Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Whatever happened to BeOS?

Whatever happened to BeOS?

Weakling

Their webpage http://www.be.com seems to be hijacked by a spam page. Is
this project no longer being developed?

Rv!

This looks interesting.

http://www.beincorporated.com/

WebWalker

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:06:53 -0500, "Weakling" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Their webpage http://www.be.com seems to be hijacked by a spam page. Is
>this project no longer being developed?

If my memory serve me well, the BeOS company was acquired by Palm (PDA
maker). Palm use this company to make their next generation of Palm OS
(version 6) .

--
WebWalker

Sven Bauknecht

Weakling wrote:

> Their webpage http://www.be.com seems to be hijacked by a spam page. Is
> this project no longer being developed?

This is ment to be the actual BeOS:

watch this: http://www.yellowtab.com/

--
Sven

bmoag

I may be one of the only people on earth who still has the original BeOS
install disc.
What do you do with an OS that has no native video drivers, no peripheral
drivers and no useful productivitiy programs?
Usually you let the OS die, which is what happened to BeOS.
Linux is perceived in the same way by most computer users: drivers and
programs exist but the installation routines are not automatic and usually
difficult. The programs and drivers might as well not exist because they
cannot be installed anyway by the average user.

Rv!

> I may be one of the only people on earth who still has the original BeOS
> install disc.
> What do you do with an OS that has no native video drivers, no peripheral
> drivers and no useful productivitiy programs?
> Usually you let the OS die, which is what happened to BeOS.
> Linux is perceived in the same way by most computer users: drivers and
> programs exist but the installation routines are not automatic and usually
> difficult. The programs and drivers might as well not exist because they
> cannot be installed anyway by the average user.

That's a bit extreme, but understandable to me. I know nothing about
Linux but now need to learn a bit. Evert step I move I get kicked in the
nuts by the difficult syntax and awkward logisitics in Linux, simply due to
my knowledge. The same almost stands for Mac systems.
Linux is worth while but difficult to learn which is basically why I am
never
going to be any good with it. Life is short, and learning the depths of
Linux
and Windows systems will take too long for me. I played with BEOS
in the original versions and decided it was not worth a go so dropped it.

Windows I can do, Linux I want to do but keep stumbling!
Rv!