Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Networking

Reply
Thread Tools

Networking

 
 
EnJay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004
Hello

I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can someone
please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I can
use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives). Perhaps I
can put them both into the newer computer?
TIA


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Beachcomber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:05:54 +0100, "EnJay" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello
>
>I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can someone
>please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I can
>use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives). Perhaps I
>can put them both into the newer computer?
>TIA
>
>

Assuming you are talking PC's here, there are a few variations
possible, but this is the basic procedure:

Do both computers have (NIC) Network Interface Cards? Newer
computers have them built in and for older computers, you would need
to make sure it was intalled in one of the slots. For both
computers, you would need to make sure the proper drivers are
installed for networking, as well.

Again, assuming PC's, you will want to connect the two computers using
a straight-through Category 5 cable with RJ-45 connectors at each end.
This is available at any computer store. Looks like a modular
telephone connector except it has 8 pins at each end instead of 4.

Next, you would need to right click on your Network Neighborhood Icon
and set your Microsoft Networking Protocol or at least check a whole
bunch of settings that are too long to list here, but basically, you
are going to be assigning each computer a unique IP address. (Win XP
procedures are slightly different). At this point, If you have a
cable/router switch, it may be easier to plug each computer into the
router and let dynamic addressing assign these settings. Otherwise,
you will have to do it manually.

Next, test your network. Go to the DOS prompt and type PING
xx.xx.xx.xx with the xx.xx.xx.xx representing the IP address of the
"other" computer. If you get a response, good! It means your
network is working. If not, you may need to fiddle with your network
settings, make sure the proper network drivers are installed, and
lastly check the cable to make sure it is a straight-through cable
(identical 1-1 pin correspondence at each end).

Right Click on the C: hard disk for each computer using the built in
Windows Explorer program. Turn on file sharing for that drive. You
may asked to be assign passwords. When set up correctly you should be
able to double click on the Network Neighborhood icon or the My
Network Places icon (for Win XP) and see the drive on the other
computer. Congratulations, your network is working!

To copy files, it is basically drag and drop.

Beachcomber


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004

"EnJay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cikaoq$b2i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can someone
> please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I
> can
> use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives). Perhaps
> I
> can put them both into the newer computer?
> TIA


Well you could network them, but if you just want the old drives as storage,
why don't you just buy an external harddrive kit with a USB 2.0 interface?
Then you just take the drives out of the old machine, install them into the
external enclosures, and plug them into the USB 2.0 ports of your new
computer. Much faster throughput than over a LAN, and you don't need to have
two complete computer systems running just for storage purposes. Whether you
can install the old drives in the new computer depends on what you already
have in the new computer. You say they each have two drives? If that's the
case, you may not have enough internal connections left in the new machine,
once a CDROM, or CDRW, or DVD drive is factored in. You *might* only have
one remaining IDE connection inside, if at all. You could buy an additional
IDE interface card to connect a couple more drives in that case, but I think
the external enclosure kits would be a better solution, and they are
portable.


 
Reply With Quote
 
EnJay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004

"Beachcomber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:05:54 +0100, "EnJay" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello
> >
> >I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can

someone
> >please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I

can
> >use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives).

Perhaps I
> >can put them both into the newer computer?
> >TIA
> >
> >

> Assuming you are talking PC's here, there are a few variations
> possible, but this is the basic procedure:
>
> Do both computers have (NIC) Network Interface Cards? Newer
> computers have them built in and for older computers, you would need
> to make sure it was intalled in one of the slots. For both
> computers, you would need to make sure the proper drivers are
> installed for networking, as well.
>
> Again, assuming PC's, you will want to connect the two computers using
> a straight-through Category 5 cable with RJ-45 connectors at each end.
> This is available at any computer store. Looks like a modular
> telephone connector except it has 8 pins at each end instead of 4.
>
> Next, you would need to right click on your Network Neighborhood Icon
> and set your Microsoft Networking Protocol or at least check a whole
> bunch of settings that are too long to list here, but basically, you
> are going to be assigning each computer a unique IP address. (Win XP
> procedures are slightly different). At this point, If you have a
> cable/router switch, it may be easier to plug each computer into the
> router and let dynamic addressing assign these settings. Otherwise,
> you will have to do it manually.
>
> Next, test your network. Go to the DOS prompt and type PING
> xx.xx.xx.xx with the xx.xx.xx.xx representing the IP address of the
> "other" computer. If you get a response, good! It means your
> network is working. If not, you may need to fiddle with your network
> settings, make sure the proper network drivers are installed, and
> lastly check the cable to make sure it is a straight-through cable
> (identical 1-1 pin correspondence at each end).
>
> Right Click on the C: hard disk for each computer using the built in
> Windows Explorer program. Turn on file sharing for that drive. You
> may asked to be assign passwords. When set up correctly you should be
> able to double click on the Network Neighborhood icon or the My
> Network Places icon (for Win XP) and see the drive on the other
> computer. Congratulations, your network is working!
>
> To copy files, it is basically drag and drop.
>
> Beachcomber
>
>

'kin 'ell! Thanks for that. Well that's scared 10 buckets of crap out of me!
Something to think about though.
I appreciate your help and advice.
N


 
Reply With Quote
 
EnJay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-19-2004

"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "EnJay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cikaoq$b2i$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> >
> > I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can

someone
> > please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I
> > can
> > use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives).

Perhaps
> > I
> > can put them both into the newer computer?
> > TIA

>
> Well you could network them, but if you just want the old drives as

storage,
> why don't you just buy an external harddrive kit with a USB 2.0 interface?
> Then you just take the drives out of the old machine, install them into

the
> external enclosures, and plug them into the USB 2.0 ports of your new
> computer. Much faster throughput than over a LAN, and you don't need to

have
> two complete computer systems running just for storage purposes. Whether

you
> can install the old drives in the new computer depends on what you already
> have in the new computer. You say they each have two drives? If that's the
> case, you may not have enough internal connections left in the new

machine,
> once a CDROM, or CDRW, or DVD drive is factored in. You *might* only have
> one remaining IDE connection inside, if at all. You could buy an

additional
> IDE interface card to connect a couple more drives in that case, but I

think
> the external enclosure kits would be a better solution, and they are
> portable.
>
>

I think I prefer this method to Beachcombers method. I kno,w I did ask about
networking, little did I think it was going to be that heavy going. As you
pointed out, do I really need 2 machines running just for storage?
Thanks for your help and advice.
N


 
Reply With Quote
 
Beachcomber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2004
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 20:52:00 +0100, "EnJay" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "EnJay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:cikaoq$b2i$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can

>someone
>> > please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I
>> > can
>> > use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives).

>Perhaps
>> > I
>> > can put them both into the newer computer?
>> > TIA

>>
>> Well you could network them, but if you just want the old drives as

>storage,
>> why don't you just buy an external harddrive kit with a USB 2.0 interface?
>> Then you just take the drives out of the old machine, install them into

>the
>> external enclosures, and plug them into the USB 2.0 ports of your new
>> computer. Much faster throughput than over a LAN, and you don't need to

>have
>> two complete computer systems running just for storage purposes. Whether

>you
>> can install the old drives in the new computer depends on what you already
>> have in the new computer. You say they each have two drives? If that's the
>> case, you may not have enough internal connections left in the new

>machine,
>> once a CDROM, or CDRW, or DVD drive is factored in. You *might* only have
>> one remaining IDE connection inside, if at all. You could buy an

>additional
>> IDE interface card to connect a couple more drives in that case, but I

>think
>> the external enclosure kits would be a better solution, and they are
>> portable.
>>
>>

>I think I prefer this method to Beachcombers method. I kno,w I did ask about
>networking, little did I think it was going to be that heavy going. As you
>pointed out, do I really need 2 machines running just for storage?
>Thanks for your help and advice.
>N
>


Didn't mean to scare you. Actually networking is pretty easy once
you get going.

The hardest part with older computers is really making sure that you
have everything you need. This would include installing a compatible
Network Interface Card, finding and loading the correct drivers, and
then doing the settings in Network Neighborhood Properties. This
would be for WIN98 or WIN2000 NT.

If you have WIN XP, it's actually easier. Many of the drivers and
settings are preset for (almost) plug-and-play networking. As I said,
if you connect to a router switch like a cable modem, it is easier
still.

Beachcomber



 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2004
EnJay wrote:
>
> I have 2 computers, one fairly old and the other 6 months old. Can someone
> please offer me some advice regarding networking them together so that I can
> use the 2 hard drives for storage. (Both computers have 2 drives). Perhaps I
> can put them both into the newer computer?


http://www.wown1.com/
http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/homenetworking/
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/winxpnetworking/
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936


 
Reply With Quote
 
EnJay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-20-2004


> >>

> >I think I prefer this method to Beachcombers method. I kno,w I did ask

about
> >networking, little did I think it was going to be that heavy going. As

you
> >pointed out, do I really need 2 machines running just for storage?
> >Thanks for your help and advice.
> >N
> >

>
> Didn't mean to scare you. Actually networking is pretty easy once
> you get going.
>
> The hardest part with older computers is really making sure that you
> have everything you need. This would include installing a compatible
> Network Interface Card, finding and loading the correct drivers, and
> then doing the settings in Network Neighborhood Properties. This
> would be for WIN98 or WIN2000 NT.
>
> If you have WIN XP, it's actually easier. Many of the drivers and
> settings are preset for (almost) plug-and-play networking. As I said,
> if you connect to a router switch like a cable modem, it is easier
> still.
>
> Beachcomber
>

I do have XP so it sounds easier. Thing is, I am not eally hardware
confident. I do have 2 ways to go at least and I do know that the other
system is fully functional. All I need to do is F disk both drives.
Thanks for all the info and 2 sensible replies. Thanks
N


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet networking , group networking,business leads,new business opportunities,like having many sales peoples elie Computer Support 0 08-18-2007 10:12 AM
networking two pc together with wireless networking ? Andy Wireless Networking 4 02-26-2007 06:02 PM
PROBLEMS WITH NETWORKING - NEW TO NETWORKING =?Utf-8?B?QUJTUE9QVVA=?= Wireless Networking 2 03-23-2005 08:31 AM
[Reminder] Online chat with Networking & Devices VP about Networking in Longhorn Eddy Malik [MSFT] Wireless Networking 0 03-22-2005 03:27 AM
networking 2 pc with a networking hub and 1 internet connection barry crowley Computer Support 20 02-27-2004 05:09 AM



Advertisments