Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Advantages/Disadvantages of SATA Hard Drives?

Advantages/Disadvantages of SATA Hard Drives?

JTJersey

I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital 10,000rpm Serial ATA drive to
take advantage of the speed increase. The Mainboard I'm looking at
supports the SATA drive, but I've no experience with these units. Is
anyone running one and are they worth the effort?
Thanks.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

Jim Berwick

JTJersey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d%n0d.88945$pQ4.72399
@fe06.usenetserver.com:

> I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital 10,000rpm Serial ATA drive to
> take advantage of the speed increase. The Mainboard I'm looking at
> supports the SATA drive, but I've no experience with these units. Is
> anyone running one and are they worth the effort?

Generally no drives can take advantage of the extra bandwith offered by
SATA over ATA133. But the drive you have there is still a nice one, and
will perform great.

VWWall

JTJersey wrote:

> I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital 10,000rpm Serial ATA drive to
> take advantage of the speed increase. The Mainboard I'm looking at
> supports the SATA drive, but I've no experience with these units. Is
> anyone running one and are they worth the effort?

The advantage is due to the 10,000rpm rather than the SATA
configuration. The thinner cables and no jumpers to set are also
advantages. You won't get near the 150GB SATA thru-put however.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Thor

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> JTJersey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d%n0d.88945$pQ4.72399
> @fe06.usenetserver.com:
>
> > I'm thinking of getting a Western Digital 10,000rpm Serial ATA drive to
> > take advantage of the speed increase. The Mainboard I'm looking at
> > supports the SATA drive, but I've no experience with these units. Is
> > anyone running one and are they worth the effort?

> Generally no drives can take advantage of the extra bandwith offered by
> SATA over ATA133. But the drive you have there is still a nice one, and
> will perform great.

If the SATA drive supports native command queuing (as many are now beginning
to), that can be a distinct advantage.