Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > purchasing a laptop

purchasing a laptop

Mustafa

I am going to get my first Laptop (notebook) computer, and was wondering
what things should I look out for, especially which models are the best
(below $1,500). I have my eye set on a Toshiba Satellite SA60-332, but
am also considering the Satellite SA50-432 (I want toshiba cause of the
3 years int. warranty)

However I have some questions;

Which is better; Pentium 4, 2.8ghz processor or Centrino 1.5ghz?
What is the bus speed and which is best?
What is the difference between Level 2 cache and the standard one, I
know it's the temporary ram on the chip, but what else. And will a Level
2, 2mb cache really be that fast?

Also, I don't mind changing brands as long as I get a really tough
notebook, I don't care about the weight or the size, be it 15kgs, but I
want toughness more than anything, can anyone recomend a specifc model
(other than the panasonic toughbook)

DeMoN LaG

Mustafa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cgit20$of2@news-
dxb.emirates.net.ae:

> Which is better; Pentium 4, 2.8ghz processor or Centrino 1.5ghz?

Centrino

> What is the bus speed and which is best?

Faster can be better, but only if it is put to use.

> What is the difference between Level 2 cache and the standard one, I

All modern CPUs have L1 and L2 cache. Some even have L3 cache. Don't
worry about it.

> know it's the temporary ram on the chip, but what else. And will a Level
> 2, 2mb cache really be that fast?

Depending on the uses, it can be faster. The best bang per buck laptops on
the market right now feature the Athlon 64 CPUs. Quite a few companies
have A64 models for under $1400.

--
website: http://www.demonlag.com
AIM: FrznFoodClerk

Joe

I went with a Compaq instead of a Toshiba a year ago over one feature. A
scroll bar on the touch pad. The Compaq's and HP's had this but the Toshibas
did not. What it is , is a scroll mouse on the touch pad. By dragging your
finger up and down the scroll pad to the side of the touch pad you can
scroll in a window like in IE with a scroll mouse. This just really made the
using of a touch pad better to me. I Click with my thumb, Move with my
middle finger , and scroll with my 4th finger. I just would not even
consider a laptop without this feature. None of the Toshibas had this when I
was looking.

Joe

news:cgit20$(E-Mail Removed)...