Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Transfering Files, Please Help..

Transfering Files, Please Help..

newenglander

Hi All,

Trying to figure out the best way to transfer files from my old PC
(Gateway G6450) to my new PC (Dell Dimension 8400). Is there an easy
way of doing this?? A friend of mine thought it would be a good idea
to use "Hotline Server" to transfer the files, but this failed as the
speed was comparable to that of a 2400 baud telephone connection, and
had many transfer failures. Any other ideas?? I have about 5 gigs to
transfer. Any help\advice is of course greatly appreciated!!

RBS

Thor

"newenglander" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> Trying to figure out the best way to transfer files from my old PC
> (Gateway G6450) to my new PC (Dell Dimension 8400). Is there an easy
> way of doing this?? A friend of mine thought it would be a good idea
> to use "Hotline Server" to transfer the files, but this failed as the
> speed was comparable to that of a 2400 baud telephone connection, and
> had many transfer failures. Any other ideas?? I have about 5 gigs to
> transfer. Any help\advice is of course greatly appreciated!!
>
> RBS

Remove the harddrive (very carefully) from the old computer, and open the
case on the new one, and then disconnect the data and power cables from the
top CD/DVD drive (typically the master drive) in your new computer, and
connect your old harddrive to those cables instead, paying attention to the
red stripe on one side of the data cable, to orient it the same way it was
on the CD/DVD drive (towards the power connector). Make sure the harddrive
is sitting on something stable, and that it cannot fall off or bang against
something inadvertently. Fire up your new machine, and the drive should show
up in "my computer". It will not be designated "C:" drive because that is
the letter designated for the drive inyour new machine, But, it may be
designated "D:" or "E:" or maybe even "F:" depending on your configruation.
Locate and copy your files from the old drive, to the C: drive. Usually best
to create a new folder on C: and drag-n-drop the stuff from your old drive
into that folder. When finished, shut the system down, disconnect the old
drive, and reconnect your CD/DVD drive cables, pop the case cover back on,
and you are back to normal, with the files transferred.

Jerry G.

The easiest way is to network the two machines back to back with a
peer-to-peer cable. After the networking is setup, set the drives to be
shared, and you can then copy at very high speed from one machine to the
other. Infact, you can set the two machines up back to back to work as
one bigger virtual machine!

You can put a router between them, and use standard patch cables. Then
on the WAN of the router, you can put in a high speed modem. Now you
will have a small network with high speed internet on both machines.

--

Jerry G.
======

transfering to PC to MAC alan Firefox 2 01-25-2006 11:04 AM
Transfering files over network, speed and Laptop performance? TIA. Mac Wireless Networking 4 08-26-2005 01:00 AM
Question About Transfering Files?? Please Help.. RoryBellows Computer Information 3 10-01-2004 07:44 PM
Transfering files from one computer to another one Terry Microsoft Certification 5 07-25-2003 01:08 AM

Advertisments