Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Here's one for you ....

Here's one for you ....

Wizard

I just built a custom, high end PC for a client with the following:

Intel Board d865gbflk
Intel P4 3.0 GHz CPU 800 BUS, 1 MEG cache
1 MG Crucial Ram 512x2
1 SATA Maxtor drive
ETC.

No mater what I do the cpu runs to 69 deg C when running a Mcafee Virus
scan according to Intel's active monitor

I have updated the BIOS and downloaded a newer ver of "active Monitor"

all to no avail.

I have tried 3 different fans in cluding a ThermalTake adjustable fan.

The best results are with a Speeze cooler.

But still too hot under prolonged load. Otherwise system runs great.
What else can be done?
Should I just assume that the senser chip on the board is wacky?

Jerzy Jezeierski

Wizard, the marinated in ****, heavy-footed flycatcher, and assistant weaver
in the shawl making mill, spilled the beans:
> I just built a custom, high end PC for a client with the following:
>
> Intel Board d865gbflk
> Intel P4 3.0 GHz CPU 800 BUS, 1 MEG cache
> 1 MG Crucial Ram 512x2
> 1 SATA Maxtor drive
> ETC.
>
> No mater what I do the cpu runs to 69 deg C when running a Mcafee
> Virus scan according to Intel's active monitor
>
> I have updated the BIOS and downloaded a newer ver of "active Monitor"
>
> all to no avail.
>
> I have tried 3 different fans in cluding a ThermalTake adjustable fan.
>
> The best results are with a Speeze cooler.
>
> But still too hot under prolonged load. Otherwise system runs great.
> What else can be done?
> Should I just assume that the senser chip on the board is wacky?

You can assume whatever the **** you like.

Stuart

Jerzy Jezeierski wrote:

> You can assume whatever the **** you like.

LOL!

Wizard

Thanks for you help, asshole!

Wizard wrote:
> I just built a custom, high end PC for a client with the following:
>
> Intel Board d865gbflk
> Intel P4 3.0 GHz CPU 800 BUS, 1 MEG cache
> 1 MG Crucial Ram 512x2
> 1 SATA Maxtor drive
> ETC.
>
> No mater what I do the cpu runs to 69 deg C when running a Mcafee Virus
> scan according to Intel's active monitor
>
> I have updated the BIOS and downloaded a newer ver of "active Monitor"
>
> all to no avail.
>
> I have tried 3 different fans in cluding a ThermalTake adjustable fan.
>
> The best results are with a Speeze cooler.
>
> But still too hot under prolonged load. Otherwise system runs great.
> What else can be done?
> Should I just assume that the senser chip on the board is wacky?

Check the heat specs on the intel site to see what they recommend it
should be running at. Also try another motherboard monitoring program,
see if it is giving a different reading. What temperature does it read
in the BIOS and without any loading on the CPU, also try running
something else which will put a high load on the cpu and check the temps
while doing that. I don't think 69 deg C under a heavy load is a problem
for the CPU.

Stuart

Thor

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just built a custom, high end PC for a client with the following:
>
> Intel Board d865gbflk
> Intel P4 3.0 GHz CPU 800 BUS, 1 MEG cache
> 1 MG Crucial Ram 512x2
> 1 SATA Maxtor drive
> ETC.
>
> No mater what I do the cpu runs to 69 deg C when running a Mcafee Virus
> scan according to Intel's active monitor
>
> I have updated the BIOS and downloaded a newer ver of "active Monitor"
>
> all to no avail.
>
> I have tried 3 different fans in cluding a ThermalTake adjustable fan.
>
> The best results are with a Speeze cooler.
>
> But still too hot under prolonged load. Otherwise system runs great.
> What else can be done?
> Should I just assume that the senser chip on the board is wacky?

seems high, obviously, but some of the newer CPUs have higher operating
temps than we have been traditionally used to seeing. I'd check the Intel
specs to see what that chip's safety limit is. If you want a program that
will really stress the CPU, then use Prime95 and run it's torture test. You
should be able to find it somewhere on the net. It will max out the CPU
usage, and push the chip to it's highest operating temp. If the sucker
doesn't lock up or throttle down to protect itself while running that, then
I wouldn't worry about it too much.