Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > 1.0 mB Floppy disks

1.0 mB Floppy disks

John Rampling

I've got these old 1.0 mB (720 kB actual data capacity) floppy disks that I
kept for a few years in case they came in useful. After all, if I only want
to post a simple Word document to someone, it seems wasteful to spend a lot
of money on expensive modern 1.44 mB disks when these older disks are still
serviceable. (Cue background noise of computer bores mumbling "Call that
old? I remember when 320 kB floppies were the latest thing . . . they really
were floppy in those days too . . . none of these modern rigid cases etc . .
.. blether . . .blether. . ."

Thing is, my new computer will not read them. Nor can I format them, because
WinXP only seems to offer the option of 1.44 mB.

Now don't trouble yourselves telling me clever ways of recovering the lost
data etc - I have already thrown them into the dustbin (sorry, trash can).
My question is, are these disks now officially obsolete? and when did it
happen?

John

Spajky

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:58:25 GMT, "John Rampling"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got these old 1.0 mB (720 kB actual data capacity) floppy disks

>Thing is, my new computer will not read them. Nor can I format them, because
>WinXP only seems to offer the option of 1.44 mB.

IMHO this a new feature of winXP!
(can not read also 1,7 dmf MS own format FDs)

no problem with W9x !
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Hawajakaa Atanifanya

John Rampling wrote:
> I've got these old 1.0 mB (720 kB actual data capacity) floppy disks
> that I kept for a few years in case they came in useful. After all,
> if I only want to post a simple Word document to someone, it seems
> wasteful to spend a lot of money on expensive modern 1.44 mB disks
> when these older disks are still serviceable

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thor

"John Rampling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5FkUc.62$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got these old 1.0 mB (720 kB actual data capacity) floppy disks that

> kept for a few years in case they came in useful. After all, if I only

want
> to post a simple Word document to someone, it seems wasteful to spend a

lot
> of money on expensive modern 1.44 mB disks when these older disks are

still
> serviceable. (Cue background noise of computer bores mumbling "Call that
> old? I remember when 320 kB floppies were the latest thing . . . they

really
> were floppy in those days too . . . none of these modern rigid cases etc .

..
> . blether . . .blether. . ."
>
> Thing is, my new computer will not read them. Nor can I format them,

because
> WinXP only seems to offer the option of 1.44 mB.
>
> Now don't trouble yourselves telling me clever ways of recovering the lost
> data etc - I have already thrown them into the dustbin (sorry, trash can).
> My question is, are these disks now officially obsolete? and when did it
> happen?

Christ! are you really that much of a tightwad that you can't bear the
thought of throwing out those 720k disks? Pitch those 720K dinosaurs for
crying out loud! They aren't worth the fuss. 1.44MB diskettes aren't
expensive, and haven't been for many years. Hell, I wouldn't even bother
using the 1.44s. Just use a CDRW disk, to tote your casual files around.
Your new computer more than likely has a CDRW drive.

John Rampling

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Christ! are you really that much of a tightwad that you can't bear the
> thought of throwing out those 720k disks? Pitch those 720K dinosaurs for
> crying out loud! They aren't worth the fuss. 1.44MB diskettes aren't
> expensive, and haven't been for many years. Hell, I wouldn't even bother
> using the 1.44s. Just use a CDRW disk, to tote your casual files around.
> Your new computer more than likely has a CDRW drive.

Pity about you, Thor. I always thought you had a sense of humour. I seem to
have been wrong.

Thor

"John Rampling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:80rUc.2785$%%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Christ! are you really that much of a tightwad that you can't bear the
> > thought of throwing out those 720k disks? Pitch those 720K dinosaurs for
> > crying out loud! They aren't worth the fuss. 1.44MB diskettes aren't
> > expensive, and haven't been for many years. Hell, I wouldn't even bother
> > using the 1.44s. Just use a CDRW disk, to tote your casual files around.
> > Your new computer more than likely has a CDRW drive.
> >

> Pity about you, Thor. I always thought you had a sense of humour. I seem

> have been wrong.

If you were being facetious, then I missed your attempt at levity and I
apologize. Sometimes it helps to put a little on your statements when
kidding around, John. It seemed to me that you were completely serious about
not wanting to get rid of a batch of 720k disks. I've seen stranger
attitudes on Usenet, so it didn't strike me as obvious that you were
kidding.

Jerry G.

I've been hearing that in a few years, a floppy drive will no longer be
standard with a computer. It will be an extra add-on. The floppy drive is
more like an extra utility.

You can almost get a small flash card for the price of a box of floppies a
few years ago. The reader/writer is the same price as a floppy drive. I am
now using 16 and 32 mb flashcards instead of floppies. I also have a few at
256 mb and larger, for the larger files. I only burn CD disks of the files
that I want to keep permanently.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

[...]

George

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Rampling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:80rUc.2785$%%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > Christ! are you really that much of a tightwad that you can't bear the
> > > thought of throwing out those 720k disks? Pitch those 720K dinosaurs

for
> > > crying out loud! They aren't worth the fuss. 1.44MB diskettes aren't
> > > expensive, and haven't been for many years. Hell, I wouldn't even

bother
> > > using the 1.44s. Just use a CDRW disk, to tote your casual files

around.
> > > Your new computer more than likely has a CDRW drive.
> > >

> > Pity about you, Thor. I always thought you had a sense of humour. I

seem
> > have been wrong.

> If you were being facetious, then I missed your attempt at levity and I
> apologize. Sometimes it helps to put a little on your statements when
> kidding around, John. It seemed to me that you were completely serious

about
> not wanting to get rid of a batch of 720k disks. I've seen stranger
> attitudes on Usenet, so it didn't strike me as obvious that you were
> kidding.

I know what you mean...I am STILL ticked that I cannot use my RX02 DEC
floppies
on my PC. I guess nobody ever bothered to interface a Shugart 800 drive to
a PC.

John Rampling

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> If you were being facetious, then I missed your attempt at levity and I
> apologize. Sometimes it helps to put a little on your statements when
> kidding around, John. It seemed to me that you were completely serious
> about
> not wanting to get rid of a batch of 720k disks. I've seen stranger
> attitudes on Usenet, so it didn't strike me as obvious that you were
> kidding.

Thank you for your gracious reply. But it is premature to throw out the 1.44
mB floppies just yet. They remain vastly superior to CDs in terms of
convenience and reusability, at least for the sending of small files. When
we have a common standard for CD and CDRW protocols then perhaps the FD can
be consigned to history, but not for a while yet.

John

Oh yes - I mustn't forget the

Ardent

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got these old 1.0 mB (720 kB actual data capacity) floppy disks that I

I do not know whether this will work but worth a try.

You will have a hole at bottom left which can be closed with the
slider to write protect the disc.

Now make a similar hole, round hole will do, at the bottom right of
the floppy. You will not damage the disc inside but do not use too
much pressure.

Now try to format in the xp machine and post the results here.

--
Sandy Archer
Reply to newsgroups only