Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Remote Home Security & Surveillance

Remote Home Security & Surveillance

John

Remote Home Security & Surveillance

Hello.

I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
internet from a webcam in my home, for security.

I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
home.

I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).

Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?

I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
it possible to have more than one?

I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
the whole time I was away?

Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
phone as well?

Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
or getting a product that needs avoiding?

I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.

Cheers very much for any help

John

My System:
Win Xp Pro, Ati 9600 Aiw, AMD Barton 2500, 1GB Memory, 168GB/3 HDDs.

Leythos

says...
> Remote Home Security & Surveillance
>
> Hello.
>
> I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
> internet from a webcam in my home, for security.
>
> I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
> in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
> home.
>
> I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
> a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
> VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).
>
> Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
> Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
> just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
> purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?
>
> I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
> to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
> it possible to have more than one?
>
> I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
> don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
> the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
> the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
> is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
> the whole time I was away?
>
> Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
> phone as well?
>
> Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
> above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
> or getting a product that needs avoiding?
>
> I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
> really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.
>
> Cheers very much for any help

Checkout the X10 stuff, I know people using it to watch their homes and
kids while at work.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

BruceR

Don't use any of the X10 stuff that purports to do this - it's all junk.
What you want is a video server/DVR. Search ebay for "video server" for
lot's of options. I currently use a Sanyo unit that I picked up on
ebay. It supports 4 cameras and has a built in motion detector and has a
video loop out to a VCR or monitor. You can use your existing cameras.
It records to a Compact Flash card and can send emails when motion is
detected on any camera. It plugs into my router and is accessible over
the internet.
The CF card has limited capacity and is slow so I just ordered a new
unit that does all the same things but has a hard drive instead of the
CF card. I haven't received it yet so I can't tell you how I like it.
While you could buy a card for your PC that does the same thing, the
beauty of these units is that they don't use a PC at all, don't rely on
Windows, and you can leave it off when you're away. That being said, you
could use an older PC that may be in the closet, add the video server
card which you can find on ebay cheap, and save some money.
The Sanyo unit is rock solid and their customer service is superb.
However, given that the price for the unit I just bought with the hard
drive is less than the Sanyo and other similar units you should check it
out at:
http://tinyurl.com/4xvnq

From:John
(E-Mail Removed)

> Remote Home Security & Surveillance
>
> Hello.
>
> I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
> internet from a webcam in my home, for security.
>
> I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
> in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
> home.
>
> I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
> a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
> VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).
>
> Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
> Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
> just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
> purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?
>
> I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
> to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
> it possible to have more than one?
>
> I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
> don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
> the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
> the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
> is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
> the whole time I was away?
>
> Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
> phone as well?
>
> Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
> above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
> or getting a product that needs avoiding?
>
> I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
> really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.
>
> Cheers very much for any help
>
> John
>
> My System:
> Win Xp Pro, Ati 9600 Aiw, AMD Barton 2500, 1GB Memory, 168GB/3 HDDs.

Si Ballenger

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:51:26 +0100, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Remote Home Security & Surveillance
>
>Hello.
>
>I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
>internet from a webcam in my home, for security.
>
>I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
>in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
>home.
>
>I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
>a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
>VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).
>
>Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
>Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
>just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
>purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?
>
>I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
>to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
>it possible to have more than one?
>
>I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
>don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
>the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
>the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
>is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
>the whole time I was away?
>
>Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
>phone as well?
>
>Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
>above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
>or getting a product that needs avoiding?
>
>I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
>really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.
>
>Cheers very much for any help

You can use your wired cam with a capture card in your computer
to do some of what you want. I've got a page below that shows a
simple setup for a webcam that can capture pix to the hard drive.
If you don't want to use a computer, then you should check into
the new IP cams.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webcamsetup.htm

Stephen Howard

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:03:28 GMT, shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si
Ballenger) wrote:

>You can use your wired cam with a capture card in your computer
>to do some of what you want. I've got a page below that shows a
>simple setup for a webcam that can capture pix to the hard drive.
>If you don't want to use a computer, then you should check into
>the new IP cams.
>
>http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webcamsetup.htm

Nice stuff..will have a decent look later.

In the meantime, I can recommend a freeware cam app called Pryme -
which features motion detection and ftp capabilities.
Don't know if it's what's required - but might be worth a look.
It's widely available out there.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Bob

Checkout this little application: http://www.supervisioncam.com/

Some of the features:
FTP images
Email images
Motion detection
Scheduling
Can monitor multiple cameras
Video, stills and audio capture (all at the same time if you want)
External trigger can be used to start recording (via joystick port)
Run programs or audio file when motion detected
Use cheap wbcams and/or analogue camera with capture card

And all of this works in the free version (you just get a name stamp on the
capture images).

If anyone knows of something better please post here.

Bob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Remote Home Security & Surveillance
>
> Hello.
>
> I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
> internet from a webcam in my home, for security.
>
> I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
> in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
> home.
>
> I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
> a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
> VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).
>
> Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
> Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
> just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
> purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?
>
> I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
> to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
> it possible to have more than one?
>
> I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
> don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
> the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
> the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
> is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
> the whole time I was away?
>
> Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
> phone as well?
>
> Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
> above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
> or getting a product that needs avoiding?
>
> I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
> really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.
>
> Cheers very much for any help
>
> John
>
> My System:
> Win Xp Pro, Ati 9600 Aiw, AMD Barton 2500, 1GB Memory, 168GB/3 HDDs.

Rossco in Oshawa

Maybe not quite as flexible but I use this one at my home... thanks for the
other link none-the-less!

http://www.visiongs.com/

I currently use VisionGS PE V1.21, not the most recent version.

news:MB73d.134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Checkout this little application: http://www.supervisioncam.com/
>
> Some of the features:
> FTP images
> Email images
> Motion detection
> Scheduling
> Can monitor multiple cameras
> Video, stills and audio capture (all at the same time if you want)
> External trigger can be used to start recording (via joystick port)
> Run programs or audio file when motion detected
> Use cheap wbcams and/or analogue camera with capture card
>
> And all of this works in the free version (you just get a name stamp on

the
> capture images).
>
> If anyone knows of something better please post here.
>
> Bob

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Remote Home Security & Surveillance
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
> > internet from a webcam in my home, for security.
> >
> > I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
> > in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
> > home.
> >
> > I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
> > a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
> > VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).
> >
> > Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
> > Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
> > just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
> > purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?
> >
> > I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
> > to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
> > it possible to have more than one?
> >
> > I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
> > don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
> > the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
> > the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
> > is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
> > the whole time I was away?
> >
> > Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
> > phone as well?
> >
> > Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
> > above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
> > or getting a product that needs avoiding?
> >
> > I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
> > really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.
> >
> > Cheers very much for any help
> >
> > John
> >
> > My System:
> > Win Xp Pro, Ati 9600 Aiw, AMD Barton 2500, 1GB Memory, 168GB/3 HDDs.

Eagletron

Our CamPanel oftware should do most of what you need:

http://www.trackercam.com/campanel

Currently it works only with wired cameras and also you DO need to
keep your home computer on - a webcam works only while a computer is
on. However, you can tell the software to upload images to an ftp site
when motion is detected.

Hope this helps.

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Remote Home Security & Surveillance
>
> Hello.
>
> I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
> internet from a webcam in my home, for security.
>
> I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
> in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
> home.
>
> I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
> a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
> VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).
>
> Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
> Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
> just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
> purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?
>
> I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
> to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
> it possible to have more than one?
>
> I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
> don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
> the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
> the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
> is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
> the whole time I was away?
>
> Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
> phone as well?
>
> Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
> above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
> or getting a product that needs avoiding?
>
> I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
> really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.
>
> Cheers very much for any help
>
> John
>
> My System:
> Win Xp Pro, Ati 9600 Aiw, AMD Barton 2500, 1GB Memory, 168GB/3 HDDs.

John

I think I'm looking for a Video server so I don't have to have my
system on all the time. I often spend a lot of weeks out of the UK,
so it isn't good to leave the system switched on. Also, if there is a
power cut there is no way to get the system back up and running when
I'm not there.

I think I'm just going to try and find a cheapish video server for 2
or 4 cameras.

Cheers

John

Elza Dontcheva

Greetings John - You might want to check out the following demo sites and I
can help you further if they are of any interest to you.
http://43.244.37.129 , http://66.0.165.110

Regards,

Kevin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Remote Home Security & Surveillance
>
> Hello.
>
> I am interested in having the ability to capture motion stills to the
> internet from a webcam in my home, for security.
>
> I am also interested in being able to go on the internet from anywhere
> in the world and connect to the webcam and see what's happening in my
> home.
>
> I currently have one regular security camera that I bought which isn't
> a webcam type, but is the type that connects to a VCR and tells the
> VCR when to start and stop recording (when it detects motion).
>
> Can I use this camera also for the internet captures and remote
> Surveillance? That one I have is actually a wired camera, but I was
> just interested if I could also connect it to my system for that
> purpose, besides, or in addition to it being connected to a VCR?
>
> I would like to have a small wireless webcam in one room in my house
> to start with, and to then expand the system to have more later. Is
> it possible to have more than one?
>
> I also, wondered whether it was possible to have a set up where I
> don't actually need to have my home computer system switched on for
> the cameras to work? Is it possible for the camera to work without
> the computer being on, and to capture from them to the web when motion
> is detected, and to dial into them? Or would the system need to be on
> the whole time I was away?
>
> Is there also anything that can send a text message alert to a mobile
> phone as well?
>
> Finally, what things should I be looking at in order to do any of the
> above (if possible) at the lowest cost, without sacrificing quality,
> or getting a product that needs avoiding?
>
> I have not researched into this sort of stuff for a while so all I
> really know a tiny bit about is the X10 stuff.
>
> Cheers very much for any help
>
> John
>
> My System:
> Win Xp Pro, Ati 9600 Aiw, AMD Barton 2500, 1GB Memory, 168GB/3 HDDs.

Looking for PC based home surveillance system Daniel Computer Support 6 04-14-2005 01:21 PM
program surveillance Anto Java 13 10-08-2004 06:19 AM
program surveillance Anto ASP .Net 2 10-06-2004 03:33 PM
program surveillance Anto ASP .Net 0 10-06-2004 09:56 AM
Remote Home Security & Surveillance John Computer Security 11 09-24-2004 09:46 PM

Advertisments