Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > crashed computer

crashed computer

beryl lee

hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up whenever he
tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000 over the top of his
existing system using prompts from the win 2000 cd.the whole thing crashed
halfway through installation,now it wont boot from a floppy and ive tried
pressing each function key to get into bios but i cant get bios to present
itself.it goes through the usual specs of pc like locating cd rom and
showing the hard drive,ram and processor type but then it just says
ntldr is missing press any key to restart
any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
please reply by email if conveniant

Duane Arnold

"beryl lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsH_Xc.11037$(E-Mail Removed):

> hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
> whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000 over
> the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000 cd.the
> whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont boot from
> a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get into bios but
> i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the usual specs of
> pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram and processor
> type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any key to restart
> any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
> please reply by email if conveniant

That means that you have a floppy disk in the drive that is not a boot
disk and you need to remove it and press any key to continue or the HD is
not bootable anymore. You should be able to get into the BIOS well before
that happens and boot from the Win2k Install CD.

Best practice is to format and wipeout ME.

Duane

DalienX

beryl lee wrote:

> hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
> whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000
> over the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000
> cd.the whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont
> boot from a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get
> into bios but i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the
> usual specs of pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram
> and processor type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any
> key to restart any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
> please reply by email if conveniant

del might get you into the bios.
as to the problem..... format it and put XP on

--
DalienX

Anthony

"DalienX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t20Yc.11117$(E-Mail Removed)...
> beryl lee wrote:
>
>> hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
>> whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000
>> over the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000
>> cd.the whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont
>> boot from a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get
>> into bios but i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the
>> usual specs of pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram
>> and processor type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any
>> key to restart any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
>> please reply by email if conveniant

> del might get you into the bios.
> as to the problem..... format it and put XP on

Don't go recommending that. He may only have 64mb of ram and a piece of
**** machine.

Anyway, your first problem is Windows ME. Get rid of it. It's a piece of
**** and you shouldnt be using it.

If you have atleast 256mb of ram (512mb preferred) and a decent CPU put on
XP as suggested. If not, go back to Win98 for you.

But get rid of Win ME.

bmoag

If you get a coherent video signal and get past the first posting beep then
the motherboard and CPU are probably alright. You may have a hard drive that
is failing or a problem with one of the RAM modules. Hard drive failures at
first seem to be anything but a hard drive failure. Most problems of this
nature are actually software related: for example too many programlets
starting at boot time eating all available resources or a corrupt video
driver.

You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the hard
drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

You do not say if this is a new problem in a machine that previously was
stable.

You do not have to reformat the hard drive: you will lose any saved
documents. However you need to see if you can access the hard drive reliably
with a Win98 or WinME startup floppy. You have to learn a few DOS commands
to see if you are able to read what is on the drive at all. Leave the
machine on for a while and try this several times. If the machine crashes
intermittently, especially if you hear unusual clicks, the hard drive is
dying. If you can offload important data onto floppies do it while you can.

If WinME worked previously it should work again, if the hard drive is
usable, but because of what you have done you have to reinstall an operating
system and your programs. IF WinME works on a computer there is no need to
upgrade to XP unless you have a specific reason to do so (and there is no
reason at all to use Win2000). If you have older peripherals and upgrade to
XP you may not be able to find drivers for those peripherals.

WinME has some arcane memory handling problems on some machines running some
intense programs but otherwise is the best version of Win9x for most users
no matter what its detractors say: it is faster than Win98 and allows
rolling back to a previous state. The latter is what you should have done
first but most people fail to realize that will solve many, many problems.

If you do not understand how to do these things pay the money to have a
repair shop look over the machine. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Ken Oaf

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the hard
> drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of memory and
95 on a machine with 16 meg.

atec

DalienX wrote:

> beryl lee wrote:
>
> > hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up
> > whenever he tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000
> > over the top of his existing system using prompts from the win 2000
> > cd.the whole thing crashed halfway through installation,now it wont
> > boot from a floppy and ive tried pressing each function key to get
> > into bios but i cant get bios to present itself.it goes through the
> > usual specs of pc like locating cd rom and showing the hard drive,ram
> > and processor type but then it just says ntldr is missing press any
> > key to restart any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
> > please reply by email if conveniant

> del might get you into the bios.
> as to the problem..... format it and put XP on

that has to be the dumbest suggestion yet ...

--

clear

"Ken Oaf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the

hard
> > drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

> Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of

memory and
> 95 on a machine with 16 meg.

Mr. Magician?

Hunter1

clear wrote:

> "Ken Oaf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:17:16 GMT, "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>You do not say how much RAM/memory is on the machine or the size of the

> hard
>
>>>drive. You need at least 128mbs of memory to run Win9x stably.

>>Rubbish! I have successfully run 98 on a machine with only 32 meg of

> memory and
>
>>95 on a machine with 16 meg.

> Mr. Magician?

**** due to laboral budgetary constraints we have work PC's
running XP on 64 megs. Sure they run like dogs, but they get
by. 128 megs makes them barely tolerable, but then you've
got to have the money to get new PCs/memory. As we slowly
replace the beasts though it's great seeing the relief in
the faces of the people suddenly running on brand new PC's
with half a gig of memory.

95 on 16 megs aint so bad in comparison.

Charles

What on earth are you on about? The OP said:

"hi all,my friend was running windows me and it kept locking up whenever he
tried to start an app.i tried installing windows 2000 over the top of his
existing system using prompts from the win 2000 cd.the whole thing crashed
halfway through installation,now it wont boot from a floppy and ive tried
pressing each function key to get into bios but i cant get bios to present
itself.it goes through the usual specs of pc like locating cd rom and
showing the hard drive,ram and processor type but then it just says
ntldr is missing press any key to restart
any ideas guys,much obliged if you could help
please reply by email if conveniant"

His/her current problem is a stuffed/incomplete install of Win2000, the
fact that the HDD has no valid way of booting (ntldr "missing"), means that
all your twaddle about too many "programlets" loading at boot-time,
is....um...twaddle (in this instance).

> You do not say if this is a new problem in a machine that previously
> was stable.

Yes, s/he did! The original install of Win Me was locking up, re-read the
OP's post before offereing pointless and misleading advice to womeone who
is obviously not very technically savvy. Of course this fact is the *real*
problem, someone who doesn't know what they are doing trying to do
something they shouldn't do (i.e. install Win2000 over the top of Win Me)

> You do not have to reformat the hard drive: you will lose any saved

[snip useful but pointles in this case advice]
> onto floppies do it while you can.

> If you do not understand how to do these things pay the money to have
> a repair shop look over the machine. It will be cheaper in the long
> run.

Finally a piece of sensible advice! The OP obviously does not
understadn that installing an operating system is *not* always just a
matter of stick it in and away you go (Hmmm...probably is a male after
all!)

Charles -- laments people with no idea doing damage they can't fix.
--
If some days are diamonds &
Some days are stone --