Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Duo boot IDE & SCSI

Duo boot IDE & SCSI

Matthew Superstar Swass

I would like to install Linux on an SCSI drive I have, and leave the IDE drive
alone with Win98se on that.

Lilo
Grub
System Commander

Are these all about the same? Will they work with the SCSI drive?

In my XP computer there's a file within XP to duo boot into XP or the recovery
partition. I know that can be set up to work with SCSI. Does Win98 have
something like this?

bmoag

If you are running SCSI and IDE hard drives on the same computer they run
through different controllers and only one can be set to be the boot device,
whether the SCSI card is an added on PCI card or part of the motherboard.
When you want to boot to either the IDE or the SCSI you can change the BIOS
settings to boot to either the IDE or SCSI hard drive. If you have system
commander it would be alot easier to set up separate partitions on either
the IDE or SCSI and allow system commander to control the boot up process.
If you do not understand how a boot selector program like system commander
works do not attempt this or you will lose all the data on all your
partitions.