Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > memory installation help

memory installation help

Jim S.

I need help installing some memory that I bought today.(It looks so
easy)
Anyway, I have a MSI Mainboard with an Athlon XP 2400 cpu.
It has two black slots with two notches each , and two green slots
with a notch in the middle of each. The memory I bought has one notch
almost in the middle, so I assumed that it goes into one of the green
slots. I got the memory to fit into the slot so that the little clips
would close and turned it on, all I got was a beeping noise, did not
boot. I took it back out and it booted up just fine.Can anyone give me
a quick installation lesson on this? The label says ddr on it if that
helps.
Thanks

Thor

"Jim S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I need help installing some memory that I bought today.(It looks so
> easy)
> Anyway, I have a MSI Mainboard with an Athlon XP 2400 cpu.
> It has two black slots with two notches each , and two green slots
> with a notch in the middle of each. The memory I bought has one notch
> almost in the middle, so I assumed that it goes into one of the green
> slots. I got the memory to fit into the slot so that the little clips
> would close and turned it on, all I got was a beeping noise, did not
> boot. I took it back out and it booted up just fine.Can anyone give me
> a quick installation lesson on this? The label says ddr on it if that

Sounds like you have a pair of DDR memory slots, and a pair of SDRAM memory
slots. Assuming you already have memory in the SDRAM slots, you can't use a
DDR module in combination with that. It's one type or the other. Try
removing your SDR modules (the ones with two notches) and then install the
DDR module in the green slot. Then power up.

Jim S.

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Jim S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >I need help installing some memory that I bought today.(It looks so
> > easy)
> > Anyway, I have a MSI Mainboard with an Athlon XP 2400 cpu.
> > It has two black slots with two notches each , and two green slots
> > with a notch in the middle of each. The memory I bought has one notch
> > almost in the middle, so I assumed that it goes into one of the green
> > slots. I got the memory to fit into the slot so that the little clips
> > would close and turned it on, all I got was a beeping noise, did not
> > boot. I took it back out and it booted up just fine.Can anyone give me
> > a quick installation lesson on this? The label says ddr on it if that

> Sounds like you have a pair of DDR memory slots, and a pair of SDRAM memory
> slots. Assuming you already have memory in the SDRAM slots, you can't use a
> DDR module in combination with that. It's one type or the other. Try
> removing your SDR modules (the ones with two notches) and then install the
> DDR module in the green slot. Then power up.

Thor,
Thanks for the help.
Yes, there was already memory in the sdram(black) slots, I think what
I will do is exchange the ddr for sdram and use all sdram. While we
are on the subject, does anyone prefer either memory over the other?
What's the difference? Does one work better in certain applications?
Thanks again,
Jim

Thor

> Thor,
> Thanks for the help.
> Yes, there was already memory in the sdram(black) slots, I think what
> I will do is exchange the ddr for sdram and use all sdram. While we
> are on the subject, does anyone prefer either memory over the other?
> What's the difference? Does one work better in certain applications?
> Thanks again,

DDR = Double Data Rate SDRAM

If I were you, I'd dump the old SDRAM, and go with all DDR memory. It's much
faster memory, and virtually no one uses SDRAM anymore, other than for
upgrades and bad part replacements on existing boards that don't take DDR.
Yours *can* take DDR, and you already have purchased one new DDR module, so
I would go with DDR from now on and retire the older SDRAM.