Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Roxio 7

Roxio 7

bmoag

I can not get the Drag to Disc feature of this software to work: with two
different CD-r drives and using different brands of CDs every CD is ruined
and rendered unusable in the act of formatting. I installed SP2 but this
made no difference because the problem existed before SP2. The other
applications in the suite will create CD-Rs but if one wants to add files
later one is subject to Drag to Disc again which usually will say the CD is
unwritable--however it is writable using different software. The upgrade on
the Roxio site actually worsened the problem.

It would be nice to contact Roxio. However to get technical support you have
to have a TSID. The web site refuses to recognize the TSID printed on the
sleeve of the CD (purchased at Costco) and the website does not stably
recognize the sign in and password you are forced to create.

Clearly I would not recommend anyone purchase this product if you are in the
market for CD/DVD authoring software.

bmoag

Well, I found out what the problem is but I don't know if it is XP or Roxio
that has caused corruption in the basic way XP sees the drives. The CDRW and
DVDRW drives on this computer are both atapi but are seen under device
manager as SCSI drives. Hence burns are initiated but generally do not
complete because of miscommunication with the device: the program is looking
for a scsi drive but only finds atapi (transient warning boxes flash this
info about miscommunication with a scsi drive). For some reason burn at once
CDRs usually work but nothing with packet writing or partial sessions.

Unfortunately deleting the drives under device manager and rebooting does
not solve the problem because WinXP again sees the drives as SCSI rather
than atapi.I have checked on the three other machins around here with CD or
DVD burners and all list their burners correctly as atapi under device
manager.

Short of reformatting and reinstalling WinXP, and again begging an
outsourced support tech in India for an activation key for my completely
valid used only on this machine ever copy of XP, is there a solution?

Thor

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JD92d.21616$(E-Mail Removed). com...

> Well, I found out what the problem is but I don't know if it is XP or

Roxio
> that has caused corruption in the basic way XP sees the drives. The CDRW

and
> DVDRW drives on this computer are both atapi but are seen under device
> manager as SCSI drives. Hence burns are initiated but generally do not
> complete because of miscommunication with the device: the program is

looking
> for a scsi drive but only finds atapi (transient warning boxes flash this
> info about miscommunication with a scsi drive). For some reason burn at

once
> CDRs usually work but nothing with packet writing or partial sessions.
>
> Unfortunately deleting the drives under device manager and rebooting does
> not solve the problem because WinXP again sees the drives as SCSI rather
> than atapi.I have checked on the three other machins around here with CD

or
> DVD burners and all list their burners correctly as atapi under device
> manager.
>
> Short of reformatting and reinstalling WinXP, and again begging an
> outsourced support tech in India for an activation key for my completely
> valid used only on this machine ever copy of XP, is there a solution?

try updating the motherboard chipset drivers. Additionally, you should
really use CDRW discs for packet writing. At the very least, if the disc
gets corrupted, a simple full erase will set it back to rights again.

bmoag

You were on the right track.

Actually I had to uninstall the Nvidia IDE controller, The standard XP IDE
controller drivers identify the CD and DVD recorders correctly as ATAPI
drives. Curiously on a motherboard from another manufacturer using the
NVidia same chipset drivers ATAPI cd/dvd devices are correct;y identified.