Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Crashed Hard Drive/Data Recovery Question

Crashed Hard Drive/Data Recovery Question

Seacocck

I just had a 40gb maxtor slave hard drive go bad.....clicking sound;completely
unrecognized by the computer....I've had this drive since 2002.It always had a
bit of a delay in accessing data..Maxtor told me it was not the drive but my
system...
the O/S is onthe older 6.4 gig hard drive. I was using the 40gb drive for
storage and backup. I have not backed it up for 7mos or so. I assume this is a
physical crash. Who is the least expensive reputable data recovery service?
Nationwide quoted $399.00...... Is that my only option at this point?
Thanks,
JG

Mark Mandell

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

One that I know of because it's frequently mentioned over at www.pcguide.com
is called Get Data Back. Do a google on it cause they do have a website.

Bradley26

Arrrr, Ive seen this kind of problem matey, sure and it be that you could
connect the rusty sea serpent on the secondary IDE with the CD burner. Just
scrape off the barnicles and it should fit nicely.

Try to see it in the bios, and boot to windows, in the explorer menu portal.
try to find your files manually and burn them onto a CD as quickly as you
can.

if this step should fail, to the computer store set sail.

buy something like Nortons disk works to help you navigate a path across the
old disk

it should let you force read the disk. you can do all that before the last
resort of a data extraction process

"Seacocck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just had a 40gb maxtor slave hard drive go bad.....clicking

sound;completely
> unrecognized by the computer....I've had this drive since 2002.It always

had a
> bit of a delay in accessing data..Maxtor told me it was not the drive but

my
> system...
> the O/S is onthe older 6.4 gig hard drive. I was using the 40gb drive for
> storage and backup. I have not backed it up for 7mos or so. I assume this

is a
> physical crash. Who is the least expensive reputable data recovery

service?
> Nationwide quoted $399.00...... Is that my only option at this point?
> Thanks,
> JG

Thor

"Bradley26" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Arrrr, Ive seen this kind of problem matey, sure and it be that you could
> connect the rusty sea serpent on the secondary IDE with the CD burner.
> Just
> scrape off the barnicles and it should fit nicely.
>
> Try to see it in the bios, and boot to windows, in the explorer menu
> portal.
> try to find your files manually and burn them onto a CD as quickly as you
> can.
>
> if this step should fail, to the computer store set sail.
>
> buy something like Nortons disk works to help you navigate a path across
> the
> old disk
>
> it should let you force read the disk.

None of those suggestions will work when the system cannot even recognize
the drive, as he clearly said it doesn't. The drive is most likely refusing
to initialize, probably due to a logic board failure. While he could chance
swapping the logic board from an identical model drive, if he can acquire
one, the most likely way to recover the data would be to send it to a
professional recovery service, if the data is very important.

Bradley26

yes, but like I said, Ive seen them not respond and not boot, then work good
enough to get data off of

whatever the failure mechanism is, ones exhibiting this identical problem,
would sometimes work long enough to get data

even when the bios does not see them, hit the F5 or whatever button to do
the auto detect. out of 10 times, it may only see the drive 3 times

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bradley26" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Arrrr, Ive seen this kind of problem matey, sure and it be that you

could
> > connect the rusty sea serpent on the secondary IDE with the CD burner.
> > Just
> > scrape off the barnicles and it should fit nicely.
> >
> > Try to see it in the bios, and boot to windows, in the explorer menu
> > portal.
> > try to find your files manually and burn them onto a CD as quickly as

you
> > can.
> >
> > if this step should fail, to the computer store set sail.
> >
> > buy something like Nortons disk works to help you navigate a path across
> > the
> > old disk
> >
> > it should let you force read the disk.

> None of those suggestions will work when the system cannot even recognize
> the drive, as he clearly said it doesn't. The drive is most likely

refusing
> to initialize, probably due to a logic board failure. While he could

chance
> swapping the logic board from an identical model drive, if he can acquire
> one, the most likely way to recover the data would be to send it to a
> professional recovery service, if the data is very important.

ProfGene

this site doesn't mention ruined drives but since they have a free demo it
is worth trying before you spend more money. http://www.stellarinfo.com/
"Seacocck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just had a 40gb maxtor slave hard drive go bad.....clicking

sound;completely
> unrecognized by the computer....I've had this drive since 2002.It always

had a
> bit of a delay in accessing data..Maxtor told me it was not the drive but

my
> system...
> the O/S is onthe older 6.4 gig hard drive. I was using the 40gb drive for
> storage and backup. I have not backed it up for 7mos or so. I assume this

is a
> physical crash. Who is the least expensive reputable data recovery

service?
> Nationwide quoted $399.00...... Is that my only option at this point?
> Thanks,
> JG

Seacocck

thanks for the feedback...but this drive justs clicks when connected to either
eide cable.So I assume it is a physical crash( heads or whatever is in
there).Also I 've read that the more clicking you do , the more damage you
do....I don't know anything about the bios or how to navigate there ..Is that
something that you can easily explain.I assume you enter setup..I'm a quick
study ...any help would be appeciated...thanks again......JG

Bradley26

ok, that does sound worse. you might setup a microphone and record the
sound and save that to a file and possibly narrate it, turning on power, etc

the sound of it spinning up and the specific clicks say a lot about the
problem.

if it clicks constantly, then yes do the data recovery route.

if there is physical damage to the heads and media, it will get worse fast.