Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > can't connect to some sites

can't connect to some sites

tempus fugit

Hey all;

I have recently installed Windows 2K (from 98SE) and ever since I've been
having problems connecting to certain web sites. For instance, I can't bet
to microsoft.com, or mcafee.com. Sounds kind of like a DoS worm, but my
antivirus software doesn't find anything (although it did earlier and I got
rid of the files). The other odd thing is I can't hit a few sites that you
wouldn't think a worm would care about, like ebay.com, or www.matercare.org,
or napster.ca (which I think is only a few days old.
Another interesting thing: I had this problem after the 1st install I did of
Windows 2K. Rather than screw with it, I just reformatted and reinstalled.
After the reinstall I installed my mobo drivers, them modem drivers, and
tried microsoft.com right away, and it wouldn't connect.

Any ideas what's going on here?

Thanks

Wizard

This may be as simple as cookie settings. M$'s site must put cookies on
or you can't get in.

tempus fugit wrote:

> Hey all;
>
> I have recently installed Windows 2K (from 98SE) and ever since I've been
> having problems connecting to certain web sites. For instance, I can't bet
> to microsoft.com, or mcafee.com. Sounds kind of like a DoS worm, but my
> antivirus software doesn't find anything (although it did earlier and I got
> rid of the files). The other odd thing is I can't hit a few sites that you
> wouldn't think a worm would care about, like ebay.com, or www.matercare.org,
> or napster.ca (which I think is only a few days old.
> Another interesting thing: I had this problem after the 1st install I did of
> Windows 2K. Rather than screw with it, I just reformatted and reinstalled.
> After the reinstall I installed my mobo drivers, them modem drivers, and
> tried microsoft.com right away, and it wouldn't connect.
>
> Any ideas what's going on here?
>
> Thanks

tempus fugit

Thanks for the reply Wiz.
Tried enabling cookies - still a nogo.

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This may be as simple as cookie settings. M$'s site must put cookies on
> or you can't get in.
>
> tempus fugit wrote:
> >
> > Hey all;
> >
> > I have recently installed Windows 2K (from 98SE) and ever since I've

been
> > having problems connecting to certain web sites. For instance, I can't

bet
> > to microsoft.com, or mcafee.com. Sounds kind of like a DoS worm, but my
> > antivirus software doesn't find anything (although it did earlier and I

got
> > rid of the files). The other odd thing is I can't hit a few sites that

you
> > wouldn't think a worm would care about, like ebay.com, or

www.matercare.org,
> > or napster.ca (which I think is only a few days old.
> > Another interesting thing: I had this problem after the 1st install I

did of
> > Windows 2K. Rather than screw with it, I just reformatted and

reinstalled.
> > After the reinstall I installed my mobo drivers, them modem drivers, and
> > tried microsoft.com right away, and it wouldn't connect.
> >
> > Any ideas what's going on here?
> >
> > Thanks

Some sites ok, some not on wireless ....... Nondisclosure007 Wireless Networking 1 06-22-2009 08:29 AM
Sites about web-sites ? Jasbird HTML 1 09-28-2006 06:21 PM
How do prevent sites to be loaded in other sites frames? Stefan Caliandro HTML 2 02-14-2005 06:05 PM
update:can't connect to some sites Chris Rupert Computer Information 0 09-13-2004 01:44 AM
ISO: Web sites for images (pay sites preferred) Kevin Buchan ASP .Net 1 02-20-2004 09:34 AM

Advertisments