Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > floppy fail?

floppy fail?

mark mandel

I occasionally get this on the screen immediately after the POST(actually
says "Floppy fail(40)."
Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change the
booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.

But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?

Mark Mandell

DeMoN LaG

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hqe7d.135$(E-Mail Removed) .net:

> Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change
> the booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes
> normal.

Changing the boot order won't 'correct' anything.

> But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?

Could be.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Wizard

Yes, but also loose cable or bad fdd controller.

--
"Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the
statue."

Martin O'Brien

(E-Mail Removed):

--
I'm out of sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

colin

mark mandel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hqe7d.135$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> I occasionally get this on the screen immediately after the POST(actually
> says "Floppy fail(40)."
> Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change the
> booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.
>
> But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?
>
> Mark Mandell

could mean a bad cable or you've got the drive hooked up in the middle of
the cable instead of after the twist, or you just didn't set any drives in
the BIOS OR you picked the wrong drive type in the BIOS.

mark mandel

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hqe7d.135$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> I occasionally get this on the screen immediately after the POST(actually
> says "Floppy fail(40)."
> Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change the
> booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.
>
> But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?
>
> Mark Mandell

Thanks to all for the feedback thus far. Methinks it is *probably* the
drive itself which has become moody. I do think that running Spinrite 6.0
last week may have given it some additional "borrowed time" but I know this
will soon end.

Volund

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hqe7d.135$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> I occasionally get this on the screen immediately after the POST(actually
> says "Floppy fail(40)."
> Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change the
> booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.
>
> But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?
>
> Mark Mandell

Try the cable connector the other way round, sounds like you got it on the
wrong way.

Thor

"Volund" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cjkriq$ger$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hqe7d.135$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>> I occasionally get this on the screen immediately after the POST(actually
>> says "Floppy fail(40)."
>> Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change
>> the
>> booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.
>>
>> But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?
>>
>> Mark Mandell
>>

> Try the cable connector the other way round, sounds like you got it on the
> wrong way.

This being the relatively important part.