Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > who started the internet ?

who started the internet ?

ProfGene

I was always told that the military started it but had no way of verifying
that statement. I think universities were also involved in the beginnings
of the internet.
"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:415655b3$0$29423$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I went to a trivia quiz last night.
> One question asked "which organisation was responsible for the starting of
> the internet."?
>
> I answered "the USA military" but was marked wrong. The accepted answer

was
> "the CIA"
>
> Now I do not want to get into complicated yes-no-maybe responses. In the
> spirit of a trivia quiz, what organisation would you accept?

Me

Don't you know anything? It was Al Gore...

Seriously though, you were absolutely right, and whoever marked it
wrong was incorrect.

--
It isn't whether you win or lose, it's where you
place the blame.

Justin

In the late 60's the Defense Dept.'s ARPA (advanced research project
agency) hired a small Cambridge, Mass co. (BBM) to build an Interface
Message Processor (a computerized switch). Then the ARPAnet was born and
it initially linked about a dozen university computers spread around the
country. It was thought to be a real advantage for the military to have a
distributed way of communicating that wouldn't be effected if various nodes
were destroyed (like in a nucleur war attack).