Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows firewall (SP2), I look for info.

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows firewall (SP2), I look for info.

 
 
Adriano
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004
Hi,
I have just enabled Windows firewall but when I open every software
and I go online the firewall doesn't ask any permission.
Perhaps does it work for default so? That is for default it does not
ask permission?
thanks

bye Adriano
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
HonestJohn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004

"Adriano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have just enabled Windows firewall but when I open every
> software
> and I go online the firewall doesn't ask any permission.
> Perhaps does it work for default so? That is for default it does
> not
> ask permission?
> thanks
>
> bye Adriano


It should be enabled by default, it also starts earlier during the
boot-up process and remains on longer, whilst the PC is shutting
down to provide extra protection. There are a lot of additional
configuration options too and as soon as SP2 is installed you
should be faced with a stream of pop-up boxes asking permission
for various applications to use the Internet. However, ICF still
doesn't block outgoing connections, which means you may still be
better off using a commercial Firewall or one of the freeware
offerings like Zone Alarm, Outpost or Sygate.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
HonestJohn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004

"HonestJohn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newskk3d.299$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Adriano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> I have just enabled Windows firewall but when I open every
>> software
>> and I go online the firewall doesn't ask any permission.
>> Perhaps does it work for default so? That is for default it
>> does not
>> ask permission?
>> thanks
>>
>> bye Adriano

>
> It should be enabled by default, it also starts earlier during
> the boot-up process and remains on longer, whilst the PC is
> shutting down to provide extra protection. There are a lot of
> additional configuration options too and as soon as SP2 is
> installed you should be faced with a stream of pop-up boxes
> asking permission for various applications to use the Internet.
> However, ICF still doesn't block outgoing connections, which
> means you may still be better off using a commercial Firewall or
> one of the freeware offerings like Zone Alarm, Outpost or
> Sygate.

SP2, that is!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lloyd Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004
You've got SP2 installed "HonestJohn"

Experienced any problems your self??

LJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
HonestJohn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004

"Lloyd Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You've got SP2 installed "HonestJohn"
>
> Experienced any problems your self??
>
> LJ

None at all, LJ... but give it time!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004

"Adriano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have just enabled Windows firewall but when I open every software
> and I go online the firewall doesn't ask any permission.
> Perhaps does it work for default so? That is for default it does not
> ask permission?
> thanks


Windows firewall does not monitor all outbound connections. It will not ask
permission for all programs that try and access the net. It will however,
ask if you want to continue blocking some programs that try and use ports
that are already blocked by default. That is the extent of it's outbound
connection monitoring, if you can call it that. If you want full
inbound/outbound connection monitoring, then you will need to use a 3rd
party firewall program like Zonealarm, Kerio, BlackIce, etc.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lloyd Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004
I've had it installed about a month now HonestJohn and am happy with it.

I don't know what all the hype is about it. Most of the people who post
don't even have it installed.

I know some have problems with it because a couple of my friends have. I
don't know if it's because they have old computers or just the software they
use.

I have run:

Windows XP Pro - SP2 Installed.

2Ghz Processor.

80 Gb HD.

512 Ram.

If anyone has a more modern comp than me and has problems with SP2 I'll be
interested to heard from you. Also it depends on which progs you use,
Firewalls, Antivirus etc.

LJ


 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2004
Adriano wrote:
>
> I have just enabled Windows firewall but when I open every software
> and I go online the firewall doesn't ask any permission.
> Perhaps does it work for default so? That is for default it does not
> ask permission?


XP firewall is a standard firewall. Permissions are asked for outgoing
transmissions which XP firewall doesn't do.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Firewall vs Nvidia Firewall =?Utf-8?B?U3dhbm5pZQ==?= Windows 64bit 11 11-24-2005 12:59 PM
compatibility windows XP firewall and Norton systemworks firewall Guy Pzt Computer Support 0 10-01-2005 08:58 AM
Re: Windows firewall (SP2), I look for info. Adriano Computer Information 2 09-19-2004 10:53 PM
Windows XP Firewall/Internet Connection Firewall Anonymous Computer Support 2 12-01-2003 01:27 AM
<tr> with a 1x1 image as a filler on a table with padding of 2 look thicker in netscape but they look ok in IE. Serial # 19781010 HTML 1 08-10-2003 09:05 PM



Advertisments