Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VOIP with GRE/IPSEC..need help

VOIP with GRE/IPSEC..need help

spremkumar

Hi all

we r in a situation in which the upload VOIP from site A will be thr
GRE and the return VOIP traffic to site A is IPSEC encrypted.

SITE A conencted to Central Site with normal Leased line (with ipse
its in public network)and Site B is connected to Central Site via VSA
(its in private network).so considering the network standard we r usin
IPSEC and GRE for these locations.

Site A access servers in Central site no issues in data accessabilit
.Site B too accessing the servers from Central site .

when i try to make Site A and Site B to communicate , i hve created
GRE Tunnel from Site A with Central site and Routing the VOIP Traffi
thru tht(since Site A in public and Site B private and Public N/W i
blank about private).(both sites with diff SPs)

so one way will be GRE Encrypted upto central site once its reaches th
central site it can reach the SITE B without any issues..(central sit
having connectivity with both the SPs)

but when it comes back (from Site B to Site A)i m not going to put an
reverse route in central router thou the VOIP peer ip will be the IPSE
peer ip too.

so while coming bck it will be ipsec encrypted ..will voip work lik
this ??

hope i hve clearly explained the setup..

pre

spremkuma

Wil Schultz

Will it work? Sure! Will it work well? Probably not!
I would say to give it a go, but set your expectations low.

Wil
my 2
"When everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
something."

spremkumar wrote:
> Hi all
>
> we r in a situation in which the upload VOIP from site A will be thru
> GRE and the return VOIP traffic to site A is IPSEC encrypted.
>
> SITE A conencted to Central Site with normal Leased line (with ipsec
> its in public network)and Site B is connected to Central Site via VSAT
> (its in private network).so considering the network standard we r using
> IPSEC and GRE for these locations.
>
> Site A access servers in Central site no issues in data accessability
> Site B too accessing the servers from Central site .
>
> when i try to make Site A and Site B to communicate , i hve created a
> GRE Tunnel from Site A with Central site and Routing the VOIP Traffic
> thru tht(since Site A in public and Site B private and Public N/W is
> blank about private).(both sites with diff SPs)
>
> so one way will be GRE Encrypted upto central site once its reaches the
> central site it can reach the SITE B without any issues..(central site
> having connectivity with both the SPs)
>
> but when it comes back (from Site B to Site A)i m not going to put any
> reverse route in central router thou the VOIP peer ip will be the IPSEC
> peer ip too.
>
> so while coming bck it will be ipsec encrypted ..will voip work like
> this ??
>
> hope i hve clearly explained the setup..
>
> prem
>

> spremkumar

shope

"Wil Schultz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will it work? Sure! Will it work well? Probably not!
> I would say to give it a go, but set your expectations low.
>
> Wil
> my 2
> "When everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
> something."
>

> spremkumar wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > we r in a situation in which the upload VOIP from site A will be thru
> > GRE and the return VOIP traffic to site A is IPSEC encrypted.
> >
> > SITE A conencted to Central Site with normal Leased line (with ipsec
> > its in public network)and Site B is connected to Central Site via VSAT
> > (its in private network).so considering the network standard we r using
> > IPSEC and GRE for these locations.
> >
> > Site A access servers in Central site no issues in data accessability
> > Site B too accessing the servers from Central site .
> >
> > when i try to make Site A and Site B to communicate , i hve created a
> > GRE Tunnel from Site A with Central site and Routing the VOIP Traffic
> > thru tht(since Site A in public and Site B private and Public N/W is
> > blank about private).(both sites with diff SPs)
> >
> > so one way will be GRE Encrypted upto central site once its reaches the
> > central site it can reach the SITE B without any issues..(central site
> > having connectivity with both the SPs)
> >
> > but when it comes back (from Site B to Site A)i m not going to put any
> > reverse route in central router thou the VOIP peer ip will be the IPSEC
> > peer ip too.
> >
> > so while coming bck it will be ipsec encrypted ..will voip work like
> > this ??

IPsec and GRE shouldnt have any direct effect on voip - packet size is
usually sub 100 bytes. You want to make sure that voip doesnt get Qed behind
other traffic though - what you do depends on what control you have, line
speeds and so on.

round trip time and reliability dictate the voip quality - you may have
problems there.

i worked on a VSAT system in the UK - typical round trip delays were around
600 - 800 mSec, and worst case was a couple of seconds - VoIP is going to
sound terrible or break completely if your network is similar.

check with the voip supplier that their kit can even work with the network
latency you expect - some seem to break with long delays

> > hope i hve clearly explained the setup..
> >
> > prem
> >

> > spremkumar

Regards

spremkumar

hi thks for u r replies..

i m gonna use FXS card and aware of voice quality whichs going t
suffere to lot..

well i will give a try on this and let u know how it works..

pre

spremkuma