Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What is lowest noise in Power Supplies?

What is lowest noise in Power Supplies?

Ritter197

What should I look in a 300 watt PS for windowsxp as the lowest DB?
Without going to extreme cooling with liquid etc?

Michael W. Ryder

Ritter197 wrote:
> What should I look in a 300 watt PS for windowsxp as the lowest DB?
> Without going to extreme cooling with liquid etc?

endpcnoise.com has a 350 watt power supply with a rating of less than 20 db.

Jim Macklin

Get a 400 Watt PS with a thermal fan controller, it will run
cooler. Get a quality power supply from a name brand
supplier.
Liquid cooling is for the CPU, and other components,
including the hard drive.

Try the Google for "quiet pc"
Build A Quiet PC How To Build A Quiet PC. There are a
thousand and one articles out there that give you methods
for quieting your PC. ... 2) WHEN PLANNING YOUR QUIET PC BUY
SMART. ...
www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/buildaquietpc.html -
19k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.endpcnoise.com ]

Quiet Computers ... The following products are designed for
noise-conscious users and applications such as music
studios: | A Guide to a Quiet PC | How to Build a Quiet PC?
www.directron.com/silence.html - 44k - Aug 17, 2004 -
Cached - Similar pages

How to Build a Quiet PC? A Simple Guide ... Operate your
PC at your own risk. (Last updated 9-6-01) (c)
Directron.com, All Rights Reserved Related Items: | Products
for a Quiet PC | Gallery | ...
www.directron.com/quietpc.html - 42k - Cached -
Similar pages
[ More results from www.directron.com ]

www.envynews.com/gibs.php?ID=393 1k - Cached - Similar pages

RipNet-UK.com :: Quiet PC Radial Fin CPU coolers Quiet PC
Radial Fin CPU Coolers. Review item: Quiet PC Radial Fin CPU
Coolers. Review by: Rip. Date: 26 Aug 2003. Supplier: Quiet
PC. RRP: £18. Introduction. ...

http://www.ripnet-uk.com/reviews/coo...pc/index.shtml -
27k - Cached - Similar pages

"Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| What should I look in a 300 watt PS for windowsxp as the
lowest DB?
| Without going to extreme cooling with liquid etc?

Jerry G.

Have you considered having the PC in another room, or a cupboard that can be
cooled as well? You can remote the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and even a CDR
and floppy drive. With an LCD monitor, and just the essentials on a desk, it
makes a nice clean area to work.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
What should I look in a 300 watt PS for windowsxp as the lowest DB?
Without going to extreme cooling with liquid etc?

Ritter197

That would be a great idea but not for me. The next room is the formal
living room.

The computer sits under the specially designed computer desk and I insulated
with acoustic tiles the sides and top of the little "cubbyhole" meant for
the computer.

It is not a very loud noise, rather a constant low hum, but noticeable
nevertheless. Even with the TV on nearby.

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you considered having the PC in another room, or a cupboard that can

be
> cooled as well? You can remote the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and even a

CDR
> and floppy drive. With an LCD monitor, and just the essentials on a desk,

it
> makes a nice clean area to work.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> ==========================
>

> "Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What should I look in a 300 watt PS for windowsxp as the lowest DB?
> Without going to extreme cooling with liquid etc?

Jim Macklin

Buy a Bose headset with noise canceling.

"Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
| That would be a great idea but not for me. The next room
is the formal
| living room.
|
| The computer sits under the specially designed computer
desk and I insulated
| with acoustic tiles the sides and top of the little
"cubbyhole" meant for
| the computer.
|
| It is not a very loud noise, rather a constant low hum,
but noticeable
| nevertheless. Even with the TV on nearby.
|

| "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Have you considered having the PC in another room, or a
cupboard that can
| be
| > cooled as well? You can remote the monitor, mouse,
keyboard, and even a
| CDR
| > and floppy drive. With an LCD monitor, and just the
essentials on a desk,
| it
| > makes a nice clean area to work.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Jerry G.
| > ==========================
| >

| > "Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > What should I look in a 300 watt PS for windowsxp as
the lowest DB?
| > Without going to extreme cooling with liquid etc?

Ritter197

Got it, but too cumbersome to wear all the time.
I was thinking of the NEXUS NX3500, 350 Watts PS with 120 mm fan. Anybody
have this one?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Buy a Bose headset with noise canceling.
>

> "Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> | That would be a great idea but not for me. The next room
> is the formal
> | living room.
> |
> | The computer sits under the specially designed computer
> desk and I insulated
> | with acoustic tiles the sides and top of the little
> "cubbyhole" meant for
> | the computer.
> |
> | It is not a very loud noise, rather a constant low hum,
> but noticeable
> | nevertheless. Even with the TV on nearby.
> |

> | "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | > Have you considered having the PC in another room, or a
> cupboard that can
> | be
> | > cooled as well? You can remote the monitor, mouse,
> keyboard, and even a
> | CDR
> | > and floppy drive. With an LCD monitor, and just the
> essentials on a desk,
> | it
> | > makes a nice clean area to work.
> | >
> | > --
> | >
> | > Jerry G.
> | > ==========================
> | >

> | > "Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | > What should I look in a 300 watt PS for windowsxp as
> the lowest DB?
> | > Without going to extreme cooling with liquid etc?

Jim Macklin

The big fans are quieter. Dirt on the fan blades makes
noise, keep it clean.

"Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Got it, but too cumbersome to wear all the time.
| I was thinking of the NEXUS NX3500, 350 Watts PS with 120
mm fan. Anybody
| have this one?

in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Buy a Bose headset with noise canceling.
| >

| > "Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | That would be a great idea but not for me. The next
room
| > is the formal
| > | living room.
| > |
| > | The computer sits under the specially designed
computer
| > desk and I insulated
| > | with acoustic tiles the sides and top of the little
| > "cubbyhole" meant for
| > | the computer.
| > |
| > | It is not a very loud noise, rather a constant low
hum,
| > but noticeable
| > | nevertheless. Even with the TV on nearby.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > | news:(E-Mail Removed)...
or a
| > cupboard that can
| > | be
| > keyboard, and even a
| > | CDR
| > essentials on a desk,
| > | it

as
| > the lowest DB?

| > |
| > |

Nathan McNulty

Also, you can mod your power supply. Check the housing and see if it is
possible to swap out the existing fan with a better fan. I would
recommend the largest fan that will fit (120 mm?). Look at the Panaflow
fans as they generally have very good sound to air movement ratios. Be
careful when modding the power supply as it still retains power even
after unplugging it. I have done this on a couple of my Enermax power
supplies and they run much quieter as well as cooler!

----
Nathan McNulty

Jim Macklin wrote:
> The big fans are quieter. Dirt on the fan blades makes
> noise, keep it clean.

Ritter197

Thanks for the advice. I will take a look and see whether it can be done
easily.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...