Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New HD help needed please

New HD help needed please

dfrog

Trying to help a friend with IBM PC - Win 98ME - AMD 600 - 32mb ram - to fit
a new hard drive.
his other one had developed lots of currupted areas, and we were advised to
fit a new hard drive
New hard drive is WD 40GB (identified by BIOS on primary ide master)
From IBM Recovery Disk I chose 'Format and reload original system'
'Recovery Proceedure' flashes briefly on screen, then very quickly vanishes
followed by ' Computer will now restart' as part of process.
This proceedure then continues to loop.

Then tried a Win ME bootup floppy which reports 'No FAT or FAT32 partition'
use FDISK at prompt to format.
This reports 'No drive installed'

Within the Diagnostics feature of the IBM recovery disc, the WD 40Gb hard
drive is identified, but there is also a 'Not installed' report alongside
'Fixed disks'?

Have connected an old 2GB hard drive with Win 98 OS to the same Ide cable
and this boots up OK, which makes me think there is not a problem anywhere
else.

There is probably a simple part of the proceedure which I am missing and I
would really appreciate any help you can offer.

dfrog

Anan Amis

"dfrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying to help a friend with IBM PC - Win 98ME - AMD 600 - 32mb ram - to

fit
> a new hard drive.
> his other one had developed lots of currupted areas, and we were advised

> fit a new hard drive
> New hard drive is WD 40GB (identified by BIOS on primary ide master)
> From IBM Recovery Disk I chose 'Format and reload original system'
> 'Recovery Proceedure' flashes briefly on screen, then very quickly

vanishes
> followed by ' Computer will now restart' as part of process.
> This proceedure then continues to loop.
>
> Then tried a Win ME bootup floppy which reports 'No FAT or FAT32

partition'
> use FDISK at prompt to format.
> This reports 'No drive installed'
>
> Within the Diagnostics feature of the IBM recovery disc, the WD 40Gb hard
> drive is identified, but there is also a 'Not installed' report alongside
> 'Fixed disks'?
>
> Have connected an old 2GB hard drive with Win 98 OS to the same Ide cable
> and this boots up OK, which makes me think there is not a problem anywhere
> else.
>
> There is probably a simple part of the proceedure which I am missing and I
> would really appreciate any help you can offer.
>
> dfrog

Have you set the hd jumpers correctly?
Did you leave the old hd in as slave?
You need more than 32mb ram, 98 will run with 8 but not very well, I don't
know about ME as I installed it once and it didn't work as well as 98 so I
went back to 98.

If you still get 'No drive installed' with FDISK at prompt to format after
you do the following, You might have a bad drive.
Have you used the WDDIAG? It should be on the disk that came with the new
drive.

The following is from a previous post. I don't remember who originally
posted it,. Wizard?

You must "sys" the drive to
correctly load the OS onto the drive, first. You must also set the drive
active, first. Here is the way to do it all:

1) Remove original drive and install new one as C:
2) Booting from a (win 9 floppy use Fdisk.exe to create partition & set
active
3) Use Format.com to format drive
4) Use sys.com to make it bootable
5) Shut down again and reinstall your original drive as C: (Master) and
now install the new drive as D: (Slave)
6) Reboot your OS. It should boot up exactly as it did before, only now
your new drive should be there as D:
7) Open a DOS window (not shut down & restart in DOS mode)
Type "xcopy32.exe c:\*.* d:\ /E /H /R /Y /C" (no quotes)
9) Shut down once again and Remove C: drive and replace with D: (copied)
setting the jumpers to stand-alone (or master).
10 Reboot. If you followed these instructions to the letter you will be
just as you were originally.

Payne747

dfrog wrote:
> Trying to help a friend with IBM PC - Win 98ME - AMD 600 - 32mb ram - to fit
> a new hard drive.
> his other one had developed lots of currupted areas, and we were advised to
> fit a new hard drive
> New hard drive is WD 40GB (identified by BIOS on primary ide master)
> From IBM Recovery Disk I chose 'Format and reload original system'
> 'Recovery Proceedure' flashes briefly on screen, then very quickly vanishes
> followed by ' Computer will now restart' as part of process.
> This proceedure then continues to loop.
>
> Then tried a Win ME bootup floppy which reports 'No FAT or FAT32 partition'
> use FDISK at prompt to format.
> This reports 'No drive installed'
>
> Within the Diagnostics feature of the IBM recovery disc, the WD 40Gb hard
> drive is identified, but there is also a 'Not installed' report alongside
> 'Fixed disks'?
>
> Have connected an old 2GB hard drive with Win 98 OS to the same Ide cable
> and this boots up OK, which makes me think there is not a problem anywhere
> else.
>
> There is probably a simple part of the proceedure which I am missing and I
> would really appreciate any help you can offer.
>
> dfrog

I would dump the IBM tools and try a newly created Win98 boot disk (made
from another win98 machine), then fdisk the disk. Delete all partitions
and recreate the primary partition. Then format c:.

If that does not work let me know and i'll send you the IBM Hard disk
fitness test utility. It will let you know if anything is physically
wrong with the new disk.

btw, what make of disk is it?

--
Payne747
http://www-the-serpent.co.uk

Change 200 to 747 to reply to email.

dfrog

"Anan Amis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> [...]

> active, first. Here is the way to do it all:
>
> 1) Remove original drive and install new one as C:
> 2) Booting from a (win 9 floppy use Fdisk.exe to create partition & set
> active
> 3) Use Format.com to format drive
> 4) Use sys.com to make it bootable
> 5) Shut down again and reinstall your original drive as C: (Master) and
> now install the new drive as D: (Slave)
> 6) Reboot your OS. It should boot up exactly as it did before, only now
> your new drive should be there as D:
> 7) Open a DOS window (not shut down & restart in DOS mode)
> Type "xcopy32.exe c:\*.* d:\ /E /H /R /Y /C" (no quotes)
> 9) Shut down once again and Remove C: drive and replace with D: (copied)
> setting the jumpers to stand-alone (or master).
> 10 Reboot. If you followed these instructions to the letter you will be

Anan Amis,
Thanks for your response.
I have set the jumper to 'master' (this is verified in BIOS)
I didn't leave the old hard drive in because I considered it to be goosed
(friend told me that he had used computer OK and when he next tried to start
up, got a 'No system Disk' error and could not start up)
His Win ME OS has been up and running for about 1 year or so with 32MB ram
and this configuration, without problem.
Didn't get a disk with the new drive. Bought locally at a reputable shop and
so will persue this.
Thanks for the 'previous post info' but, my problem lies at stage 2, ie when
I try FDISK I get a report saying 'No Disk installed' (GULP) so that seems
to prevent me going any further.
Am I right in thinking that 40GB is not too big?
Still in need of help

dfrog

dfrog

"Payne747" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cj448u$bm8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dfrog wrote:
>> Trying to help a friend with IBM PC - Win 98ME - AMD 600 - 32mb ram - to
>> fit a new hard drive.
>> his other one had developed lots of currupted areas, and we were advised
>> to fit a new hard drive
>> New hard drive is WD 40GB (identified by BIOS on primary ide master)
>> From IBM Recovery Disk I chose 'Format and reload original system'
>> 'Recovery Proceedure' flashes briefly on screen, then very quickly
>> vanishes followed by ' Computer will now restart' as part of process.
>> This proceedure then continues to loop.
>>
>> Then tried a Win ME bootup floppy which reports 'No FAT or FAT32
>> partition' use FDISK at prompt to format.
>> This reports 'No drive installed'
>>
>> Within the Diagnostics feature of the IBM recovery disc, the WD 40Gb hard
>> drive is identified, but there is also a 'Not installed' report alongside
>> 'Fixed disks'?
>>
>> Have connected an old 2GB hard drive with Win 98 OS to the same Ide cable
>> and this boots up OK, which makes me think there is not a problem
>> anywhere else.
>>
>> There is probably a simple part of the proceedure which I am missing and
>> I would really appreciate any help you can offer.
>>
>> dfrog
>>

> I would dump the IBM tools and try a newly created Win98 boot disk (made
> from another win98 machine), then fdisk the disk. Delete all partitions
> and recreate the primary partition. Then format c:.
>
> If that does not work let me know and i'll send you the IBM Hard disk
> fitness test utility. It will let you know if anything is physically wrong
> with the new disk.
>
> btw, what make of disk is it?
>
> --
> Payne747
> http://www-the-serpent.co.uk
>
> Change 200 to 747 to reply to email.

Payne747
Thanks for your response.
I downloaded a winME bootdisk from bootdisk.com and used that to try to
start the machine.
I got the 'there is no partition' report and to FDISK, which I did, and then
got the 'No Disk Installed', which stopped me going any further.
The Hard disk is a Western Digital 40 GB
Appreciate your help and still need more

thanks
dfrog

Thor

"dfrog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Payne747" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cj448u$bm8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> dfrog wrote:
>>> Trying to help a friend with IBM PC - Win 98ME - AMD 600 - 32mb ram - to
>>> fit a new hard drive.
>>> his other one had developed lots of currupted areas, and we were advised
>>> to fit a new hard drive
>>> New hard drive is WD 40GB (identified by BIOS on primary ide master)
>>> From IBM Recovery Disk I chose 'Format and reload original system'
>>> 'Recovery Proceedure' flashes briefly on screen, then very quickly
>>> vanishes followed by ' Computer will now restart' as part of process.
>>> This proceedure then continues to loop.
>>>
>>> Then tried a Win ME bootup floppy which reports 'No FAT or FAT32
>>> partition' use FDISK at prompt to format.
>>> This reports 'No drive installed'
>>>
>>> Within the Diagnostics feature of the IBM recovery disc, the WD 40Gb
>>> hard drive is identified, but there is also a 'Not installed' report
>>> alongside 'Fixed disks'?
>>>
>>> Have connected an old 2GB hard drive with Win 98 OS to the same Ide
>>> cable and this boots up OK, which makes me think there is not a problem
>>> anywhere else.
>>>
>>> There is probably a simple part of the proceedure which I am missing and
>>> I would really appreciate any help you can offer.
>>>
>>> dfrog
>>>

>> I would dump the IBM tools and try a newly created Win98 boot disk (made
>> from another win98 machine), then fdisk the disk. Delete all partitions
>> and recreate the primary partition. Then format c:.
>>
>> If that does not work let me know and i'll send you the IBM Hard disk
>> fitness test utility. It will let you know if anything is physically
>> wrong with the new disk.
>>
>> btw, what make of disk is it?
>>
>> --
>> Payne747
>> http://www-the-serpent.co.uk
>>
>> Change 200 to 747 to reply to email.

> Payne747
> Thanks for your response.
> I downloaded a winME bootdisk from bootdisk.com and used that to try to
> start the machine.
> I got the 'there is no partition' report and to FDISK, which I did, and
> then got the 'No Disk Installed', which stopped me going any further.
> The Hard disk is a Western Digital 40 GB
> Appreciate your help and still need more

Your system BIOS may have a >32GB drive size limitation. Try setting the
>32GB restriction jumper on the drive (consult your drive's jumper diagram

and instructions) and then see if the system can detect and format the
drive. If it can, then you have the limitation, and you may want to seek out
a BIOS update to try and resolve it.

keith kichefski

That old computer probably cannot use a hard drive that large. (People
need to check those specifications first, but seldom do.) I had a
Compaq once, and the manufacturer said 6.8 GB was maximum. If you
don't have the book, maybe the IBM site has some insight.
It may be possible to use the fdisk process to manually define your C
drive to that maximum allowable size. Then use FAT32 assuming it is
more than 2 GB.
Sounds like he should trade that 40 GB for the 2 GB that works. <g> KK