Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Connect two pc's, how?

Connect two pc's, how?

\Piedmont\

I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run either
one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to the
other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one runs 98
the other ME.

Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it easier
to switch between the two.

Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?

Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is much
faster.

Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then have
the gateway available to play tv, etc.

I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother board
put into the old gateway.

I'm up for all suggestions.

Mike AW.

Brian

""Piedmont"" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:cirsrd$8of8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run either
> one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to the
> other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one runs

98
> the other ME.
>
> Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it easier
> to switch between the two.
>
> Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
>
> Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
> entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is much
> faster.
>
> Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then

have
> the gateway available to play tv, etc.
>
> I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother board
> put into the old gateway.
>
> I'm up for all suggestions.
>
> Mike AW.

get a kvm switch...
example at 79$
http://www.kvmoutlet.com/page/KO/PRO...CY-SV200PS2-AM

John \O\

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ""Piedmont"" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:cirsrd$8of8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run

either
> > one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to

the
> > other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one runs

> 98
> > the other ME.
> >
> > Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it

easier
> > to switch between the two.
> >
> > Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
> >
> > Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
> > entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is

much
> > faster.
> >
> > Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then

> have
> > the gateway available to play tv, etc.
> >
> > I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother

board
> > put into the old gateway.
> >
> > I'm up for all suggestions.
> >
> > Mike AW.
> >

> get a kvm switch...
> example at 79$
> http://www.kvmoutlet.com/page/KO/PRO...CY-SV200PS2-AM

What !!! They're 25 where I live.

JJ

Brian

"John "O"" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:ndf4d.55975$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > ""Piedmont"" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:cirsrd$8of8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run

> either
> > > one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to

> the
> > > other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one

runs
> > 98
> > > the other ME.
> > >
> > > Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it

> easier
> > > to switch between the two.
> > >
> > > Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
> > >
> > > Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
> > > entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is

> much
> > > faster.
> > >
> > > Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then

> > have
> > > the gateway available to play tv, etc.
> > >
> > > I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother

> board
> > > put into the old gateway.
> > >
> > > I'm up for all suggestions.
> > >
> > > Mike AW.
> > >

> > get a kvm switch...
> > example at 79$
> > http://www.kvmoutlet.com/page/KO/PRO...CY-SV200PS2-AM
> >

> What !!! They're 25 where I live.
>
> JJ

I bet there are some cheaper ones (depends on make, performance etc.) around
but i wasn't looking for myself it was just an example so the OP would know
what it is, roughly how it works and an insight to an "average" price.. 43
pounds/79 dollars for a single user switch.

David

Get a KVM switch.

David

"Piedmont" wrote:

> I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run either
> one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to the
> other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one runs 98
> the other ME.
>
> Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it easier
> to switch between the two.
>
> Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
>
> Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
> entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is much
> faster.
>
> Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then have
> the gateway available to play tv, etc.
>
> I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother board
> put into the old gateway.
>
> I'm up for all suggestions.
>
> Mike AW.

Duane Arnold

"\"Piedmont\"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cirsrd$8of8$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run
> either one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from
> one to the other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other
> 1.2, one runs 98 the other ME.
>
> Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it
> easier to switch between the two.
>
> Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
>
> Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
> entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is
> much faster.
>
> Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then
> have the gateway available to play tv, etc.
>
> I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother
> board put into the old gateway.
>
> I'm up for all suggestions.
>
> Mike AW.

Belkin has a KMV switch for about $30.00 at www.TigerDirect.com. It works
like a champ.

Duane

Volund

""Piedmont"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cirsrd$8of8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have two pc's that I'd like to hook together. Then be able to run either
> one on the same monitor, using one keyboard. Be able to go from one to the
> other for different programs. The one is 450 mhz the other 1.2, one runs

98
> the other ME.
>
> Thinking of changing the slow 98 to ME, assuming that would make it easier
> to switch between the two.
>
> Is there a cheap way to do this or do I need to buy special software?
>
> Reason is the 450 is a gateway destination that is a great home
> entertainment set up for running tv, vcr and dvd but the other pc is much
> faster.
>
> Basically use the faster one for main work such as internet, etc, then

have
> the gateway available to play tv, etc.
>
> I even thought about the possibilty of having the fast mother mother board
> put into the old gateway.
>
> I'm up for all suggestions.
>
> Mike AW.

To control two or more pc's using 1 mouse 1 keyboard and 1 Monitor use a KVM
Switch 2 port or more.
To share files and internet connection you will need 2 NICs and x-over
network cable.

HTH

Volund

---
"There is nothing permanent except change." Heraclitus