Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Site-to-Site VPN with PIX 506E

Site-to-Site VPN with PIX 506E

Lou Chorich

I'd appreciate advice from the group regarding setup of a site-to-site VPN
using a Cisco Secure PIX 506E Firewall. I'm considering the purchase of two
of these firewalls to help my small company set up a secure connection
between two offices. I have a programming background, but this type of work
is new to me.

I would like to link two office locations together for the purpose of
transferring some files back and forth between two Dell PowerVault NAS (one
at each location). Each site has a fixed IP address.

I read the documentation from Cisco's web site, and the configuration of the
firewalls seems straightforward. However, I've never used a site-to-site
VPN before.

My question: Once the site-to-site VPN connection is established, can I
simply map a network drive to the IP address of the remote system and expect
the PIX boxes to transmit the data via the VPN? Could it really be that
easy or am I missing something? Do I have to configure Windows XP Pro to
create the VPN connection. I didn't think so since the PIX boxes seem to be
fully in charge of the VPN connection.

Is the PIX box well suited to the task I'd like to accomplish? If I get
stuck and need to call an IT consultant, I would at least like to know that
I supplied the correct hardware! I'm willing to learn, so any
recommendations of an appropriate book are welcomed. But if my questions
lead you to believe I should outsource this job, let me know.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Lou Chorich

Rik Bain

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 22:45:40 -0600, Lou Chorich wrote:

> My question: Once the site-to-site VPN connection is established, can I
> simply map a network drive to the IP address of the remote system and
> expect the PIX boxes to transmit the data via the VPN? Could it really
> be that easy or am I missing something? Do I have to configure Windows
> XP Pro to create the VPN connection. I didn't think so since the PIX
> boxes seem to be fully in charge of the VPN connection.

The tunnel will forward all unicast IP traffic (depending in IPSEC
policy). Any "windows" drive mappings will rely on the higher layer
protocols to make them work, just as you would expect over any other
cross-subnet routing device.

> Is the PIX box well suited to the task I'd like to accomplish? If I get
> stuck and need to call an IT consultant, I would at least like to know
> that I supplied the correct hardware! I'm willing to learn, so any
> recommendations of an appropriate book are welcomed. But if my
> questions lead you to believe I should outsource this job, let me know.

If you get stuck and purchased the PIX from cisco/reseller you should be
able to call TAC and have someone help you out. Either way, the
equipment is well suited for your task.