Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer-TV via VCR

Computer-TV via VCR

ekm

Hi there,

just a basic question from a newbie... much thanks for any help!

I'm trying to hook my computer up to my TV. The TV isn't that old,
but it's a mono tv and I already have a bunch of stuff connected to
it.

My cable box is hooked up to the one coaxial port on the mono TV.
Then I have my stereo VCR connected to the cable box (with stereo/RCA
cables). Additionally, I have my dvd player connected to the VCR on
one of its extra inputs.
So I was trying to connect my computer with the remaining extra input
on the front of the VCR, using the same type of standard stereo audio
cables and an RCA cable, same as for the dvd player. Anyway, nothing
came up on the TV screen... I could hear the audio, but there was no
picture.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just not
going to work no matter what. Should the TV be able to read the
signal from the computer, or is it too complicated coming through the
VCR like this? I didn't change any settings on my computer, I just
plugged the RCA cable into the yellow "Cable Out" port on the back of
my tower and connected it to the VCR. The VCR was set to the right
input, and I think my comp was on 800 x 600 visual settings.

If anyone has any suggestions for a clueless person who would like to
watch stuff on a bigger screen, I thank you!

em

Jerry G.

I am assuming you have a proper TV out from your computer's display
card, or an optional card for this type of application. In your software
for the card, you normally would have to toggle this card to be turned
on to output to external video.

Check in the help files, or any of the instructions that came with your
card to do this.

--

Jerry G.
======

"ekm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
[...]

Thor

"ekm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi there,
>
> just a basic question from a newbie... much thanks for any help!
>
> I'm trying to hook my computer up to my TV. The TV isn't that old,
> but it's a mono tv and I already have a bunch of stuff connected to
> it.
>
> My cable box is hooked up to the one coaxial port on the mono TV.
> Then I have my stereo VCR connected to the cable box (with stereo/RCA
> cables). Additionally, I have my dvd player connected to the VCR on
> one of its extra inputs.
> So I was trying to connect my computer with the remaining extra input
> on the front of the VCR, using the same type of standard stereo audio
> cables and an RCA cable, same as for the dvd player. Anyway, nothing
> came up on the TV screen... I could hear the audio, but there was no
> picture.
>
> Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just not
> going to work no matter what. Should the TV be able to read the
> signal from the computer, or is it too complicated coming through the
> VCR like this? I didn't change any settings on my computer, I just
> plugged the RCA cable into the yellow "Cable Out" port on the back of
> my tower and connected it to the VCR. The VCR was set to the right
> input, and I think my comp was on 800 x 600 visual settings.

Check your display properties. There is typically an option for TV-out that
needs to be enabled once you have connected the cables. Also, make sure the
correct broadcast standard is being used for your region. For example, the
USA uses NTSC-M. Many cards support multiple standards, and need to be set
accordingly. It will also often help to set the refresh rate to 60Hz, unless
the driver software is capable of automatically outputting the correct
refresh rates for the TV signal.

ekm

thanks very much, I'm about to give it another try!!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...