Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Event id 1003 problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Event id 1003 problem

 
 
marow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2004
I installed WinXP on my computer. The problem is that computer reset
itself. When WInXP
finishes loading computer reset itself without any warnings. I try to
reinstall system,
it helped a little but computer still reset itself. However in two cases
OS wrote
info to system log :
1. playing Call of Duty, game hanged, and computer reset itself
event id 1003, error code :0000004e
2. playing NFS, game hanged, but computer didn't reset itself
event id 1003, error code : 1000008e

Mainboard : Via P4M266A - 8235, VT8751 -> driver version 14.53
Video card ATI Radeon 9250 -> driver version ATI Catalyst 4.8 08/11/04
FSB 133MHz; DDR 166Mhz (PC2700) - 256MB
Nothing connected to USB, or other ports.

I will be gratefull for any help...

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bradley26
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2004

"marow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed WinXP on my computer. The problem is that computer reset
> itself.

"the problem is the computer resets"

1. is your copy of Microsoft Windows XP a good, legal copy? There are
anti-piracy hooks built in that will not give you any warning and just make
it impossible to use.

2. Assuming the XP install is legal, the next likely problems are either
system memory or the disk drive

as the operating system runs, its doing many tasks where parts of a program
are put aside and used later. when it uses a task later, and finds the
wrong task in the right spot? it will crash like this; or if the data is
just corrupt, it will crash.

disk drives, as they fail seem to pause, so windows locks up, then goes on
or crashes

system memory is instant, it fails and who knows what happens

there is no easy fix, this kind of thing keeps computer repair shops in
business. try changing system memory or moving it, and if there is another
disk, try using that

When WInXP
> finishes loading computer reset itself without any warnings. I try to
> reinstall system,
> it helped a little but computer still reset itself. However in two cases
> OS wrote
> info to system log :
> 1. playing Call of Duty, game hanged, and computer reset itself
> event id 1003, error code :0000004e
> 2. playing NFS, game hanged, but computer didn't reset itself
> event id 1003, error code : 1000008e
>
> Mainboard : Via P4M266A - 8235, VT8751 -> driver version 14.53
> Video card ATI Radeon 9250 -> driver version ATI Catalyst 4.8 08/11/04
> FSB 133MHz; DDR 166Mhz (PC2700) - 256MB
> Nothing connected to USB, or other ports.
>
> I will be gratefull for any help...
>
> --
> Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2004

"Bradley26" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsPf6d.9318$Cn.5764@trnddc04...
>
> "marow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I installed WinXP on my computer. The problem is that computer reset
>> itself.

> "the problem is the computer resets"
>
> 1. is your copy of Microsoft Windows XP a good, legal copy? There are
> anti-piracy hooks built in that will not give you any warning and just
> make
> it impossible to use.


The only anti-piracy feature that will prevent you from using XP is the
product activation, and there is ample explanation given to the user for it,
should it be invoked. There is no situation where XP will cease working or
reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.

>
> 2. Assuming the XP install is legal, the next likely problems are either
> system memory or the disk drive
>
> as the operating system runs, its doing many tasks where parts of a
> program
> are put aside and used later. when it uses a task later, and finds the
> wrong task in the right spot?


???

> there is no easy fix, this kind of thing keeps computer repair shops in
> business.


got a problem with that?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bradley26
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2004


> > 1. is your copy of Microsoft Windows XP a good, legal copy? There are
> > anti-piracy hooks built in that will not give you any warning and just
> > make
> > it impossible to use.

>
> The only anti-piracy feature that will prevent you from using XP is the
> product activation, and there is ample explanation given to the user for

it,
> should it be invoked. There is no situation where XP will cease working or
> reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.



are you sure about that? what if I found one or two?



>
> >
> > 2. Assuming the XP install is legal, the next likely problems are

either
> > system memory or the disk drive
> >
> > as the operating system runs, its doing many tasks where parts of a
> > program
> > are put aside and used later. when it uses a task later, and finds the
> > wrong task in the right spot?

>
> ???


the windows memory manager is complex


>
> > there is no easy fix, this kind of thing keeps computer repair shops in
> > business.

>
> got a problem with that?
>
>


I dont know, maybe I do now. maybe Ill have to open my own repair shop


 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-28-2004

"Bradley26" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t4l6d.5270$2t5.4264@trnddc07...
>
>
>> > 1. is your copy of Microsoft Windows XP a good, legal copy? There are
>> > anti-piracy hooks built in that will not give you any warning and just
>> > make
>> > it impossible to use.

>>
>> The only anti-piracy feature that will prevent you from using XP is the
>> product activation, and there is ample explanation given to the user for

> it,
>> should it be invoked. There is no situation where XP will cease working
>> or
>> reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.

>
>
> are you sure about that? what if I found one or two?


Quite sure, but you're welcome to try and point out where I'm incorrect. Be
very detailed. I won't accept supposition.

> the windows memory manager is complex


No ****, but it doesn't misplace "tasks".


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bradley26
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2004
There is no situation where XP will cease working
> >> or
> >> reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.

> >
> >
> > are you sure about that? what if I found one or two?

>
> Quite sure, but you're welcome to try and point out where I'm incorrect.

Be
> very detailed. I won't accept supposition.


Semantics, but anti-piracy and security are similar. XP has increased
security features over any other Windows OS that seek to restrict bad code

SAFER is one of them,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rity/safer.asp

these are not available to win2000 or other versions. The inner workings of
XP are geared with more security features in mind, because of the hacks.

So while there is a stronger security, what happens when some exception is
caught? millions of possible iterations. When bad code is encountered, XP
may react by resetting.




>
> > the windows memory manager is complex

>
> No @#$t, but it doesn't misplace "tasks".
>
>


do a control/shift/escape, click processes, view, columns, add the page
faults. if there is even 1 or more page faults, isnt that because of
misplacing tasks?

but if the system memory fails?

as the OS runs its switching between programs all over the place. the
location of the programs are stored in a table(s), if an entry gets corrupt,
due to bad memory, lots of things can happen in the fault

if the disk croaks or has internal issues, it will not assert the READY
status and the IDE controller can hold everything up, the system appears to
freeze. when it comes out of that, depending on how the memory image is
moved in/out of the disk, it could be corrupt, then when the system gets to
the first bad entry? blue screen or the memory dump thing


 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-30-2004

"Bradley26" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WqG6d.4483$8H1.158@trnddc08...
> There is no situation where XP will cease working
>> >> or
>> >> reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.
>> >
>> >
>> > are you sure about that? what if I found one or two?

>>
>> Quite sure, but you're welcome to try and point out where I'm incorrect.

> Be
>> very detailed. I won't accept supposition.

>
> Semantics, but anti-piracy and security are similar. XP has increased
> security features over any other Windows OS that seek to restrict bad code
>
> SAFER is one of them,
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rity/safer.asp
>
> these are not available to win2000 or other versions. The inner workings
> of
> XP are geared with more security features in mind, because of the hacks.
>
> So while there is a stronger security, what happens when some exception
> is
> caught? millions of possible iterations. When bad code is encountered, XP
> may react by resetting.


If it does, it's a bug, an anomaly, a result of bad programming corrupted
data or faulty hardware, not normal or intentional operation. You are
speaking of a malfunction, not a designed-in security feature. XP has no
security features that disable the OS without warning and explanation. You
implied in your first reply to the OP that anti-piracy features could kick
in and disable the OS as a result of using a pirated copy. You implied an
intentional act on the part of the OS, not a malfunction brought about by
faulty/corrupt code or bad hardware. Even so, it's still highly unlikely
that even a hardware or software fault would result in the anti-piracy
features of XP being the cause of a spontaneous reboot problem. Much more
likely would be just a catastrophic instability induced in the core
components of the OS, not the anti-piracy components.

>
> do a control/shift/escape, click processes, view, columns, add the page
> faults. if there is even 1 or more page faults, isnt that because of
> misplacing tasks?


No. A page fault isn't a misplaced "task". A task is a running program. A
page fault is when the memory management system loses track of bit of paged
data. The task itself is still an active program, still known to the system.
The system doesn't misplace the task. The system is well aware that the task
is running, and when the bit of data that the running task requires is
misplaced in a paging fault, that's when the error occurs, usually crashing
the task or program as a result. The task wasn't misplaced. The working data
it relied upon was temporarily unable to be located in the place it was
expected to be.

>
> but if the system memory fails?
>
> as the OS runs its switching between programs all over the place. the
> location of the programs are stored in a table(s), if an entry gets
> corrupt,
> due to bad memory, lots of things can happen in the fault
>
> if the disk croaks or has internal issues, it will not assert the READY
> status and the IDE controller can hold everything up, the system appears
> to
> freeze. when it comes out of that, depending on how the memory image is
> moved in/out of the disk, it could be corrupt, then when the system gets
> to
> the first bad entry? blue screen or the memory dump thing


You are describing catastrophic failures that have nothing to do with the
memory management system itself. Sure, if the drive croaks, a block of
memory addresses goes bad, etc. many negative things can happen, but it's
not due to the memory management system "misplacing" tasks, as if it is some
senile old man looking for his lost wallet. Perhaps the problem is with your
terminology here. A memory operation failure or virtual memory manager fault
would be a more appropriate way to descibe the problems you are hinting at.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bradley26
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-30-2004

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Bradley26" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WqG6d.4483$8H1.158@trnddc08...
> > There is no situation where XP will cease working
> >> >> or
> >> >> reset with no explanation due to anti-piracy features.
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > are you sure about that? what if I found one or two?
> >>
> >> Quite sure, but you're welcome to try and point out where I'm

incorrect.
> > Be
> >> very detailed. I won't accept supposition.

> >
> > Semantics, but anti-piracy and security are similar. XP has increased
> > security features over any other Windows OS that seek to restrict bad

code
> >
> > SAFER is one of them,
> >

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rity/safer.asp
> >
> > these are not available to win2000 or other versions. The inner

workings
> > of
> > XP are geared with more security features in mind, because of the hacks.
> >
> > So while there is a stronger security, what happens when some exception
> > is
> > caught? millions of possible iterations. When bad code is encountered,

XP
> > may react by resetting.

>
> If it does, it's a bug, an anomaly, a result of bad programming corrupted
> data or faulty hardware, not normal or intentional operation. You are
> speaking of a malfunction, not a designed-in security feature. XP has no
> security features that disable the OS without warning and explanation. You
> implied in your first reply to the OP that anti-piracy features could kick
> in and disable the OS as a result of using a pirated copy. You implied an
> intentional act on the part of the OS, not a malfunction brought about by
> faulty/corrupt code or bad hardware. Even so, it's still highly unlikely
> that even a hardware or software fault would result in the anti-piracy
> features of XP being the cause of a spontaneous reboot problem. Much more
> likely would be just a catastrophic instability induced in the core
> components of the OS, not the anti-piracy components.
>

right, so if the guy has a pirated install with improperly installed parts
of windows, the higher security thing will make the os fail

there is the product ID for the activation, but most every nugget of
software code in windows has a PID to make sure it will run properly.
Device drivers also get checked harder, but Microsoft makes better tools for
developers to pre test software

one of my disks has an XP install thats got a corrupted file and all it does
is reboot endlessly. I bought the XP at BestBuy







> >
> > do a control/shift/escape, click processes, view, columns, add the page
> > faults. if there is even 1 or more page faults, isnt that because of
> > misplacing tasks?

>
> No. A page fault isn't a misplaced "task". A task is a running program.


A page fault is when the memory management system loses track of bit of
paged data.

The task itself is still an active program, still known to the system. >
The system doesn't misplace the task. The system is well aware that the task
is running, and when the bit of data that the running task requires is
misplaced in a paging fault, that's when the error occurs, usually crashing
the task or program as a result.

The task wasn't misplaced. The working data it relied upon was temporarily
unable to be located in the place it was expected to be.

you could have said the data was misplaced, not the task

IOW, youre saying no page fault is ever caused by the memory manager losing
the task handle, only some data the task is using.

okay now I know



>
> >
> > but if the system memory fails?
> >
> > as the OS runs its switching between programs all over the place. the
> > location of the programs are stored in a table(s), if an entry gets
> > corrupt,
> > due to bad memory, lots of things can happen in the fault
> >
> > if the disk croaks or has internal issues, it will not assert the READY
> > status and the IDE controller can hold everything up, the system appears
> > to
> > freeze. when it comes out of that, depending on how the memory image is
> > moved in/out of the disk, it could be corrupt, then when the system gets
> > to
> > the first bad entry? blue screen or the memory dump thing

>
> You are describing catastrophic failures that have nothing to do with the
> memory management system itself. Sure, if the drive croaks, a block of
> memory addresses goes bad, etc. many negative things can happen, but it's
> not due to the memory management system "misplacing" tasks, as if it is

some
> senile old man looking for his lost wallet. Perhaps the problem is with

your
> terminology here. A memory operation failure or virtual memory manager

fault
> would be a more appropriate way to descibe the problems you are hinting

at.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-01-2004

>> If it does, it's a bug, an anomaly, a result of bad programming
>> corrupted
>> data or faulty hardware, not normal or intentional operation. You are
>> speaking of a malfunction, not a designed-in security feature. XP has no
>> security features that disable the OS without warning and explanation.
>> You
>> implied in your first reply to the OP that anti-piracy features could
>> kick
>> in and disable the OS as a result of using a pirated copy. You implied an
>> intentional act on the part of the OS, not a malfunction brought about by
>> faulty/corrupt code or bad hardware. Even so, it's still highly unlikely
>> that even a hardware or software fault would result in the anti-piracy
>> features of XP being the cause of a spontaneous reboot problem. Much more
>> likely would be just a catastrophic instability induced in the core
>> components of the OS, not the anti-piracy components.
>>

> right, so if the guy has a pirated install with improperly installed parts
> of windows, the higher security thing will make the os fail


I cannot rule that completely out of the realm of possibility, simply
because there are so many components involved in running XP, many things are
possible when software is malfunctioning, in any part of XP, and it is
difficult to predict every possible outcome of a negative event unless you
are on the level of the windows programmers, who can dissect every stage of
the event, and therfore clearly understand how it impacts every other
subsystem in windows. All I can say is from personal experience, and
observation, as well as to the level of understanding I have of the
anti-piracy functions in XP, the types of symptoms discussed here aren't
likely to be caused or involved with the anti-piracy features of XP. I do
not believe the anti-piracy features even come into play in most of these
instances. Namely because windows 2000 lacks many of the newer and elaborate
anti-piracy features that XP has, and yet it tends to be taken down in the
same fashion, and by the same kinds of problems, presenting the same kinds
fo symptoms as XP. Why? It shares so much in common in terms of the core
operating system, and that is what is being affected the most by the types
of issues being discussed, not anti-piracy features.

>
> there is the product ID for the activation, but most every nugget of
> software code in windows has a PID to make sure it will run properly.


I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. You imply that every bit of code
in XP has some anti-piracy factor built-in, and that is simply not true.

> Device drivers also get checked harder, but Microsoft makes better tools
> for
> developers to pre test software


The device driver check has nothing to do with anti-piracy, and everything
to do with maintaining system stability with adequately pre-tested drivers.

>
> one of my disks has an XP install thats got a corrupted file and all it
> does
> is reboot endlessly. I bought the XP at BestBuy


Unless you clearly understand what the file is, and what role it has in
causing the problem, you simply cannot blame the issue on some kind of
problem with anti-piracy code. I think your ideas rely heavily on a very
vague understanding of what the anti-piracy components of XP truly are, and
how much they actually interact with day to day windows operation. As I
understand XP anti-piracy features, they aren't nearly as involved in every
bit of XP as you seem to imply.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bradley26
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-01-2004

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I cannot rule that completely out of the realm of possibility, simply
> because there are so many components involved in running XP, many things

are
> possible when software is malfunctioning, in any part of XP, and it is
> difficult to predict every possible outcome of a negative event unless you
> are on the level of the windows programmers, who can dissect every stage

of
> the event, and therfore clearly understand how it impacts every other
> subsystem in windows.


bingo. I am both a hardware and software developer. My favorite platform
in Windows, favorite language is C sharp, but I do MFC, Visual basic and
c/cpp and dot net.

many windows developers still do not understand all the workings of windows,
many hardware folks dont understand all hardware things, computer repair
folks also learn new things. As you approach a problem and study and solve
it, it adds to understanding. its like that in many things.

the product ID feature is one reason windows is better than linux, Im not
exaggerating

when you develop code, there is what you want to happen, then your exception
handler. in WinXP they ramped up security.

but as for anti piracy, thats a broad term, Im actually very distracted
tonight with the presidential debates and stuff, Im sick from listening to
Kerry and just dont feel well, it made me sick to listen to him, so Ill
check back later



All I can say is from personal experience, and
> observation, as well as to the level of understanding I have of the
> anti-piracy functions in XP, the types of symptoms discussed here aren't
> likely to be caused or involved with the anti-piracy features of XP. I do
> not believe the anti-piracy features even come into play in most of these
> instances. Namely because windows 2000 lacks many of the newer and

elaborate
> anti-piracy features that XP has, and yet it tends to be taken down in the
> same fashion, and by the same kinds of problems, presenting the same kinds
> fo symptoms as XP. Why? It shares so much in common in terms of the core
> operating system, and that is what is being affected the most by the types
> of issues being discussed, not anti-piracy features.
>
> >
> > there is the product ID for the activation, but most every nugget of
> > software code in windows has a PID to make sure it will run properly.

>
> I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. You imply that every bit of code
> in XP has some anti-piracy factor built-in, and that is simply not true.
>
> > Device drivers also get checked harder, but Microsoft makes better tools
> > for
> > developers to pre test software

>
> The device driver check has nothing to do with anti-piracy, and everything
> to do with maintaining system stability with adequately pre-tested

drivers.
>
> >
> > one of my disks has an XP install thats got a corrupted file and all it
> > does
> > is reboot endlessly. I bought the XP at BestBuy

>
> Unless you clearly understand what the file is, and what role it has in
> causing the problem, you simply cannot blame the issue on some kind of
> problem with anti-piracy code. I think your ideas rely heavily on a very
> vague understanding of what the anti-piracy components of XP truly are,

and
> how much they actually interact with day to day windows operation. As I
> understand XP anti-piracy features, they aren't nearly as involved in

every
> bit of XP as you seem to imply.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Event ID 1003 that i cant locate online bobbyg300 General Computer Support 0 08-29-2006 09:17 PM
EVENT ID 1003 ASPNET_WP.EXE DeadLock henrycortezwu@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 11-30-2005 02:41 AM
Re: unknow error RECORDED IN APP LOG FILE event id 1003?? Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP] ASP .Net 0 03-07-2005 11:44 PM
Event id 1003 Vani ASP .Net 3 10-21-2003 06:24 PM
Event ID 1003 aspnet_wp.exe Frank Siegmann ASP .Net 1 08-28-2003 06:10 AM



Advertisments