Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > mapped drives/shared folders problem

mapped drives/shared folders problem

Matt

Hi,

We've got a project at work where we have 2 pc's networked together running
XP Pro SP1a. The first pc has folders on the c: and d: drives shared as
read-only. When the second pc is booted it runs our software in startup
which connects to the first pc and copies the contents of the shared folders
over to itself.
The problem is when we try to make another "first" pc (the one with the
shared folders). If I "Ghost" the drives onto another pc (which has
identical hardware), the sharing no longer works, I have to unshare then
reshare the folders. We may have to make hundreds of these pc's, and
unsharing and resharing on every single one will cause us problems.

Any help much appreciated,

Matt.

Matt

Also, we never had this problem with Win98.

"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.ku> wrote in message
news:415a622b$0$82237$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> We've got a project at work where we have 2 pc's networked together

running
> XP Pro SP1a. The first pc has folders on the c: and d: drives shared as
> read-only. When the second pc is booted it runs our software in startup
> which connects to the first pc and copies the contents of the shared

folders
> over to itself.
> The problem is when we try to make another "first" pc (the one with the
> shared folders). If I "Ghost" the drives onto another pc (which has
> identical hardware), the sharing no longer works, I have to unshare then
> reshare the folders. We may have to make hundreds of these pc's, and
> unsharing and resharing on every single one will cause us problems.
>
> Any help much appreciated,
>

> Matt.

L;ozT

"Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.ku> wrote in message
news:415a62af$0$60296$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Also, we never had this problem with Win98.
>

> "Matt" <(E-Mail Removed)9.co.ku> wrote in message
> news:415a622b$0$82237$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > We've got a project at work where we have 2 pc's networked together

> running
> > XP Pro SP1a. The first pc has folders on the c: and d: drives shared as
> > read-only. When the second pc is booted it runs our software in startup
> > which connects to the first pc and copies the contents of the shared

> folders
> > over to itself.
> > The problem is when we try to make another "first" pc (the one with the
> > shared folders). If I "Ghost" the drives onto another pc (which has
> > identical hardware), the sharing no longer works, I have to unshare then
> > reshare the folders. We may have to make hundreds of these pc's, and
> > unsharing and resharing on every single one will cause us problems.
> >
> > Any help much appreciated,
> >

> > Matt.

Hey.

I reckon this is due to the way NTFS (the default file system for NT/2K/XP)
handles file permissions (though I am guessing a little as I have never gone
through the specific routine you refer to). File permissions are stripped
off when moving files around NTFS drives (for security reasons). You can
move a file to somewhere on the same volume and retain permissions, but if
you move it to a different volume the permissions are removed (and where I
am guessing is how this relates to imaging). You can see why M$ have done
this, but anyway, onto a possible resolution.

I would guess that your XP boxes are formatted as NTFS, and as such are
susceptible to the problem described above. Now I don't know how much you
value the added security of NTFS on the PC's you are building, but if this
is not a big concern, you could try, building the XP image on a FAT32
formatted drive, as opposed to NTFS. I am guessing that, because this
handles file shares/permissions differently, then you will get away with it.
And if security is an issue, you could always write a batch file with the
line (convert c: /FS:NTFS), and use Windows scheduler to 'run-once' the
batch file on first boot or something like that. (can't remember the options
in scheduler)

Thats a lot of writing. mmm. Basically, try building one with FAT32 and
see how you get on, and then do tell how it went.

Cheers.

L;ozT .............

Matt

thanks for the info. The pc's will be used in a place where they cannot be
shut-down properly, just switched off. I know this isn't a good idea anyway,
but with FAT32 this can sometimes result in data loss/corrupt filesystem. I
think the write-behind cache has something to do with it.
We'll just have to re-share on each one, we tried writing a program in VB to
do this for us just by clicking a button but the sharing still doesn't work
this way, it has to be done manually.
XP Embedded is another option for us (scary).

Matt.
news:cji4qb$h57$(E-Mail Removed)...