Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Sims 2 on Celeron 533

Sims 2 on Celeron 533

ToMh

Probably a stretch, but I would like
to get Sims 2 playing on my Daughters PC instead
of mine. It's only a 533 Celeron, which works great
for her school needs, but doesn't have enough Graphics
and maybe Processor power for Sim 2. I'm thinking
that if I could get a PCI (yes this does not have an AGP slot)
Video card that is DirectX 9 compatible, that maybe it could
do an adequate job of running Sims 2 and she won't
bug me to buy her a new computer.
Any body know of a decent PCI Video card that may
do the trick, or should I not bother.

-Tom

Thor

"ToMh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Probably a stretch, but I would like
> to get Sims 2 playing on my Daughters PC instead
> of mine. It's only a 533 Celeron, which works great
> for her school needs, but doesn't have enough Graphics
> and maybe Processor power for Sim 2. I'm thinking
> that if I could get a PCI (yes this does not have an AGP slot)
> Video card that is DirectX 9 compatible, that maybe it could
> do an adequate job of running Sims 2 and she won't
> bug me to buy her a new computer.
> Any body know of a decent PCI Video card that may
> do the trick, or should I not bother.

The *minimum* requirement for Sims2 is an 800Mhz CPU, a 32MB T&L capable
video card, 256MB of RAM and 3.5GB of free harddrive space. A 533 Celeron
with *any* video card you buy, still isn't going to cut it. When you see
the "minimum" requirements listed, that typically means that the game is
playable at those published minimum specs, but likely will still run pretty
slow. You are well below even the minimum CPU spec for this game. Time to
consider a major system upgrade if you want your daughter to be able to play
most of today's games.

http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21

ToMh

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ToMh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Probably a stretch, but I would like
> > to get Sims 2 playing on my Daughters PC instead
> > of mine. It's only a 533 Celeron, which works great
> > for her school needs, but doesn't have enough Graphics
> > and maybe Processor power for Sim 2. I'm thinking
> > that if I could get a PCI (yes this does not have an AGP slot)
> > Video card that is DirectX 9 compatible, that maybe it could
> > do an adequate job of running Sims 2 and she won't
> > bug me to buy her a new computer.
> > Any body know of a decent PCI Video card that may
> > do the trick, or should I not bother.

> The *minimum* requirement for Sims2 is an 800Mhz CPU, a 32MB T&L capable
> video card, 256MB of RAM and 3.5GB of free harddrive space. A 533 Celeron
> with *any* video card you buy, still isn't going to cut it. When you see
> the "minimum" requirements listed, that typically means that the game is
> playable at those published minimum specs, but likely will still run pretty
> slow. You are well below even the minimum CPU spec for this game. Time to
> consider a major system upgrade if you want your daughter to be able to play
> most of today's games.
>
> http://thesims2.ea.com/help/detail.php?help_id=21

Thanks, I should of looked there first.
Looks like the CPU won't cut it. This is the only game she plays
so I'll just let her use my computer till I get around to upgrading hers.

Bridger987

I doubt it. It runs unbelievably slow on my 2.4 GHz Athlon XP/512 MB RAM
Computer which is relatively new. It also takes up loads of processing power
and about half of my RAM. I don't recommend trying to put it on.

- - Bridger

Thor

"Bridger987" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I doubt it. It runs unbelievably slow on my 2.4 GHz Athlon XP/512 MB RAM
> Computer which is relatively new. It also takes up loads of processing
> power
> and about half of my RAM. I don't recommend trying to put it on.

something's clearly wrong then. It runs *very* well on my nephew's Athlon
XP2100 512MB RAM Radeon 9600XT.

ToMh

"Bridger987" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I doubt it. It runs unbelievably slow on my 2.4 GHz Athlon XP/512 MB RAM
> Computer which is relatively new. It also takes up loads of processing power
> and about half of my RAM. I don't recommend trying to put it on.
>
> - - Bridger

Runs fine on my 1.3 GHz Duran with 256M SDRAM. Your
Graphics card is probably the weak link.