Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > format a drive remotely

format a drive remotely

Tsun Szu

Is it possible to help format someone else's hard drive remotely. My PC is
using win98se and that someone else's PC is using winXP. Can I install MS
Plus to do this? Any other alternative method/software that I can use?

Pepperoni

Your best method to "help" someone format his drive is to direct him to his
help files for the proper proceedure. Formatting isn't difficult, the
instructions are straightforward, and the process proceeds automatically
once initiated.
*****************
(Win9
help/"formatting disks" (related topics)
^^^^^^^^^
To format a disk on which Windows 98 is installed

Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, and then click OK.

Press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
appears.

Select Command prompt only and press ENTER.

At the C:\ prompt, type format c: and press ENTER.

Follow the instructions on your screen.

Caution

Formatting a disk removes all information from the disk. Your computer may
not function if you format the disk (usually the C: drive) on which Windows
98 is installed.

"Tsun Szu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:411a40f7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to help format someone else's hard drive remotely. My PC is
> using win98se and that someone else's PC is using winXP. Can I install MS
> Plus to do this? Any other alternative method/software that I can use?

Stuart

Tsun Szu wrote:

> Is it possible to help format someone else's hard drive remotely. My PC is
> using win98se and that someone else's PC is using winXP. Can I install MS
> Plus to do this? Any other alternative method/software that I can use?

What about guiding the other person over the phone?

Stuart

Rv!

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cfqfut$9oc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What about guiding the other person over the phone?
> Stuart

I was doing that the other day with a customer. We FDISKed the
drive and created two partitions as they needed, went through all
the usual crap stuff creating them (Win98.) Anyway near the end I
remember to say "Set the first partition active" and the customer then
re-run FDISK... Well, he couldn't, no matter what I said, rebooting
from 98se CD, going all through it spelling everything, you know what
I mean. Anyway, the call ends and he's off to try again. An hour later
he's back again still can't get FDISK to work and the HDD will not
boot. I try again, spelling everything again only to hear...

"Oh it's not spelt F D I S C? Maybe that was the problem?"

Sometimes, I could cry, sometimes I could slap them so hard!

Rv!
(Hello to the idiot in South Queensferry, Edinburgh!)

Trent©

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:53:18 +0800, "Tsun Szu" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is it possible to help format someone else's hard drive remotely.

Help? Sure...by telephone.

If you want to CONTROL his computer...and do it remotely THAT
way...yes, there are programs out there that you can install and take
control of his computer. But you'll only be able format any secondary
drives...not his boot drive.

>My PC is
>using win98se and that someone else's PC is using winXP. Can I install MS
>Plus to do this?

No.

>Any other alternative method/software that I can use?

Google for VNC remote control. There are many other program like
that...including PC Anywhere.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Over 50? Go here...in PERSON if you can...
http://web.wxyz.com/cars/wdc2004/