Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > PC Restarting?!?

PC Restarting?!?

Matthew J

hi all,

my dad has an AMD Duron 1100 ASUS A7V8X-SE, 256 MB RAM, 40Gb seagate
HDD

i know the ram has errors/faults in it. and you Can use the computer
for sometimes 5 minutes and other times for about 4 hrs, and then it
will just automatically restart!

i have reinstalled windows and it does it again, it does it on both
Windows 2K Professional and Windows XP Professional!

not sure what the problem is, could the processor cache be causing it,
if it had a problem, as i am not entirely confident about the
processors quality, but just wondering if the ram although faulty
could cause it, if i buy new ram i would like it to know that it would
fix it.

thanks in advance

matt

Thor

"Matthew J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> hi all,
>
> my dad has an AMD Duron 1100 ASUS A7V8X-SE, 256 MB RAM, 40Gb seagate
> HDD
>
> i know the ram has errors/faults in it. and you Can use the computer
> for sometimes 5 minutes and other times for about 4 hrs, and then it
> will just automatically restart!
>
> i have reinstalled windows and it does it again, it does it on both
> Windows 2K Professional and Windows XP Professional!
>
> not sure what the problem is, could the processor cache be causing it,
> if it had a problem, as i am not entirely confident about the
> processors quality, but just wondering if the ram although faulty
> could cause it, if i buy new ram i would like it to know that it would
> fix it.

You acknowledge that the RAM has faults, but wonder if that could cause the
crashing? The answer is HELL YES! The integrity of the RAM is absolutely
crucial to stable operation. Additionally, you do not elaborate how you
*know* the RAM is faulty. How did you arrive at this conclusion? I ask,
because the problems you are encountering can have other causes. But, if you
are certain that the RAM is faulty though, that would clearly be the FIRST
thing to fix in the quest to solve these issues.

km

On 15 Sep 2004 20:22:53 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Matthew J)
wrote:

>hi all,
>
>my dad has an AMD Duron 1100 ASUS A7V8X-SE, 256 MB RAM, 40Gb seagate
>HDD
>
>i know the ram has errors/faults in it. and you Can use the computer
>for sometimes 5 minutes and other times for about 4 hrs, and then it
>will just automatically restart!
>
>i have reinstalled windows and it does it again, it does it on both
>Windows 2K Professional and Windows XP Professional!
>
>not sure what the problem is, could the processor cache be causing it,
>if it had a problem, as i am not entirely confident about the
>processors quality, but just wondering if the ram although faulty
>could cause it, if i buy new ram i would like it to know that it would
>fix it.
>
>thanks in advance
>
>matt

Are you sure the RAM is faulty. From my experience the installation of
WinXP would be a problem if the memory was faulty A classic symptom
being that the installation says it cannot read files when they are
being copied from the CD during the early part of installation.

The turning off randomly sounds like a Power Supply problem. If it
isn't up to the job it may be triggering restart when the processor
comes under pressure and heats up when running power hungry software.

KM