advice on how to print photos. I just got this Epson
> printer but I've never done photos before.
>
> In order to print what software should I open the photos in,

that depends on what is installed on your computer. I use "Microsoft Picture
it! 9 premium" software. Allows you to retouch, print, put in effects, etc.
Chances are that whatever you use to edit and touch up the photos you have,
is what you can print from as well. Check your help files for your
particular program.

> do I get the photos to print on photo paper that is 6x4"/10x15cms, if
> the photo size is bigger or smaller than that?

Many photo editing/printing programs have a "fit to paper size" option. Just
make sure you have it set to retain the aspect ratio (the original
proportions), or you could end up with a stretched or squished photo.

> I wouldn't want it to leave white gaps or
> go over the edge of the paper and make an inky mess.

First of all, your printer must be capable of "edge to edge" printing in
order to easily avoid having the white border, unless you want to risk
printing past the edges by accident, leaving a mess inside the printer.
Check your printer manual for this feature. Many printers lack this ability.
You can usually do it manually with an older non "edge-to-edge" printer by
selecting a paper size that is larger than the actual paper being used. This
is risky though, as it is easy to cause a mess as I said. Easier to just use
a paper cutter to trim off the white border after the fact, if it bothers
you. What you need to do is purchase some paper, and then when you print,
make sure you go into the printer settings first and select the nearest
matching paper type and size from the options given. For example, if you buy
some glossy photo paper, and you select "print" from your photo
editing/printing program, the printer dialog box usually appears, with a few
buttons like "printer settings" etc. Check those for paper type options.
Also if you want the best looking prints, always use the maximum quality
settings in the printer settings. Most use a "medium" quality setting by
default, and if you want good looking photo prints, you really want to
change this to "best" quality/highest DPI, etc. Also when using glossy photo
paper, make sure you are aware of how your printer feeds in it's paper. You
may need to put the glossy side down, or glossy side up in the paper feed
tray, depending on how your printer loads it's paper. If you put it in the
wrong way, you may end up with an inky mess, since the ink will not adhere
to the backside of many types of glossy paper.

> Also, how do you
> know which way to put the paper in? landscape or portrait? And will
> the printer automatically sense where the paper is when its feeding
> through? Or do I have to make sure it's right at the side of the
> printer tray at the back?

typically you have the paper stack pushed to the right side of the tray, and
move the paper guide over to the stack's edge to keep the stack straight.
This should be fairly obvious when you put the paper in the printer.
Landscape and portait modes are handled in the software, not in the manner
by which you load the paper. Pretty much all conventional printers load the
paper portait-style. It can print it either way according to how the
software is set by the user.

> I am just repairing a photo for my sister that had a crack along it.
> I am copying/cloning bits of her face above or below the crack and
> putting on top so you can't tell it was ever there in the first place.
> I should have it finish tomorrow night then I'll be ready to test the
> photo in the printer.

Good luck.

Lady Chatterly

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
kadbitcha <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John wrote:
>
>> I am copying/cloning bits of her face above or below the crack and
>> putting on top so you can't tell it was ever there in the first place.
>> I should have it finish tomorrow night then I'll be ready to test the

>You're not Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon by any chance, are you?

If you went to a plastic surgeon and asked him for a makeover, I bet
he would give you a lobotomy.

--
Lady Chatterly

"That is a bot or someone playing as a bot. I dumped it in my KF the
first day. Is it following the group or me?" -- 'Ratz

Lady Chatterly's Fucker

Lady Chatterly <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote in message

> I'd give you a piece of my mind, but I ate the last bit.

A Wheeler

Lady Chatterly <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled in using a crayon
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> kadbitcha <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>John wrote:
>>
>>> I am copying/cloning bits of her face above or below the crack and
>>> putting on top so you can't tell it was ever there in the first

place.
>>> I should have it finish tomorrow night then I'll be ready to test

the

>>You're not Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon by any chance, are you?

> If you went to a plastic surgeon and asked him for a makeover, I bet
> he would give you a lobotomy.

If I were you, I wouldn't speak badly of anyone, considering the fact,
you ARE you.

--
Hideous Haiku:
amputees ascend