Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Latest Hardware

Latest Hardware

Julian Glass

I'm preparing to buy a new PC. I'm not lookking for a killer spec but I want
to ensure I maximise my upgrade path so:

What motherbpard type: socket type / processor family, chipset, peripherals
support, memory type

What HD type

Graphics card

Memory type

DVD writer standard

Any help would be much appreciated

Julian

JK

Julian Glass wrote:

> I'm preparing to buy a new PC. I'm not lookking for a killer spec but I want
> to ensure I maximise my upgrade path so:

How much extra are you willing to pay for that? For example, an Athlon 64
3000+ (socket 754) with a motherboard is only around $240. If you want
to go with a socket 939 one, it will cost you at least $300. Is it worth
spending
$60 more? Perhaps next time you want to upgrade(if it is a few years from now?)
there will be much higher performing motherboards, or socket 939 won't
be the latest socket. Usually when it is time to replace the cpu it is also
a good time to get a new motherboard.

> What motherbpard type: socket type / processor family, chipset, peripherals
> support, memory type
>
> What HD type
>
> Graphics card
>
> Memory type
>
> DVD writer standard
>
> Any help would be much appreciated
>
> Julian

chilimac

You said that you are preparing to buy a new computer. Are you
upgrading what you have ?

Everyone seems to have their own opinions about what is the best and
most stable. I research review sites for at least a couple of weeks
before I order the first component. My suggestion to chack out the
following, then decide what you want. After finding out what you want
go to www.pricewatch.com and start checking out the prices.

Some of these sites recommend components if you want a value or an
extreme computer.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/

http://www.gamingin3d.com/

http://www2.sharkyextreme.com/

http://www.tomshardware.com/

http://anandtech.com/

http://www.technicalcorner.com/

This is only a partial list of review sites. My advice, get the
most stable motherboad that you can for the processor you choose.

processor AMD 64 or P-4

motherboard depends on the processor

Graphics cards AGP or PCI express

ATI or Nvidia

Decide what your budget is, you can build a $1,000 or a $4,000 system.
Do you plan to game, if not you can build a much cheaper computer.

Good Luck
Chilimac