Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Outlook help please

Outlook help please

M@gic

Hi
Just started using Microsoft Outlook instead of Outlook Express for
emails...trouble is when I click on Send/Receive a window pops up called
Windows Installer with a message in saying Preparing to Install.
It then stays on while the download of email starts.
The download of the emails is SLOW...38 emails (with a total of only 181kb)
took over 20 mins.
Even 2 emails with a total of under 3kb take 1 min to download.
I have tried the Detect & Repair button....no help.
I don't have this problem on my laptop where I don't have Outlook Express
installed at all....could the problem be something to do with the fact that
although I not using OE on my desktop it is still installed and, if I have
to uninstall OE, is there anyway to transfer the 2000+ emails I have
archived in one of my folders to Outlook..?

Thanks!

Martin

Kaius

If it's happening in Outlook, it must be happening in Word, Excel, etc...
This is a new problem happening in Office XP. The only way to really fix
it is to have the installation disc available, and let it install the
necessary files to run it properly. You only have to do this once. It has
something to do with a startup file that was probably deleted.

"M@gic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfe3gi$21p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Just started using Microsoft Outlook instead of Outlook Express for
> emails...trouble is when I click on Send/Receive a window pops up called
> Windows Installer with a message in saying Preparing to Install.
> It then stays on while the download of email starts.
> The download of the emails is SLOW...38 emails (with a total of only

181kb)
> took over 20 mins.
> Even 2 emails with a total of under 3kb take 1 min to download.
> I have tried the Detect & Repair button....no help.
> I don't have this problem on my laptop where I don't have Outlook Express
> installed at all....could the problem be something to do with the fact

that
> although I not using OE on my desktop it is still installed and, if I have
> to uninstall OE, is there anyway to transfer the 2000+ emails I have
> archived in one of my folders to Outlook..?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Martin

M@gic

So I uninstall Outlook or the whole Office XP..?
Will I lose my emails...?
Is there a way I can save them?

Thanks for your help

Martin

"Kaius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ASxSc.5829$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If it's happening in Outlook, it must be happening in Word, Excel, etc...
> This is a new problem happening in Office XP. The only way to really fix
> it is to have the installation disc available, and let it install the
> necessary files to run it properly. You only have to do this once. It

has
> something to do with a startup file that was probably deleted.
>

> "M@gic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cfe3gi$21p$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > Just started using Microsoft Outlook instead of Outlook Express for
> > emails...trouble is when I click on Send/Receive a window pops up called
> > Windows Installer with a message in saying Preparing to Install.
> > It then stays on while the download of email starts.
> > The download of the emails is SLOW...38 emails (with a total of only

> 181kb)
> > took over 20 mins.
> > Even 2 emails with a total of under 3kb take 1 min to download.
> > I have tried the Detect & Repair button....no help.
> > I don't have this problem on my laptop where I don't have Outlook

Express
> > installed at all....could the problem be something to do with the fact

> that
> > although I not using OE on my desktop it is still installed and, if I

have
> > to uninstall OE, is there anyway to transfer the 2000+ emails I have
> > archived in one of my folders to Outlook..?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Martin

Stuart

M@gic wrote:

> So I uninstall Outlook or the whole Office XP..?
> Will I lose my emails...?
> Is there a way I can save them?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Martin

No, you just need to have your installation disc sitting in the drive
and so when the 'prepare for install' window pops up it will find the cd
and do whatever it needs, once it has done that you should not get the
message again.

Stuart