Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > pppoe setup with a simple 1602R

Reply
Thread Tools

pppoe setup with a simple 1602R

 
 
Ghazan Haider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2003
I have a 1602 R router with a BRI WIC installed. The 1602 comes with
one ethernet port and a 56k CSU/DSU serial port. I have the 12.1T IOS
which allows pppoe.

My ISP requires pppoe connections, and I can set that up, but both the
BRI port and the fractional T1 ports are simply too slow for real
usage. I have 6 other 2500 routers none of which allows pppoe
connections, but I can connect them via serial, T1 or the BRI port.

So my question is, can I bypass the CSU/DSU on the 1602 and clock its
serial port to 2 or 4 MHz like I can on the 2500 routers?

Secondly, is it reasonable to connect the DSL modem, 1602 and other
computers to the same hub, and use IP aliasing to make two virtual
interfaces of the ethernet on the 1602? One would be used for the
pppoe, the other will provide routing interface for the rest of the
hosts? I dont know if thats gonna work with pppoe and the overhead
costs involved. DSL traffic is capped at 1.5mbit so that shouldnt tax
the 68k CPU on the 1602.

If I were to buy a WIC for the 1602 to improve this situation, should
I get a serial WIC or a full T1? Whats the fastest interface WIC for
the 1602 that doesnt kill its cpu?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PES
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-27-2003
> I have a 1602 R router with a BRI WIC installed. The 1602 comes with
> one ethernet port and a 56k CSU/DSU serial port. I have the 12.1T IOS
> which allows pppoe.
>
> My ISP requires pppoe connections, and I can set that up, but both the
> BRI port and the fractional T1 ports are simply too slow for real
> usage. I have 6 other 2500 routers none of which allows pppoe
> connections, but I can connect them via serial, T1 or the BRI port.
>
> So my question is, can I bypass the CSU/DSU on the 1602 and clock its
> serial port to 2 or 4 MHz like I can on the 2500 routers?


I don't have an answer for this, but you will be introducing another point
of failure. If you don't need any advanced feature, why not just get a
cheap broadband router. Otherwise, I would get a 1605r, 1701, 1721 (and
wic-1enet). Or you could build a Linux firewall/router.

> Secondly, is it reasonable to connect the DSL modem, 1602 and other
> computers to the same hub, and use IP aliasing to make two virtual
> interfaces of the ethernet on the 1602? One would be used for the
> pppoe, the other will provide routing interface for the rest of the
> hosts? I dont know if thats gonna work with pppoe and the overhead
> costs involved. DSL traffic is capped at 1.5mbit so that shouldnt tax
> the 68k CPU on the 1602.


I doubt it would work. I would recommend getting equipment better suited.

> If I were to buy a WIC for the 1602 to improve this situation, should
> I get a serial WIC or a full T1? Whats the fastest interface WIC for
> the 1602 that doesnt kill its cpu?


I think you would basically be spending money on what in the end would not
be a clean solution. Again, I would get equipment better suited, unless you
are just wanting to learn (or play).


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cisco 3640 128D/16F PPPOE problem (cannot create pppoe protocol) lga775 Hardware 1 02-18-2010 10:16 AM
1602R w/ both Watchguard and Netgear results in incomplete MAC address rkudyba@gmail.com Cisco 0 07-20-2006 01:34 PM
Windows XP Setup Restarts the Setup Program =?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIxNjU=?= Windows 64bit 21 12-14-2005 04:27 AM
Cisco pppoe client can connect multiple pppoe sessions John Nordien Cisco 0 11-22-2004 09:11 PM
ReQ; Help having problem with cisco router 1602R the Lan part works cannot log on to configure so PC can access internet, router connects to T1 line thier is an alarm light on anyone can help smokin@aol.com Computer Support 4 10-30-2004 06:06 AM



Advertisments