Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > crashed computer

crashed computer

Charles

"beryl lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
> whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000 over
> the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000 cd.

Yes well that was your 1st mistake (one of many I suspect) actually your
1st mistake was doing something you know nothing about (installing
operating systems on faulty machines).

If a system has a problem, installing another operating system over the
top, rarely fixes things. Especially if it is not an upgrade version of the
operating system you are using.

> the
> whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont boot from
> a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get into bios but
> i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the usual specs of
> pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram and processor
> type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any key to restart
> any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help

Bios, is usually accessed via the delete key, although could be a number of
different combinations. As for not booting to your floppy disk, 1st make
sure it *is* a bootable floppy, try it in another computer and drive, if it
boots fine there then it's probably a dodgy floppy drive in your friend's
computer.

> please reply by email if conveniant

Most people will reply using the same medium you posted the problem...i.e.
usenet (that's here)

But honestly, it seems to me that you need to double-check that the PC's
specs exceed MS's minimum specs for Win2000. I have always found that MS is
very optimistic about what sort of hardware will run its OS's, ISTR that
they said you could run Win98 on a 486 with 8MB of RAM, and Win95 on a 386
with 4! After you have determined that this is possible, you should boot to
the Win2000 disk and install it. Of course in this case, your friend needs
to kiss his/her data and existing settings good-bye, they have gone to God
by now.

Charles -- finally maybe go see and pay a tech.
--
If some days are diamonds &
Some days are stone --

Charles

"clear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Ken Oaf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of
>> > the

> hard
>> > drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

>> Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of

> memory and
>> 95 on a machine with 16 meg.

> Mr. Magician?

LOL, Hardly! You are showing your lack of age here I think . When Win95
1st came out, 4MB of RAM was the entry-level amnt, and on 486 machines (do
you remember 486SX cpu's?). In its early days, I regularly saw machines
with Win98 running on 8MB RAM, true, not very well...but it was certainly
not unusual at all.

It was a real pain to work onthese machines for customers as it took so
long to do anything, sometimes you didnt even know if the machine had hung
or was just slowly working through whatever arcane algorithms Windows
dictated.

Charles
--
If some days are diamonds &
Some days are stone --
Then some days I live in a quarry!!

Blade

"Ken Oaf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the

hard
> > drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

> Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of

memory and
> 95 on a machine with 16 meg.

I have a 486-DX4-100, with a 500meg hard drive, 4x CD-Rom and only 8 megs of
ram (yes, eight), and it ran Windows 95B quite well back in 1996.

I'm now using it as a network print server, with Windows NT4 with the exact
same innards and it works a charm.

Cheers

Blade

________________________
_ B L _ aussie
Can you help? - http://www.bladesplace.id.au/canyouhelp.html
Contact Email Address (challenge/response system) - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Homepage - http://www.bladesplace.id.au

Blade

"Hunter1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:413125f9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> **** due to laboral budgetary constraints we have work PC's
> running XP on 64 megs. Sure they run like dogs, but they get
> by. 128 megs makes them barely tolerable, but then you've
> got to have the money to get new PCs/memory. As we slowly
> replace the beasts though it's great seeing the relief in
> the faces of the people suddenly running on brand new PC's
> with half a gig of memory.

LOL!

I've got Windows XP SP1 running on my laptop that has 256megs of Ram. It
works quite well. The CPU is an Athalon 1800 though.

My tower PC is also running Windows XP SP1, it only has a 933mhz processor
and only 128megs of Ram, but it also works very well. Even running Remote
Desktop it's still very good.

Cheers

Blade

________________________
_ B L _ aussie
Can you help? - http://www.bladesplace.id.au/canyouhelp.html
Contact Email Address (challenge/response system) - (E-Mail Removed)
Homepage - http://www.bladesplace.id.au

Hunter1

Blade wrote:

> "Hunter1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:413125f9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>**** due to laboral budgetary constraints we have work PC's
>>running XP on 64 megs. Sure they run like dogs, but they get
>>by. 128 megs makes them barely tolerable, but then you've
>>got to have the money to get new PCs/memory. As we slowly
>>replace the beasts though it's great seeing the relief in
>>the faces of the people suddenly running on brand new PC's
>>with half a gig of memory.

> LOL!
>
> I've got Windows XP SP1 running on my laptop that has 256megs of Ram. It
> works quite well. The CPU is an Athalon 1800 though.
>
> My tower PC is also running Windows XP SP1, it only has a 933mhz processor
> and only 128megs of Ram, but it also works very well. Even running Remote
> Desktop it's still very good.

All comes down to how much you're running though, our "power
users" can't get by on the 128 meg machines (of course a 450
meg - 733 meg clock speed doesn't help), yet we have some
that only ever check email and are quite happy with the 64
meg machines apart from the bootup time!

It's the poor bastards with 64 megs and needing 5 or 6 apps
open simultaneously that are truly suffering!

DalienX

atec wrote:

> that has to be the dumbest suggestion yet ...

And your comment is the most irrelivent in the whole thread.

Oh and btw, XP is the latest and most stable OS Bill (wanker) Gates has
put out, so it doesnt seem like a dumb suggestion to me.

--
DalienX

atec

DalienX wrote:

> atec wrote:
>

> > that has to be the dumbest suggestion yet ...

> And your comment is the most irrelivent in the whole thread.
>
> Oh and btw, XP is the latest and most stable OS Bill (wanker) Gates has
> put out, so it doesnt seem like a dumb suggestion to me.

its mechanically demanding you cock spank , do the degree whereby its
very unlikely to run on that machine , however 98se will comfortably so
do remember this is NOT an opportunity for a sale ... and of course we
could mention nix .

--

DalienX

atec wrote:

> its mechanically demanding you cock spank , do the degree whereby its
> very unlikely to run on that machine , however 98se will comfortably
> so do remember this is NOT an opportunity for a sale ... and of
> course we could mention nix .
> >
> > --
> > DalienX

Windows 98se is a nearly 6 year old OS, and a rather crap one at that.
If he cant run XP then he needs to upgrade, although imo if it can run
that gunged up excuse for an os (windows ME) it can run XP.

No need for abuse btw atec, if you cant handle making an intelligent
post without resorting to 4 letter words i suggest you go back to
playing with your playstation.

--
DalienX

atec

simple fact is you don't have the correct answer do you ?. no don't
bother you not clued up at all...

--

Taranis

bmoag wrote:

> You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the
> hard drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

Complete crap in fact win 95/98 do not use memory above 64MB effectively and
having more will actually slow the machine down.