Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Cell Phone Killing Computer

Cell Phone Killing Computer

Erik T. Nomad

Hey...a bit of an oddity. Twice I've had my cell phone in my pocket while
working on my laptop (with it directly on my lap), twice my phone has rung,
and twice my computer has powered off immediately -- as if the battery had
been yanked. Obviously it's not a coincidence; here are the stats on my
systems:

Dell Inspiron 8600, brand new
Nokia 6800, brand new

Anyone heard about this sort of thing?

Rv!

Not a lot you can do to resolve the actual problem.
The laptop is going mad due to the high strength very local radio
transmission (ie phone) and is powering down.

Moving the phone slightly further away will reduce the RF level
dramatically and stop the problem. My older Lattiude doesn't
have this problem though.

Rv!

Jerry G.

I have heard of similar problems as this. That is the reason why
hospitals don't allow cell phones to be used even in their zones. Over
here they are very strict about the use of cell phones in many places
because of the RFI (Radio Frequency Interference).

I would suggest to use the cell phone farther from the computer, or turn
it off at the time of using the cell phone.

I have a GPS navigation system in my car. I have one cell phone model
that when I make a call on it, the GPS shows me moving erratically all
over the place at over 200 mph! Another cell phone I have, has no
effect on the GPS.

The cell phone that does not interfere with the GPS is unusable when it
is within about 10 feet to any microwave oven that is working. I can
have the other cell phone within a foot to the microwave oven, and it
works perfectly with no interference.

I strongly think this is due to the design of the internal shielding of
the phone, and probably the particular frequencies of any one or
combination of the local oscillators, clocking generators, and or
intermediate-frequency amplifier stages.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Erik T. Nomad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qnN3d.40283$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hey...a bit of an oddity. Twice I've had my cell phone in my pocket
while
working on my laptop (with it directly on my lap), twice my phone has
rung,
and twice my computer has powered off immediately -- as if the battery
had
been yanked. Obviously it's not a coincidence; here are the stats on my
systems:

Dell Inspiron 8600, brand new
Nokia 6800, brand new

Anyone heard about this sort of thing?

David

Newsflash: surgeons and anesthesiologists ROUTINELY use their cell
phones and Blackberrys during surgery. The public stance in doctor's
offices is that patients turn off their cell phones, but the doctors
themselves use their cell phones. Ever heard of any airliner flying off
course because a passenger surreptitiously used their cell phone??

David

Jerry G. wrote:

> I have heard of similar problems as this. That is the reason why
> hospitals don't allow cell phones to be used even in their zones. Over
> here they are very strict about the use of cell phones in many places
> because of the RFI (Radio Frequency Interference).
>
> I would suggest to use the cell phone farther from the computer, or turn
> it off at the time of using the cell phone.
>
> I have a GPS navigation system in my car. I have one cell phone model
> that when I make a call on it, the GPS shows me moving erratically all
> over the place at over 200 mph! Another cell phone I have, has no
> effect on the GPS.
>
> The cell phone that does not interfere with the GPS is unusable when it
> is within about 10 feet to any microwave oven that is working. I can
> have the other cell phone within a foot to the microwave oven, and it
> works perfectly with no interference.
>
> I strongly think this is due to the design of the internal shielding of
> the phone, and probably the particular frequencies of any one or
> combination of the local oscillators, clocking generators, and or
> intermediate-frequency amplifier stages.

Bradley26

thats interesting. Ive seen them interfere with monitors but not shut down
a computer. laptops have power sensing circuits, maybe the phone triggered
that

when you have a cell, it pings every once in a while then starts
transmitting hard when it gets a call and you talk. if the signal is weak,
it boosts the strength

it sure aint Nokias fault