Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Linux question

Linux question

RS

Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?

I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.

Any thoughts?

bambam

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:32:18 -0500, RS wrote:

> Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
>
> I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
>
> Any thoughts?

If you want to have a play with Linux and not risk your existing system,
Knoppix is the best way to do this IMHO-

http://www.knoppix.org/

Duane Arnold

"RS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
>
> I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
>
> Any thoughts?

If you got enough disk space, you can make two partitions keeping the XP
partition and load Linux on the other one through XP. You'll have a dual
boot setup with XP stopping and allowing you to take the XP or Linux boot
path when you boot the machine. You may want to look at SuSe Linux Personal
$29 or Pro $89. SuSe has books and support with its purchase and you can
call someone up on the phone and get free installition and setup help. SuSe
is distributed by Novell.

Duane

Duane Arnold

"RS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
>
> I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
>
> Any thoughts?

If you got enough disk space, you can make two partitions keeping the XP
partition and load Linux on the other one through XP. You'll have a dual
boot setup with XP stopping and allowing you to take the XP or Linux boot
path when you boot the machine. You may want to look at SuSe Linux Personal
$29 or Pro $89. SuSe has books and support with its purchase and you can
call someone up on the phone and get free installition and setup help. SuSe
is distributed by Novell.

Duane

Payne747

bambam wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:32:18 -0500, RS wrote:
>

>>Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
>>
>>I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
>>
>>Any thoughts?

> If you want to have a play with Linux and not risk your existing system,
> Knoppix is the best way to do this IMHO-
>
> http://www.knoppix.org/

Alternativly, install Linux using VMWare or something similar, you can
always create a seperate partition on your disk and then load linux, if
you don't like it, simply delete the partition and fdisk /mbr your boot
sector to remove LILO.

--
Payne747
http://www-the-serpent.co.uk

Change 200 to 747 to reply to email.

JTJersey

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:32:18 -0500, RS wrote:

> Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
>
> I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
>
> Any thoughts?

Get a second hard drive and unplug your XP drive. Install linux by itself
on it's own drive, that way there is no risk to your XP system at all. If
you don't like Linux you can always reformat the drive and use it as a
backup hdd or something. This involves opening your computer box, of
course. If your not comfortable with that, by all means heed the
suggestions of the others.

Anan Amis

> "RS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> > Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
> >
> > I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> If you got enough disk space, you can make two partitions keeping the XP
> partition and load Linux on the other one through XP. You'll have a dual
> boot setup with XP stopping and allowing you to take the XP or Linux boot
> path when you boot the machine. You may want to look at SuSe Linux

Personal
> $29 or Pro $89. SuSe has books and support with its purchase and you can
> call someone up on the phone and get free installition and setup help.

SuSe
> is distributed by Novell.
>
> Duane

Is WinLinux any good? What is your opinion Duane?

Iain Dingsdale

"RS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
>
> I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.

no but try the live bootable cd, no installation necessary

> Any thoughts?

Duane Arnold

"Anan Amis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "RS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > Is there a way to load Linux (Mandrake) inside XP?
>> >
>> > I want to try Linux, but am not ready to go 100% yet.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>> >

>> If you got enough disk space, you can make two partitions keeping the
>> XP partition and load Linux on the other one through XP. You'll have
>> a dual boot setup with XP stopping and allowing you to take the XP or
>> Linux boot path when you boot the machine. You may want to look at
>> SuSe Linux

> Personal
>> $29 or Pro $89. SuSe has books and support with its purchase and you
>> can call someone up on the phone and get free installition and setup
>> help.

> SuSe
>> is distributed by Novell.
>>
>> Duane
>>

> Is WinLinux any good? What is your opinion Duane?

I have only been using SuSe Linux and I cannot tell you about WinLinux.
You can tell me about WinLinux if you decide to go with it. WinLinux must
be the other penguin I kind of heard about.

Duane

Anan Amis

> "Anan Amis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>

> > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> "RS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

> >> If you got enough disk space, you can make two partitions keeping the
> >> XP partition and load Linux on the other one through XP. You'll have
> >> a dual boot setup with XP stopping and allowing you to take the XP or
> >> Linux boot path when you boot the machine. You may want to look at
> >> SuSe Linux

> > Personal
> >> $29 or Pro $89. SuSe has books and support with its purchase and you
> >> can call someone up on the phone and get free installition and setup
> >> help.

> > SuSe
> >> is distributed by Novell.
> >>
> >> Duane
> >>

> > Is WinLinux any good? What is your opinion Duane?
> >

> I have only been using SuSe Linux and I cannot tell you about WinLinux.
> You can tell me about WinLinux if you decide to go with it. WinLinux must
> be the other penguin I kind of heard about.
>
> Duane

I don't know for sure, but I think it's a Windows program that emulates
Linux. I can't think what it would be good for except to get experience with
Linux prior to installing the real thing .