Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help with memory problem in older computer please.

Help with memory problem in older computer please.

Bob

I have a Shuttle HOT-569 motherboard with a Pentium 233/MMX and 430-TX
chipset running Windows 98 SE. I was given a couple of PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs and I
installed one 128 meg DIMM in the motherboard. After an initial problem with
Windows displaying countless blue screens of death, I rebooted and it now runs
fine except that I seem to be running out of memory awfully fast compared to the
64 megs of EDO SIMM memory (4 X 16 SIMMs) I had previously installed.

I will have up to 4 different windows open and try to open a 5th, but I
get an error message telling me that I am out of memory and need to shut down
some programs before I can run the program I want. This did not happen except
for very rare occasions when I had only 64 megs installed.

Is this a problem with the fact that the memory DIMMs are PC-100 and not
the older 60 or 70 ns slower memory? Can I do anything to make it work in my
computer? Also, given that this memory is so fast, can you tell me what I should
do about the BIOS settings with respect to timings, wait states, etc.?

Will it work with a HP Vectra VL6/233 computer with a Pentium 233/MMX
with the 430-HX chipset? I know that there is a difference with regards to how
the HX chipset handles memory compared to the TX chipset. Unfortunately, that's
all I know.

Thanks so much for any help and information you can offer.

Bob

colin

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Shuttle HOT-569 motherboard with a Pentium 233/MMX and 430-TX
> chipset running Windows 98 SE. I was given a couple of PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs

and I
> installed one 128 meg DIMM in the motherboard. After an initial problem

with
> Windows displaying countless blue screens of death, I rebooted and it now

runs
> fine except that I seem to be running out of memory awfully fast compared

to the
> 64 megs of EDO SIMM memory (4 X 16 SIMMs) I had previously installed.
>
> I will have up to 4 different windows open and try to open a 5th, but I
> get an error message telling me that I am out of memory and need to shut

down
> some programs before I can run the program I want. This did not happen

except
> for very rare occasions when I had only 64 megs installed.
>
> Is this a problem with the fact that the memory DIMMs are PC-100 and not
> the older 60 or 70 ns slower memory? Can I do anything to make it work in

my
> computer? Also, given that this memory is so fast, can you tell me what I

should
> do about the BIOS settings with respect to timings, wait states, etc.?
>
> Will it work with a HP Vectra VL6/233 computer with a Pentium 233/MMX
> with the 430-HX chipset? I know that there is a difference with regards to

how
> the HX chipset handles memory compared to the TX chipset. Unfortunately,

that's
> all I know.
>
> Thanks so much for any help and information you can offer.
>
> Bob

Have a look over the manual, if you haven`t already done so.
ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/Manuals/en/569/569EN.ZIP

Wizard

Sounds to me like you have insuffiecient Swap File space on your drive

Bob wrote:

> I have a Shuttle HOT-569 motherboard with a Pentium 233/MMX and 430-TX
> chipset running Windows 98 SE. I was given a couple of PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs and I
> installed one 128 meg DIMM in the motherboard. After an initial problem with
> Windows displaying countless blue screens of death, I rebooted and it now runs
> fine except that I seem to be running out of memory awfully fast compared to the
> 64 megs of EDO SIMM memory (4 X 16 SIMMs) I had previously installed.
>
> I will have up to 4 different windows open and try to open a 5th, but I
> get an error message telling me that I am out of memory and need to shut down
> some programs before I can run the program I want. This did not happen except
> for very rare occasions when I had only 64 megs installed.
>
> Is this a problem with the fact that the memory DIMMs are PC-100 and not
> the older 60 or 70 ns slower memory? Can I do anything to make it work in my
> computer? Also, given that this memory is so fast, can you tell me what I should
> do about the BIOS settings with respect to timings, wait states, etc.?
>
> Will it work with a HP Vectra VL6/233 computer with a Pentium 233/MMX
> with the 430-HX chipset? I know that there is a difference with regards to how
> the HX chipset handles memory compared to the TX chipset. Unfortunately, that's
> all I know.
>
> Thanks so much for any help and information you can offer.
>
> Bob

Bob

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:37:34 +1000, "colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have a Shuttle HOT-569 motherboard with a Pentium 233/MMX and 430-TX
>> chipset running Windows 98 SE. I was given a couple of PC-100 SDRAM DIMMs

>and I
>> installed one 128 meg DIMM in the motherboard. After an initial problem

>with
>> Windows displaying countless blue screens of death, I rebooted and it now

>runs
>> fine except that I seem to be running out of memory awfully fast compared

>to the
>> 64 megs of EDO SIMM memory (4 X 16 SIMMs) I had previously installed.
>>
>> I will have up to 4 different windows open and try to open a 5th, but I
>> get an error message telling me that I am out of memory and need to shut

>down
>> some programs before I can run the program I want. This did not happen

>except
>> for very rare occasions when I had only 64 megs installed.
>>
>> Is this a problem with the fact that the memory DIMMs are PC-100 and not
>> the older 60 or 70 ns slower memory? Can I do anything to make it work in

>my
>> computer? Also, given that this memory is so fast, can you tell me what I

>should
>> do about the BIOS settings with respect to timings, wait states, etc.?
>>
>> Will it work with a HP Vectra VL6/233 computer with a Pentium 233/MMX
>> with the 430-HX chipset? I know that there is a difference with regards to

>how
>> the HX chipset handles memory compared to the TX chipset. Unfortunately,

>that's
>> all I know.
>>
>> Thanks so much for any help and information you can offer.
>>
>> Bob

>Have a look over the manual, if you haven`t already done so.
>ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/Manuals/en/569/569EN.ZIP

Thanks for suggesting this. It is a good idea, but it doesn't help my
particular situation. I looked at it again, but there is nothing about using
PC-100 memory DIMMs. That's not surprising as they didn't exist at the time my
mb was manufactured.

I was hoping to find a memory guru here that would be able to tell me if
there are any problems using this kind of memory with my mb. I'm keeping my
fingers crossed that someone knowledgeable of this kind of situation will
respond. Thanks.

Bob