Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Scandisk/Defrag Flash Memory Cards?

Scandisk/Defrag Flash Memory Cards?

JTJersey

I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

Thor

"JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A_QUc.25935$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
> Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
> card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
> --
> Registered Linux User #267152

can't see how it would really help. Accessing one area of flash memory
shouldn't take any longer than any other area, unlike a harddrive where
having fragmented files forces the drive to access multiple areas of the
platter(s) to read all parts of that file, increasing the response time of
the drive. So I don't really see a benefit in defragging a solid state
memory device.

JTJersey

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:22:38 -0400, Thor wrote:

> "JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:A_QUc.25935$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
>> Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
>> card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
>> --
>> Registered Linux User #267152

> can't see how it would really help. Accessing one area of flash memory
> shouldn't take any longer than any other area, unlike a harddrive where
> having fragmented files forces the drive to access multiple areas of the
> platter(s) to read all parts of that file, increasing the response time of
> the drive. So I don't really see a benefit in defragging a solid state
> memory device.

Do you think there would be any harm in it?

--
Registered Linux User #267152

Jerry G.

If you defragmenter a Flash Card there should not be any harm. You are
moving the data around on it like a disk drive. This card is a disk drive to
begin with. This is rather interesting, because I use a lot of Flash Cards,
and never thought to defrag one! I can see Scandisk being run on one to try
to recover some lost data, fix some lost chains, or recover some data that
is acting like a bad sector.

As for the advantage of defragging a Flash Card, I cannot see anything to
gain. There are no mechanical moving parts, as such in a hard drive, that
must be constantly moving at very high speeds to various mechanical
positions to read the data.

When the data on the surface of the disk is fragmented all over the place,
then the head has to work harder at a very high speed to move from one
distant place to the other to gather the data. This will consume more time,
thus slowing the average disk read.

In a Flash Card, which is a memory card, all the control and operation is
electrical. The memory address locations have to be read from the FAT, and
calculated to be properly addressed to access the information. I would think
in theory, that the less work that has to be done to read and write to the
card, the faster the performance would be. But, being all in RAM and not
having any mechanical operations,

I would think that the speed difference would be very minute, and may be in
the magnitude that would be difficult to measure and evaluate in any
practical means. I am sure that there are some lab set-ups where they are
equipped to measure the speed difference from a Flash Card, by the way it is
fragmented or not.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

"JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:A_QUc.25935$(E-Mail Removed).. .
I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

Thor

"JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QPSUc.122569$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:22:38 -0400, Thor wrote:
>

> > "JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:A_QUc.25935$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
> >> Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
> >> card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
> >> --
> >> Registered Linux User #267152

> > can't see how it would really help. Accessing one area of flash memory
> > shouldn't take any longer than any other area, unlike a harddrive where
> > having fragmented files forces the drive to access multiple areas of the
> > platter(s) to read all parts of that file, increasing the response time

of
> > the drive. So I don't really see a benefit in defragging a solid state
> > memory device.

> Do you think there would be any harm in it?

Not likely.

Drifter

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:22:38 -0400, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:A_QUc.25935$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> I use a compact flash card to transfer files between some Linux and
>> Windows computers. I occasionally run scandisk and defrag on the flash
>> card. Is this a good idea or not? Thanks.
>> --
>> Registered Linux User #267152

>can't see how it would really help. Accessing one area of flash memory
>shouldn't take any longer than any other area, unlike a harddrive where
>having fragmented files forces the drive to access multiple areas of the
>platter(s) to read all parts of that file, increasing the response time of
>the drive. So I don't really see a benefit in defragging a solid state
>memory device.

Thor, I would tend to agree with you except for one thing. I have a
512mb SD card in my iPAQ and after a while it seemed like accessing
anything in the card was getting slower and slower. Just for a lark I
defragged it. Bam, right back up to the speed I was used to before.
I really don't understand why it worked and nobody else has been able
to explain it either but there it is.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."