Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Building a Computer: Processors that overheat

Building a Computer: Processors that overheat

Matthew

I'm looking at differnet P4 processors to put in the computer that I'm
building and the reviews for almost all the processors say that the
processors overheat. Is there a good 3.0 GHz + processor that doesn't run
so hot? are AMD processors better?

Jim Berwick

"Matthew" <Unknown> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm looking at differnet P4 processors to put in the computer that I'm
> building and the reviews for almost all the processors say that the
> processors overheat.

Malarky, and bullcrap. Properly cooled, no current CPU overheats.

> Is there a good 3.0 GHz + processor that doesn't
> run so hot?

Any that are on the market, provided you follow the manufacturer's
guidelines for cooling.

> are AMD processors better?

I personally don't know about "better", but I say you get a lot more for
your buck with an AMD Athlon XP or AMD Athlon 64 than you do with a P4.

HF

Rubbish - you should get out more and dont believe all you hear !!
"Matthew" <Unknown> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking at differnet P4 processors to put in the computer that I'm
> building and the reviews for almost all the processors say that the
> processors overheat. Is there a good 3.0 GHz + processor that doesn't run
> so hot? are AMD processors better?

---

Matthew

"Jim Berwick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Malarky, and bullcrap. Properly cooled, no current CPU overheats.

That's what I thought until most of the reviews at Newwegg said that th
processor ran dangerously hot. Here are some examples:

"Bought 3.2e Presott boxed could'nt load xp, kept shutting down, until I
place 18" fan in front of open case.I changed mother board from MSI neo to
LAN PARTY875B Still same problem !!! I finally got it to work with 120mm fan
in front of Cpu.--------But it runs 50c idle and over 70.c on games. I just
ordered a good cpu cooler. I hope this helps gets really slow at 70c."

"Bought 3.2e Presott boxed could'nt load xp, kept shutting down, until I
place 18" fan in front of open case.I changed mother board from MSI neo to
LAN PARTY875B Still same problem !!! I finally got it to work with 120mm fan
in front of Cpu.--------But it runs 50c idle and over 70.c on games. I just
ordered a good cpu cooler. I hope this helps gets really slow at 70c."

"outstanding CPU, runs hot though,but performs very hot so it's worth it. I
put a zalman 7000 copper(very heavy be careful) brought my temps. down
11C(37C) at idle and 16C(49-50C) with heavy load. Don't forget to artic
silver 5, too. Was running at 68C with load,WOW..keep it cool"

It sounded like most of the people bought extra fans/ heatsinks to cool down
the processor. I'm wondering if that is necessary Of if a case with a side
and back fan will do the trick.

Wizard

Obviously you have not tried a 3.0 GHz P4. They run hot as a fire
cracker.

Jim Berwick wrote:

> "Matthew" <Unknown> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I'm looking at differnet P4 processors to put in the computer that I'm
> > building and the reviews for almost all the processors say that the
> > processors overheat.

> Malarky, and bullcrap. Properly cooled, no current CPU overheats.
>
> > Is there a good 3.0 GHz + processor that doesn't
> > run so hot?

> Any that are on the market, provided you follow the manufacturer's
> guidelines for cooling.
>
> > are AMD processors better?

> I personally don't know about "better", but I say you get a lot more for
> your buck with an AMD Athlon XP or AMD Athlon 64 than you do with a P4.

JK

The higher performance Prescott chips are very large power consumers.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

You might want to consider using an Athlon 64 processor instead,
especially if you plan to run business software, CAD , Photoshop
or games.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2065&p=1

An Athlon 64 will allow you to upgrade to Windows 64 bit and 64 bit
applications as they become available. 64 bit versions of Linux
are already available, as well as 64 bit compilers that run on Linux.

Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Obviously you have not tried a 3.0 GHz P4. They run hot as a fire
> cracker.

Yes, they run hot. However, if you follow the directions or use the retail
included cooler they will not overheat. If they do, you simply contact
Intel, get a brand new one for free since their product is not working as
promised. Or avoid all the aggravation and get an Athlon 64.

Thor

> Wizard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Obviously you have not tried a 3.0 GHz P4. They run hot as a fire
> > cracker.
> >

> Yes, they run hot. However, if you follow the directions or use the

retail
> included cooler they will not overheat. If they do, you simply contact
> Intel, get a brand new one for free since their product is not working as
> promised. Or avoid all the aggravation and get an Athlon 64.

I'd say when the chip runs that hot, that case design, and component layout
as well as case fan configuration would also play a critical role in keeping
that chip happy. Depending on those factors, it may not be possible for some
people to keep that chip cool enough without expending more funds to change
those other variables. In which case it would make more sense, as you say to
just avoid the aggravation.